How to Help With This Project
The TXGenWeb Project is still growing, and there are always opportunities for new volunteers to adopt county pages or participate in a Special Project.
We welcome your interest and hope you find the efforts of our volunteers useful in your genealogy research.
PROOFREADERS NEEDED!Feedback- Our goal is to continually update and improve the information we provide here, and we welcome your comments and/or suggestions about this site. To provide feedback, please contact Dickens County Coordinator.
This project is maintained entirely by volunteers and depends on the support of RootsWeb and people like you that want to see Genealogy research take a step forward. We can use the technology of today, and make the Internet work for Genealogy!
Types of information wanted include:Cemeteries: Transcriptions, Tombstone Photos, Historical Markers
Vital Records: Births, Deaths, Marriages, Divorces
Census Records: Federal & State, Free, Slave, Mortality, Agriculture
Court Records: County, Federal, Civil, Probate, Deeds, Guardianship
Newspaper Articles: Obits, Marriage, Local Histories, Events & Birth Announce.
Military Records: Muster Rolls, Service Records, Pension, Rosters
Family Histories: Biographies, Obits, Family Photos (No Gedcoms)
Church Records: Membership Lists, Baptisms, Other
Land Records: Land Transfers, Grants, Surveyor's Records, Deeds
Occupational: Mining, Accidents & Railroad Reports, Newsletters
Prison Records - Tax Records: Property, State, Federal, Local
Local Directories: Phone, old county and city
Educational: School histories, newsletters, county school census, yearbooks
If you have something you would like to contribute to the project, please read the guidelines below.e-mail Linda Hughes with the attachment or send e-mail asking for my Postal address..
Guidelines for File Submissions
Submit files through e-mail by attaching file.
1. Ascii text (.txt) files are preferred, but not mandatory. Non-text will be converted to text before storing. If you have created a .doc, .wri, .xls, .dbf, etc. file, please save it "as text" in your software program, and assign a ".txt" extension to the filename. Hard "tabs" are not encouraged, as they do not translate the same on all browsers. Please use "5 hard spaces" in place of tabs. Large files may be split. We may, at our discretion, store the same data in several formats. Scanned documents will be considered, depending on their content.
2 All data is free to the public, and the USGenWeb Project will not pay royalties on any submissions.
3. Data is provided for downloading "as is" -- no guarantees of anything
4. File contributors must use their own discretion regarding the inclusion of data on living people. I try not use anything that may violate privacy prior to 1938. If you submit your own personal data, then I feel I have your permission to use it. Remember this is genealogy of the past, and try to protect the future of those still living.
5. We will not accept gedcoms due to space considerations, and my limited knowledge on them. :o)
6. Do not send copyrighted material, unless it is your own, and you include a statement of permission to use in the document.
Note: Public domain records ARE NOT and cannot be copyrighted.
7. We are now able to store scanned images of primary source documents, but must be cautious about the size and quality, as well as the genealogical value of those documents. All graphics can be attached as a file in the e-mail address provided to Linda
8. We cannot guarantee permanency, in the event data is lost.
9. Any obviously false, malicious, libelous, or copyrighted data will be erased. We do not guarantee the validity of any files. Always check the original document.
10. These guidelines are subject to change as the website progresses and the need for new guidelines are needed.
11. Once submitted, the data cannot be retracted by submitter. (This rule causes concern to many potential submitters. The reason for this rule is that the volunteer file managers spend many hours preparing the files in the proper format for viewing by all types of computers. We have to discourage submissions - retractions - submissions - retractions because of the volume of data that is submitted. The USGenWeb/TXGenWeb records are accessible FREE and will remain FREE, to researchers. The files within will not be used for any commercial purposes by the USGenWeb Project. (This guideline WILL NOT CHANGE) Files in the USGenWeb Archives may not be copied for selling in any format.
12. We retain the right to refuse any submission.
In June 1996, as the KyGenWeb Project was nearing 100% county coverage, interested volunteers decided to create a similar set of pages for all states, establishing The USGenWeb Project. Volunteers were found who were willing to coordinate the efforts for each state, and additional volunteers were sought to create and maintain websites for every county in the United States.
If you would like to sponsor a county in Texas, whether you are a resident or not, please contact our State Coordinator Shirley Cullum.
This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without consent.
The information on these pages is meant for personal genealogical research only
and is not for commercial use of ANY type.