TheTXGenWebProject



TO

Cottle County, Texas




The sponsor for Cottle County is:

Vickye Ann Hollar White Class of 1961


If you would be interested in helping with this website, please contact me or the state coordinator.

2012 Dumont Reunion

Cottle County Info

Cottle County was created in 1876 from Fannin county and was attached to Fannin for administration until 1887 when it was attached to Childress County for administrative purposes. Cottle was organized in 1892 with Paducah as the County seat. It was named for George Washington Cottle, 1811-1836. Cottle was one of the 183 men who died defending the Alamo. The first inhabited area near the county was Tee Pee City, an old Comanche campground in Motley County just west of the Cottle County line began about 1875. Located near the confluence of Tee Pee Creek and (Tounge) Middle Pease River as a trading post for the buffalo hunters and surveying parties. The wide open settlement with its shootings and drunken brawls was such a bad influence that the Matador Land and Cattle Company declared Tee Pee City off limits to its cowboys. When an opportunity arose, the ranch bought the land Tee Pee City was located on and closed the site down.

Cottle County located in Northwest Texas, below the High Plains is served by two principal highways, US 62/70 (east to west) and US 62/83 (north to south) and is located halfway between Lubbock and Wichita Falls. The County is rugged in the west and level in the east. It is drained by the Pease, Tongue and Little Wichita rivers. The primary income (abt 33 million) for the county is from cotton, grain, cattle and alfalfa. A modest amount of oil is produced in the county, 137,489 barrels for 1990.

The towns of the county were Otta, Dumont just South of the Cottle/King county line, Delwin, Chalk, Sneedville, Narcisso, Paducah, Ogden, Swearingen, Dunlap, Cee Vee, Coleyville, Finley, Valley View, Hackberry and some I am sure I've missed.

In the early days of Cottle County ranching was the main industry. Cottle and neighboring counties, King to the South, Motley to the West, Childress to the North, Hardeman and Foard to the East soon became the center for huge ranches. The 6666, Moon, Pitchfork, Matador, JY, 7L, Ross, Mill Iron, Hat, Ox, SMS and 3D. The men and women who left their mark in these five counties, Samuel Burk Burnett, 6666; Anne Burnett Tandy, 6666;Anne V.(Little Anne) Windfohr Sowell and Windi Phillips, 6666; Thomas Llyod Burnett, 7L; W.Q. Richards, Moon; Robert Benjamin Masterson, JY; Alford M. Britton and Henry H.(Hank) Campbell, Matador; J.J. McAdams, Hat (the present day Triangles); Forsythe brothers, D.D. Swearingen, G.S.White and C.R.Smith of the OX; and all those working cowboys who made the big ranches what they were then and are today. Most of these large ranches are still in operation today.

The big ranches began fencing their spreads and farmers setteled on the lands. Cotton soon became the crop of the county. At first cotton was hauled to Quanah, about 50 miles away which was the nearest gin. Gins sprang up in most of the communities of the county. I think Paducah had seven or eight at one time. In 1900 cotton was planted on 749 acres of Cottle County and by 1930 cotton cultivation had expanded to 133,467 acres. The economy was aided by the Quanah, Acme and Pacific Railroad in 1909. Auto roads to Childress and Matador were completed by 1910. The first hard surface road was from Paducah to Dunlap that was built in 1913.

With the towns came schools, churches, law and order, butchers, hotel operators, merchants, blacksmiths and all others that settled the county. The population of the county grew from 24 in 1880, 240 in 1890 to 1,002 by 1900, 4396 in 1910 and 6901 by 1920 and a county high of 9395 in 1930. During the "DustBowl" and "Great Depression" of the 1930's the population trend reversed. The 1930's started an exodus of farmers from the county and by 1940 the population dropped until only 7,072 remained. The population continued to drop in the coming decades 6099 in 1950; 4207 in 1960; 3204 in 1970; 2974 in 1980; 2247 in 1990; and 1927 in 2000. In the 1940's the schools began to consolidate into the Paducah Independent School District. Most of the community school buildings are gone. The Alamo Elementery School fell recently. All that is left is the rock fence that encircled the playground and building. The land is now the Alamo Park donated to the City of Paducah by the Paducah Indenpendent School District.

Automation soon changed the way farming and ranching was done. As the changes began to take hold the younger population began leaving the county for the larger cities. Farmers increased the size of their farms and reduced the workforce.


Address for local records:

Cottle County Courthouse
Post Office Box 717
Paducah, TX 79248-0717


Cottle County Look-Up Volunteers
These volunteers have materials they will do look-ups in.
Please consider volunteering if you have any Cottle County material.


Cottle County, TXGenWeb Resources


Cottle//King Counties Veterans

Automobiles Registered in Cottle County, 1935

Cottle County Cemeteries

Cottle County 1910 Census Index, page 1

Cottle County 1910 Census Index, page 2

Cottle County 1910 Census Index, page 3

Marriage, index, Ga 1892-1966

Cottle County 1900 Census

Cottle County Memories

King County Census 1880

Motley County Census 1880

Cottle County Census 1880

Cottle County WWll Military News 1943-1944

Texas Map 1917

Search Texas Death Records, 1964 to Present

Texas Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics

Panhandle Links

View Cottle County Obituaries

OUR NEIGHBORING COUNTIES

King County     Hardeman    Foard County   
Motley County    Childress County  


OLD PADUCAH PICTURES

Memory Book 1941    Page 1    Page 2    Page 3    Page 4    Page5    Page 6    Page 7    Page 8    page 9    Page 10    Page 11    Page 12   
Page 13    Pep Squad 1941    Dragons 1941 Bi-District Champs 1941    Coaches 1941    Basketball Team 1941    Play Staff 1941   
Cottle County Courthouse    County School Board    County Superintend's Message   
1953 Roundup    Cee Vee School    Teachers   
First Grade    Second Grade    Third Grade-1    Third Grade-2    Fourth Grade    Fifth Grade   
Sixth Grade-1    Sixth Grade-2    Sixth Grade-3    Seventh Grade    Eighth Grade   
PTA    Basketball-1    Basketball-2    Basketball-3   
School Scenes-1    School Scenes-2    School Scenes-3    Primary Room   
Mrs. Cagle's Room    Library    Sixth and First Grades   
Delwin School    Delwin Faculty and Staff    Delwin Board of Trustees   
School Scenes-1    First Grade-1    First Grade-2    Second Grade    Third Grade   
Fourth Grade    Fifth Grade    Sixth Grade    Seventh Grade   
Eighth Grade    Room Mothers    Math    Friends    School Scenes-1   
School Scenes-2    School Scenes-3    School Scenes-4    School Scenes-5    School Scenes-6   
School Scenes-7    School Scenes-8    School Scenes-9    School Scenes-10    School Scenes-11   
School Scenes-12    School Scenes-13    School Scenes-15   
Paducah High School 1920's   
Paducah Volunteer Fire Department   
Valley View School    Faculty and Staff    First Grade   
Second Grade    Third Grade    Fourth Grade    Fifth Grade   
Sixth Grade    Seventh Grade    Eighth Grade    School Scenes   
Class of 1958    Delwin School 1918    1930's    1953-1    1953-2   
1953-3    1953-4    1953-5    1953-6    1953-7    1953-8    1953-9    WOW 1900   
W.S. Daniels Dry Goods    QA&P Railway    PHS Band 1947   
1947 Parade    1947 Parade    1947 Parade    1947 Parade    1947 Parade    1947 Parade   
1947 Parade    1947 Parade    1947 Parade   
Paducah KOFP Lodge   




USGenWeb Project Home Page


Index to Texas Counties, A to Z

TXGenWeb Home Page

You're our 54803  visitor who hath walked through the Sand Hills of Cottle County since November 2006

Updated June 2, 2014