Source: History of Eastland County, Texas
Dallas, Tex.: A.D. Aldridge & Co., 1904, pages 176-179
Contributed by Teri texasoldphotos.com
A thriving little city of twelve hundred population is situated on the Texas Central Railroad, twenty-five miles southeast of Cisco. The town was surveyed in 1891 by the railroad people and began its existence in the virgin forest-the Oliver Chill Plow having forced the stockmen westward. The era, thus inaugurated by the arrival of the railroad, made of this section a very attractive portion of the State by the development of the superior advantages of this immediate locality.
Fruits and vegetables, together with a thoroughly diversified agricultural product, offered strong inducements to the emigrant from the East, and year by year the town has grown, developing rare commercial possibilities, and has attained a prosperous and established position.
It is the proud boast of this people that they are surrounded by the most productive soil that can be found west of the Brazos river, and with a thoroughly up to date lot of business men the little city is gradually but surely forging its way to the front.
All lines of business are well represented-from the bank and the big department stores down to the chili joint, and employ a capital of $500,000. Kimble & Crume, druggists; J. R. Huckabee, general merchandise; Low & Troxell, general merchandise; Mr. Winters' gin, the largest and best in West Texas; Mrs. Yates' hotel. The May Drug Company T. L. Gates Lumber Yard, the weekly newspaper, a canning factory in active and successful operation, are some of the stores and shops and business interests of the town. These numerous interests enable Gorman to handle her own immense agricultural products to the very best advantage.
The town is incorporated for municipal and school purposes. The splendid churches, together with organized lodges, chartered clubs and business men's organizations, foster and keep in close touch the religious and social life with the commercial advancements.
Everything considered, the town stands without a rival in many respects in this section of the State, and offers special inducements to the home seeker.
F. B. WINTERS.
The accompanying illustration represents
the gin plant built by Mr. Winters in 1899. From the standpoint
of modern machinery and up-to-date equipment it has no superior
in the State.
One hundred and fifty horse power boiler and engines are used, and it has a capacity of one hundred and twenty bales daily. MT. Winters uses the Munger system. The gin is lighed [lighted] by electricity and runs day and night.
THE BANK OF GORMAN.
This bank was established in 1900, with W. H. Eddleman, president; W. A. Waldrop, cashier; R. R. Waldrop, assistant cashier.
The responsibility is $500,000.00.
Large and small accounts are desired, and Mr. Waldrop and his assistant will make it both pleasant and profitable to all those who do business with them.
T. L. GATES, LUMBER.
This lumber yard was established in Gorman in the summer of 1899 and has steadily grown in popularity, both from the completeness and grade of stock carried and from the courteous treatment accorded to all customers. It is now one of the strong financial interests of the promising town.
The founder and sole owner of this business, T. L. Gates, is a significant factor in the community. He came to Texas from Mississippi in 1893, and was for five years Superintendent of the De Leon Schools, and then served as cashier of the bank at that place for two years. He is at present chairman of the County Democratic Committee. Mr. Gates is a member of the Methodist church and superintendent of the Sunday School. He is known in church circles as an enthusiastic Sunday School worker and a most efficient layman.
Return to Eastland TXGenWeb Page