Albert Burleson ( Burrell) BROWN
Born: September 08, 1832, McNairy County , Tennesse
Married: abt. 1853, unknown.
Date of Death: May 11, 1870, Coleman County , Texas
Burial: 1870, Flat Top Ranch Cemetery near Leaday, Texas
Spouse: Susan Elizabeth UPTON, daughter of James Upton & Elizabeth -----UPTON
Born : July 31, 1832 in Georgia.
The town of Stacy was originally called Browntown for Susan Elizabeth Brown & her daughter Mattie's mother in law Julia Ann Norris Brown. Handbook of Texas Online: STACY, TX
She died on April 20, 1908 in Edith, Texas, Coke County, TX. She is buried in Robert Lee, Texas.
Albert Burleson was also called A.B. or Burl or Burrell Brown. His parents were Andrew BROWN and Rhoda SWAIN. His family had moved to Tishomingo County, Mississippi by 1840. It appears that Burrell's parents has died by 1850.
Neither are on the census at this time but Burrell's brothers and sisters are there. Burrell moves to Henderson County, Texas by the early 1850's. He is granted a land grant. Perhaphs this is where Susan and Burrell meets. Both are in Henderson County at the time .Burrell and Susan pursues their quest to a new land by going to Parker County. Records indicates them there about 1853. Burrell receives a Parker County Land Grant and it is Abstact # 80. Burrell and Susan endured many hardships of pioneer life. In the year of 1854-1874 Parker County, Texas was a major center for many major Indian raids . Burrell and his family saw the effects of many deaths and hardships that were encountered by their family and friends . Burrell and his family had to leave Parker county for their safety due to the Indian raids for a time . Burrell moves to Palo Pinto County then Brown county for a time to escape the Indian Raids. But by 1870 Burrell and his family were living in Coleman County, Texas. Burrell was killed by Indians there. Lee Stockman has written a story based on his research about the "KILLING OF BURRELL BROWN "
Children Of Susan Elizabeth & Albert Burleson (Burrell) Brown were :
- 1. Sophrony Elmina (Mina) BROWN, married 1. Henry DeLANEY, 2. Joe CLIFTON
- 2. Mary Adaline BROWN married John Wright COFFEY, son of Richard COFFEY & Sarah GREATHOUSE COFFEY
- 3. Albert Berry BROWN, married Mary Jane NORRIS, daughter of James Claibourne NORRIS & Margaret Ann AMASON NORRIS daughter of Matthew and Louisa AMASON .
- 4. Martha C. (Mattie) BROWN, born 1860, died 1925, buried Robert Lee Cemetery, Robert Lee, TX; married James Claibourne ( J.C.) BROWN, son of James Walker BROWN and Julia Ann NORRIS BROWN (James Claibourne Norris & Julia Ann Norris were brother and sister.) 1900 Census - Image 13-17A
- 1. Dona Brown, born 1876 married 28 Jun 1899, Coke County, TX, J. R. ARNETT
- 2. James Brown, born 1880
- 3. Susie Brown, born 1882, married Albert ARNETT
- 4. Kellie Brown, born 31 May 1885, died 12 Sep 1966, buried Paint Creek Cemetery, Coke County, TX married 3 Jan 1906, Coke County, TX, Hubert FIELDS, born 28 Oct 1886, died 25 Nov 1949, buried Paint Creek Cemetery, Coke County, TX
- 5. Monroe Jackson (Stoney) BROWN (never married)
Bonita Copeland and Wanda Smith, Coke County Cemeteries Epitaphs and Dates, S. & S. Printing, Bronte, TX, July, 1995
1900 Coke County Census, Smith County TXGenWeb Archives
Obituary of Susan E. Brown - Source unknown
Marriage Records, Coke County, TX