Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


 
  • Crockett County Jail, Ave. D east of Courthouse

    • Built 1892, about a year after county's organization; contractor was Z. D. Gafford of San Angelo. Building stone was quarried to north of structure, on Meyers property. Tower may have been designed for hangings, but no gallows were ever installed. Though never filled to capacity, inmates have included the 1954 robbers of Ozona National Bank. In sheriff's quarters, Ozona children about 1915 took piano lessons from sheriff's wife. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.

 

 

 

Back to Markers

Back to Main Page

TXGenWeb Project

We Love RootsWeb