From THE NEW ENCYLCOPEDIA OF TEXAS, pub. ca 1930, Vol. IV, pg 3633. Published in "Stalkin' Kin", Volume 4, Number 3, page 144, a publication of the San Angelo Genealogical & Historical Society. Permission granted for use on this page.
D. R. Campbell, vice president, director, and stockholder of the First State Bank of Robert Lee, has land interests in Nolan and Coke Counties, and formerly engaged in ranching in this section. The First State Bank of Robert Lee was organized more than a quarter of a century ago, and is one of the strongest financial institutions serving this section. It is capitalized for thirty thousand dollars and has a thirty thousand dollar surplus. It owns its own banking home, a one story brick building in the heart of the business section, and the officers and directors are men of financial and moral integrity. Other officers are F. Roe, president; W. W. McCutcheon, cashier; and W. M. Simpson and J. S. Craddock additional directors. Mr. Campbell was made a director and vice president in 1920, and has remained with the Bank since then. He also owns one section of ranch land in the southwestern part of Nolan County, and four hundred and eighty acres three miles west of Sanco, in Coke County, making his home on this place. He is not running any cattle at present, having retired from active ranching in 1919, on account of ill health. His time since then has been devoted to this other interests, and to handling personal loans, of which he makes a great many.
D. R. Campbell was born in Tennessee, on the fifth day of October, 1869, a son of J. H. Campbell and Rhoda A. Campbell. J. H. Campbell, a native of Ontario, Canada, born October 8, 1839, went to Tennessee as a young man and was married there. Mrs. Campbell being a native of that state. He farmed in Tennessee until 1876 when he came to Texdas, locating in McLennan County, about twelve miles north of Waco. He farmed there until 1889, and moved to West Texas, locating in Tom Green County. He bought a ranch and moved to West Texas, locating in Tom Green County. He bought a ranch three miles west of Sanco, this ranch now being in Coke County, which he helped organize. He operated this for many years, but is now retired. He is more than ninety years old. Mr. Campbell is one of the most honored and venerable pioneers of Texas, and of Coke County, and has lived on his present ranch for nearly half a century. Mrs. Campbell is deceased. They had four children, two sons, and two daughters, one of whom is deceased. D. R. Campbell was educated in McLennan County, and ranched with his father in Tom Green County from 1888 until 1891, when he went to Mitchell County and spent fifteen years on the F. F. McKenzie ranch, also running a string of his own cattle and buying school and railroad land. His first cattle were mixed shorthorns. He later graded these up to some extent, retiring from the cattle business in 1915.
Mr. Campbell is a Mason, Blue Lodge, Chapter and Council at Colorado City, Royal Arch, at Colorado City, demitted to the Blue Lodge and Chapter at Robert Lee.
(Notes by contributor: John H. Campbell, father of the subject was buried in the Sanco Cemetery - "1838-1934". His wife, Rhoda A., "1847-1928" is also buried there.)