Excavation at Fort Chadbourne
Members of the Concho Valley Archeological Society, at the invitation of Garland and Lana Richards, conducted excavation work at Fort Chadbourne on Saturday, May 11, 2002. The work centered primarily on excavation of the foundation of what may have been an officers' building. This foundation is adjacent to the house originally begun for Robert E. Lee in anticipation of his tranfer to Fort Chadbourne; however, his orders were changed and he was sent to another fort. The proposed Robert E. Lee house was completed after the abandonment of Fort Chadbourne and was occupied by a family named, Fountain. The house is now known as the Fountain House and has been restored under the guidance of Garland and Lana Richards, on whose ranch the Fort is located.
Items found during the recent excavation included glass and pottery Shards, portions of glass bottles, square nails, small pieces of metal, a musket firing primer, metal and pearl buttons, and a tooth. The excavation was under the direction and supervision of Larry Riemenschneider of Veribest, who is a Regional Steward with the Divison of Archeology, The Texas Historical Commission, and also a member of the Concho Valley Archeological Society.
On June 22, Fort Chadbourne Days at Historic Fort Chadbourne will celebrate the Fort's 150th anniversary. Historical re-enactments, entertainment, and activities for all ages are planned. The Concho Valley Archeological Society will also be conducting additional excavation work as part of the activities.
If you would like more information pertaining to historic or prehistoric archeological sites, contact 325-653-8216.
Observer/Enterprise, Friday, May 31, 2002 - Permission granted by Observer/Enterprise for publication in the Coke County TXGenWeb Archives.
Including articles from the Observer/Enterprise & San Angelo Standard-Times
|Fort Chadbourne Homepage|
|Fort Chadbourne Receives Grant - 5 Jan 2001|
|Fort Chadbourne Foundation Receives an $830.00 Donation|
|Fort Chadbourne Recipient of Gun Collection - 9 Feb 2001
Note - The gun collection was subsequently sold to raise money for the restoration.
|Fort Nears Completion of Stabilization Project - 17 August 2001|
|Photo of the East Barracks - 20 September 2002|
|Fort Chardbourne Post Office|
|Fort Chardbourne established in 1852|
|Fort Chardbourne History - from a 1906 newstory|
|Fort Chadbourne - Outpost of the Frontier|
A TRIP BACK IN TIMEDon"t miss this account of a journey to Ft. Chadbourne with terrific pictures!