Desdemona was settled by C. C. Blair in 1860, and in 1875, land was pre-empted by Benjamin and William Funderburg. By 1900 the population was 340 people with five stores. The most prominent business was operated by Capt. A. J. O'Rear.
Desdemona rode to fame under the name of "Hogtown" in the years between 1917 to 1922. It stands today a peaceful little village on the banks of Hog Creek near the eastern line of the county.
When old King Oil brought in 30,000 people, Desdemona had three banks, seven filling stations, ten grocery stores, two general merchandise stores, a post office, three barber shops, two blacksmith shops, three saloons, two medical doctors, one of them being Dr. Snodgrass, one drug store, 1,000 oil derricks within the city limits.
On January 6, 1921, the Lone Star Hotel and Cafe was burned with total damage of $20,000 and two lives, two women from a vaudeville -- a mother and her daughter. The hotel was situated next to the Wiley Theatre and was one of the largest in town. The fire started in the cafe.
Back to the Main Page