Romney is located ten miles south of Cisco and about 36 miles north of Brownwood.
Mr. Cecil Carter, owner of the general store, maintains that the town was established in 1880 and that the first settler was Dr. J. W. White, one of the first physicians in the county. The doctor named the community after his old home town of Romney, in West Virginia. In 1903, Romney had four grocery stores and a blacksmith shop. A drug store opened in 1910 was owned by Bill Hall. J. C. Maples owned the lone blacksmith shop and feed store. The first doctor who really located at Romney before it was named was Dr. Montgomery, who came in 1898. Some of the people formerly living in Romney were J. B. Webb, John Freeland, L. C. Gipson, W. A. White, J. C. Maples, Martin Luker, M. A. Mossman, T. L. Freeman, Harrison Maynard, M. C. Miller, Mr. Foreman, Mr. Eppler, C. A. Carmichael, George Hunt, Mr. Brogdon, Mr. Hulsey, T. B. Boles, John Bearhardt, Don Grides and Mr. Brown. Also Tom Ghormley, Allison Rich and Mr. Parkinson lived in the town. They were old-time trail drivers.
The post office was established August 15, 1890 with T. D. Freeman as postmaster. Romney at that time also had a blacksmith shop, a gin and a good school, with three churches: the Baptist, Disciples of Christ and the Methodist.
Back to Main Page