Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Genealogy

 

Community Links

 

History

Timeline

1854 - John M. Stephen settled in the area - donates land for town

1856 - George Bernard Erath, laid out the town when county was organized

1857 - Town got approved for post office - John Stephens, postmaster

1858 - population reached 766 people, but Indian attacks and the Civil War reduce it to 300 by 1871

1870 - First newspaper, The Texas Pacific, was printed for Erath county

1889 - Ft. Worth and Rio Grande Railroad arrived in the 1890s, the second newspaper appeard, and John Tarleton Agricultural College opened

1892 - Erath County courthouse was built. It was designed by J. Riely Gordon It was restored in 1988 and further restoration is taking place now.

Calendars and Reunions

Hook Family Reunion, October 2004

Families

COUNTS Family
FICKE Family
John HUEY Genealogy
Racheal Ellen KEEN
David Ross MABERRY
MCCLELLAN Family
RATHBURN Family
Percy Brady WALLACE
YATES Family

Other Links of Interest

Butterfly Ranch
Chris Jones Photographs
Cross Timbers Fine Arts Council
Damselflies of Texas
Moo-La, the Cow
Stephenville Research and Extension Center - Texas A&M

Churches

Faithfest Faith Lutheran Church
St. Luke's Episcopal


Stephenville Central Ward School, 1st Grade, 1939-1940, Rose Ficke, teacher

Front row, l-r, Orene White, Melba Lay, Bertha Griswald, Irene Watson, Kate Shannon, Mary Louise Mayfield, Mary Paul Keith, Ruby George, Patsy Lidia, Mary Mae Canady, Katherine Jones
Middle Row, l-r, Van Del Stewart, Jimmy Linehan, Lawrence Lewis, Coaly Day, Dee Sumners, Geroge Owens, Glenn Graham, Truman Walker, James Weldon
Don Gray, Delphea McAlister, Billy Jo Leatherman, Peggy Rawlston, Marion Beding, Rose Ficke


Last modified - Saturday, 27 Aug 1020   

Host: Sue Ficke Seibert