From Historical & Progress Edition of the Bronte Enterprise
Dr. J. F. Clark was one of first physicians, if not first, in area. Dr. and Mrs. Clark came to Bronte in 1883 from Palo Pinto County. Originally they were both from North Georgia and resided for a time in Erath County after coming to Texas. After coming to what is now Coke County, they made their home north of Cedar Mountain and he at one time owned the Cottage Hotel, which is the present home of Wylie Clark (in 1964). He practiced medicine mostly on horseback and sometimes by buggy. He died at an early age in 1914 of pneumonia. Mrs. Clark died in 1935.
Four of their eight children survive (in 1964). They are Wylie Clark of Bronte and Riley Clark of Austin (twins), Mrs. Robert (Minnie) Knierim of Bronte and Miss Hettie Clark of San Antonio. The four deceased children include Forrest Clark, Mrs. Mae Walton, Mrs. Tannie Luttrell and Cova Bennett.
Dr. Clark was here before the organization of Coke County and was one of the persons who was instrumental in the organization of the county in 1889.