The United Daughters of the Confederacy is the outgrowth of many local memorial, monument, and Confederate home associations and auxiliaries to camps of United Confederate Veterans that were organized after the War Between the States. It is the oldest patriotic organization in our country because of its connection with two statewide organizations that came into existence as early as 1890 -- the Daughters of the Confederacy (DOC) in Missouri and the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Confederate Soldiers Home in Tennessee.
The National Association of the Daughters of the Confederacy was organized
in Nashville, Tenn.,
on September 10, 1894, by founders Mrs. Caroline Meriwether Goodlett
of Nashville and Mrs. Anna Davenport Raines
At its second meeting in Atlanta,
Ga., in 1895, the Organization
changed its name to the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The United
Daughters of the Confederacy was incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia on
July 18, 1919.
Membership is open to women no less than 16 years of age who are blood descendants, lineal or collateral, of men and women who served honorably in the Army, Navy or Civil Service of the Confederate States of America, or gave Material Aid to the Cause.
The objectives of the organization are Historical, Educational, Benevolent, Memorial and Patriotic:
The insignia of the United Daughters of the Confederacy is the First National Flag (Stars and Bars) of the Confederacy surrounded by a laurel wreath bearing the letters "UDC" under the flag; the whole is tied with a ribbon on which are inscribed the dates "1861-1865."
The name United Daughters of the Confederacy and the insignia are registered trademarks.