Home Page |Cemetery List | Table of Contents | E-Mail
The TXGenWeb Project
Crosby County
TXGenWeb Project

Crosby County Biography

In Remembrance of

Cap and Dora Ellison

Dora and Cap Ellison

Rose Spray



Family History

Others Researching This Family

Burial Site

Headstone Photograph, Inscription & Sentiments

tombstone photo

Additional Photos & Documentation

Ellison Clan Gathers Here For Reunion

Relatives and friends of late Uncle Ben, Uncle Berry and Uncle Abe Ellison, gathered in Pioneer Memorial Building Sunday, May 12, for a family reunion.

Visiting here for the first time in many years were Mr. and Mrs. John Taylor, Corvallis, Ore. and Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Taylor, Aransas Pass. The Mmes. Taylor are sisters of Mack Ellison, Crosbyton and the Messrs. Taylor are brothers of Mrs. Cap Ellison, Portales, New Mexico.

A covered dish luncheon highlighted the all day affair. Coffee, tea and cokes were served throughout the day. The 87 guests who registered spent the day visiting and touring the museum.

Out of town guests were: Mr. and Mrs. John Taylor, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Dean, Jr., Corvallis, Ore.' Mr. and Mrs. Charles Dean, Sr., Dallas; Nettie Black, Fairoak, Calif.; Michael Lawson, Clovis, New Mex.; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Taylor, Aransas Pass; Mr. and Mrs. Roy Hogged, Big Spring; Mrs. Therman Gray, Hereford; Mr. and Mrs. Cap Ellison, Mr. and Mrs. Wilbert Ellison, Mr. and Mrs. Jimmy Ellison and son, Mr. and Mrs. John Allen Dunn, Mrs. Mary Lee, all of Portales, New Mex.; Mr. and Mrs. George Witt and children, Spur; Mr. and Mrs. V. V. Scott and baby, McAdoo; Mr. and Mrs. Don Cummings, Cone.

Also Mr. and Mrs. George Eubank, Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Leskie, Mr. and Mrs. Troy (Skinny) Edwards, Mr. and Mrs. Loyd Folson and children, Mr. and Mrs. Dan Ellison and children, Mr. and Mrs. John McDermett, Jr. and children, Ed Ellison, Mr. and Mrs. George A. Young and children, Mr. and Mrs. H. S. Armstrong and children, all of Lubbock.

The Crosbyton Review, Thursday, May 23, 1963


Dora Ellison Mrs. Dora Lee Ellison, 53, of 5507 16th Place died about 6 p.m. Thursday at her home after a lengthy illness. Services are pending with Rix Funeral Directors.

Mrs. Ellison has been a Lubbock resident six years, moving here from Crosbyton where she had resided for 45 years.

Her husband Earnest, was a farmer, and in Lubbock she had been employed in Perrins Drapery Shop and by Great Western Mobile Homes.

She was a member of Green Lawn Church of Christ.

She married in 1938 at Crosbyton.

Survivors include her husband; three sons, Clyde of Crosbyton, Zane of Muleshoe and Randal of Abilene; her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Layton Sr. of Enoch; three brothers, J.W. Layton Jr. of Seattle, Wash., and J. E. and Harold both of Enoch, a sister, Mrs. Pearl Mize of Crosbyton; and four grandchildren.

©Lubbock Avalanche Journal, April 6, 1973
Record provided by Crosby County Pioneer Memorial Museum
transcribed by Linda Fox Hughes

Cap Ellison Funeral services for Crosby County pioneer Lee Roy "Cap" Ellison, 92, were held at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday in the First Baptist Church in Crosbyton. He died Sunday in the local hospital after a lengthy illness.

Officiating was the Rev. Alfred Richards, pastor of Calvary Baptist Church of Portales, N.M., assisted by the Rev. Ernest Stewart of Crosbyton. Burial was in Crosbyton cemetery under direction of King Funeral Home.

Born Jan. 13, 1880, in Tennessee, Ellison came with his family to Seymour in 1897. He married Dora Taylor in 1902 and moved to Crosbyton in 1909 in a covered wagon, taking three days to make the trip.

He bought a section of land and built a house which was destroyed by fire soon after the family moved in. Another house was soon built. Ellison raised wheat and stocked the farm with horses and mules. For many years he shipped horses and mules to Ft. Worth each week.

During World War I and II he bought Calvary stock and worked for 20 years with a veterinarian in serving the West Texas area.

He and his wife were the first members of the First Baptist Church of Crosbyton when it was organized and he was the first deacon ordained the church.

In 1937, he and his wife moved to New Mexico where he farmed and ranched 32 years. Mrs. Ellison died in 1966.

In 1967 Ellison married Mary M. Lee of Clovis, N.M. They moved to Crosbyton in 1969.

He is survived by his wife, Mary; two daughters, Mrs. John Allen Dunn of Hereford and Mrs. Roy Hoggard of Big Spring; two sons, Wilbert of Muleshoe and Eldred of Andrews; two stepdaughters, Mrs. Lee Trapp of Clovis and Mrs. Mutt Melugin of Crosbyton; one step-son, Cecil Lawson of Clovis; six grandchildren; 17 great grandchildren; one brother, Lige Ellison of Crosbyton; and four sisters, Mrs. Viola Gray of Hereford, Mrs. John McDermett of Midland, Mrs. Moda Reed and Mrs. John Harvey of Crosbyton.

Pallbearers were Woodrow Robertson, Arron Justus, Tillman Reeves, Jimmy Karr, Griffin Odom, Dutch Hines, Jack Mayes and Fritz Ausmus.

©Crosbyton Review, June 22, 1972
Record provided by Crosby County Pioneer Memorial Museum
transcribed by Linda Fox Hughes

Home Page | Cemetery List | Table of Contents | Helping with this Project

Crosby County TXGenWeb Project
Webmaster: Linda Fox Hughes

©Crosby County Historical Commission 1997-2017

This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without my consent.
The information on these pages is meant for personal genealogical research only and is not for commercial use of ANY type.