Eleven miles southwest of Cisco on FM Road 569, is the present day community of Nimrod, which was first settled in 1876, only one year after Eastland County itself was created.
Two families which came to make their homes in the Nimrod community were the late W. M. Munn and the Ira Townsend families.
The first school at Nimrod was Wagley of Gunsight in Stephens County, TX. It was held in the back room of the W. M. Munn residence, on a six-weeks subcription basis. The Munn residence was a log house. When Mr. Munn built another log house on his land to use as a rent house, it was decided to use that as a building for the school. It had a stick and mud fireplace.
Some of the early families who sent their children to the Nimrod school were Munn, Townsend, Notgrass, Lear, Dr. Teague, Plummer and Payne.
Back to Main Page