Theresa May Coons Carter Born May 6, 1869 Death: August 20, 1903 in Emma Father: William COONS Mother: Luzetta HON Buried in the Carter Plot, Emma Cemetery Crosby County Texas Married James William Carter August 7, 1884 in Kentucky James William Carter MD Born Oct. 27, 1857 in Kentucky Died August 20, 1925 Buried in the Carter Plot, Emma Cemetery Crosby County Texas Father: Dr. Francis Marion CARTER Mother: Martha Ann GOOCH Dr. Carter and his wife, Theresa May Coons Carter, moved to Estacada, Texas from the state of Kentucky, in 1889. They moved to Emma, Crosby County Texas, where he was the only Doctor for miles around. He went to see his patients by way of buggy and two horses and would be gone for days at a time.
Information courtesy of: Elmer J. Reed Jr.One of the first and most beloved doctors of Crosby County, J.W. Carter, M.D. came to Crosby County in the very early nineties and remained as one of her citizens until his death in the early years of the twentieth century.
Dr. Carter was never one to refuse to answer the call when his presence was required in rain, or snow or storm.
Dr. Carter came fresh from Louisville, Kentucky, University Medical School, bringing with him his wife and son Stanley. Two sons, Russel and Clayton, were born to them on their little ranch in Crosby County. Olga, the youngest of the four children, was born in Emma where the Carter family moved from their place some five miles north of the town. It became necessary for the Carter children to enter school. The Carters reluctantly gave up their home in the country and moved into town.
Olga developed into one of the county´s most beautiful daughters, and made the county her home until her marriage.
The wife and mother, Mrs. Julia[sic] May Coons Carter, numbered her friends by her acquaintances, a very lovable person who never tired of doing good.
Dr. Carter was not only connected with the history of Crosby County in a medical capacity but politically as well. He served for four years as her County Judge. Financially he was a stockholder and director in the Emma State Bank organized in 1905. He also owned land in Crosby and adjoining counties.
Never downhearted, he could always see the sunny side of life. Not keeping his pleasures to himself alone, he liked to scatter his joys along the way. He was a fastidious dresser and his derby hat was a familiar sight among the big hats of the western men. If he ever had sad moments, the doctor was the one and only one who knew of them.
Source: Through the Years, A History of Crosby County, Texas by Nellie Witt Spikes and Temple Ann Ellis
A message was received here last Friday addressed to the Masonic Order stating that Dr. J.W. Carter, 69 years old, was found in a dying coindition [sic] having fallen from a fast moving train, by the railroad track some ten miles south of Bay City at about 4:30 o'clock Friday evening. He was identified by the parties who found him from a Masonic card with his name and address on it. Mayor Clayton Carter and Stanley Carter, his two sons, left immediately after having received the message from Bay City.
Dr. Carter left Crosbyton the first of last week with the intention of going to Old Mexico to look after his oil interests there, and it seemed to have been on his return home when the accident occurred. According to information gathered by Clayton and Stanley Carter, two sons, who went down there on receipt of the message, it was about nine hours after the accident occurred when the doctor was found by some railroad workmen in a dying condition. He died on the road to the hospital.
The remains were shipped to Lubbock where a large delegation of Crosbyton friends met the corpse and accompanied it to the home of his son, Mayor Clayton Carter, where funeral services was conducted the following afternoon at 2:30 o'clock by Rev. J. H. Richards. Interment was made at the Old Emma cemetery by the side of his wife who preceded him some 23 years ago. Ceremony at the cemetery was conducted by the Masonic Order, of which Dr. Carter was a member.
Dr. Carter was a pioneer settler of Crosby County, having settled at Estacado about 35 years ago. Estacado was at that time the county site of Crosby County, and when the court house was moved to Old Emma about 1892, Dr. Carter moved to Emma and engaged in the practice of medicine. He also owned a drug store there. It was during this year that Dr. Carter was elected County Commissioner and served four years. Following the expiration of his term he was elected County Judge in which capacity he served the county for four years. During this time he had been quite active in real estate and oil and had accumulated considerable property.
When Dr. Carter settled here in the early days, the county was sparsely settled and in the practice of his profession he had to travel many miles in every direction in answering the calls of the sick. It was during this time that the big heartedness of Dr. Carter was revealed and his many acts of mercy has endeared him to a host of pioneer settlers of the South Plains, as was evidenced by the large crowd from over the country that assembled to pay their last respects to the departed one.
Perhaps one of the largest funeral procession over assembled at Crobyton followed the remains to its last resting place. Sixty-three cars left Crosbyton and many more joined as the procession passed through Ralls. The floral offering was profuse which gave evidence of the esteem in which he was held.
The following were the poll [sic] bearers active and honorary:
Bill Ezell, B.W. Mitchell, W.T. Dunn, Frank Littlefield, Neil Wright, Lubbock; Pink Parrish, Lubbock; W.P. Fullingim, Lorenzo; arion Reed.
John Nobel, Cone; John K. Fullingim, E. English, C.E. Raoy, W.N. Bicknell, N.Y. Bicknell, T.C. Mathis, Hub Smith, Lubbock, W.W. Cooper, Edgar Allen, W.M. Robertson, Lorenzo; Joe Parks, Chesley Smith, R.L. Travis, Ralls; R.R. Travis, Ralls; Ed McLaughlin, Ralls; Rube Bowman, Lorenzo; H.C. Pierson, Lorenzo; Foster Peirson, Lorenzo; R. Shelton, Bill Punchard.
Dr. Carter leaves four children, Stanley, Clayton, Russell Carter and Mrs. Olga Spencer, all living at Crosbyton.
The Crosbyton Review, Friday, August 28, 1925
This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without my consent.
The information on these pages is meant for personal genealogical research only and is not for commercial use of ANY type.