Ellis County Cemeteries

Home

Ellis County History  Ellis County Courthouse Communities  Photo Index 


CEMETERIES in ELLIS COUNTY

As of October 14, 1999.

Information provided by the Ellis County Genealogical Society

(Cemeteries are listed, their locations, directions to cemetery, limited history and the Ellis County Genealogy Society (referred to as ECGS) volume in which these are listed.

 

A note from the

Ellis County Genealogical Society

 

Cemeteries alphabetized by name

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U W


 

ALMA

Located off I-45 at Alma; take first road FM1183, .5 miles to Alma Cemetery Sign, then .5 miles to gate on left. There is a dirt road to cemetery. This cemetery is in use, but not maintained on a regular basis. It is fenced. The oldest burial recorded in this cemetery is 1881.

(ECGS - Volume 1)

 

ALSDORF (African American)

Located off Hwy 34, 5.2 miles E. of Ennis to Alsdorf Road, 1.2 mi to sharp L-turn. Cemetery is in the field directly ahead, just beyond the metal gate. This cemetery is on private property and permission should be obtained to enter. There is no cemetery association, and is not maintained on a regular basis.

(As of this date there is no inventory of this cemetery.)

 

ASTONIA (African American)

Located 2 mi SE of crossroad in Avalon on FM 55, Left on Tee's Road 1.5 miles, right .2 miles to Astonia Road, then left 3/4 miles. Cemetery is on the right, it is fenced but not maintained on a regular basis. This cemetery is on private property and permission should be obtained to enter. There is no sign, but cemetery can be seen from the road. The oldest burial date is 1872.

(No inventory at this time.)

 

ANDREWS

Located on FM 813 from Waxahachie; S. of Rockett on Loma Linda Road. Turn right on Loma Linda Rd. just past the Rockett Café; .5 miles on Loma Linda Rd., to Gentle Ridge; .1 mile on Gentle Ridge to Cemetery. The cemetery is located just off the road on the left, next to a private residence. Permission should be obtained before entering. This cemetery is no longer in use, and is privately maintained. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1863.

(ECGS Volume 1)

 

AUBURN

Located on FM 66, W. of Maypearl to fork in the road, right on FM 917 toward Grandview; 4 miles, turn right on Auburn Road; then right at Cemetery sign. This cemetery is in use and is maintained. There is a historical marker stating the history of this cemetery. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1878.

(ECGS Volume 1)

 

BAKER FARM CEMETERY

Located 2 miles West of Ovilla, Texas. This cemetery is no longer in use and is not maintained. This cemetery is on private property, and permission must be obtained to enter. A construction project in progress. (Many stones were removed to the Old Shiloh Cemetery, also located in Ovilla). The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1859.

(ECGS Volume 4)

 

Bardwell Cemetery (ELM BRANCH)

Located off Hwy. 34 at Bardwell, turn left at Waxahachie Ave., 1-1/2 miles SE of Bardwell on FM 985. There is a cemetery directional sign at the cemetery drive. This cemetery is maintained on a regular basis and is in use.

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

BECK WILSON CEMETERY

Located just off Dallas St. in Italy, Texas. This cemetery is very small, has been inventoried but is not at this time in any ECGS Volume. It will most likely be in the next printing of ECGS Volume I.

 

BEE CREEK CEMETERY

Located FM 66 4 miles S. of Maypearl to Bee Creek, S on Bee Creek to Witten Rd., right 1/4 mile to cemetery. This cemetery is sometimes called the "old Cornwell Cemetery". It is not maintained and is no longer in use. Cemetery is on private property and permission should be obtained to enter. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1879.

(ECGS Volume 3)

 

BELLS CHAPEL CEMETERY

Located NW of Rockett, left on Bells Chapel Road 1.7 miles. Cemetery is on the left, it is maintained and has a cemetery association. This cemetery is in use. There is a historical marker which states the history of the community of Bells Chapel and the cemetery. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1851.

(ECGS Volume 3)

 

BETHEL CEMETERY

Located SW of Waxahachie on FM 876, Right at Five Points on Bethel Anderson Rd., North 1.5 miles to Cemetery. It is on the right, and is in used and maintained on a regular basis. This cemetery has a historical marker that states the history of the cemetery and the community of Bethel.

(ECGS Volume 11)

 

BLANTON CEMETERY (Blanton-Hooser)

Located South of Italy, Texas near the county line, in a field. Take FM 667 SE of Italy 5.2 miles to end of road. Then go left 1 mile on Hamrock Rd. The Cemetery is located on the left side of the road just before you reach the bridge across the creek and directly across from the headquarters of the Hooser barns and headquarters. Gate is locked and permission must be obtained to enter. Many stones were not found at the time of this reading. This is a neglected cemetery. Cemetery is no longer in use, and is not maintained, and is not easily accessible.

(At this time this is not included in an ECGS Volume.)

 

Return to top

 

BLUFF SPRINGS CEMETERY

Located on FM 983 from Ferris, 2.8 miles to Bluff Springs Road, turn right on Bluff Springs Road, go 1/2 mile; cemetery is just off the road to the left, just north of the old iron bridge at Bear Creek. This cemetery is NOT easily accessible; and is not maintained. This cemetery would be considered a neglected cemetery. It is fenced and is on private property. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1878.

(ECGS Volume 4)

NOTE: This cemetery has been badly vandalized in recent years; many stones are overturned, damaged or lost under the soil or washed into the creek. Sadly, many markers of early settlers have been lost forever.

 

BOREN-REAGOR SPRINGS

From Waxahachie , take 287 East. Located off US 287 at Reagor Springs, Texas 2.5 miles on right. This cemetery is on private property, and is not easily accessible as there is no road up to the cemetery. This location has been cleared and cleaned and is being restored by family members, friends, and members of the O. M. Roberts SCV camp and Daffan Latimer #37 Chapter, Ennis, Texas.. There is a newly formed Cemetery association and it is raising funds to care for this cemetery in the future. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1806. Cemetery is on private property and permission should be obtained to enter.

(ECGS Volume 4)

 

BRANDON

Located in the SW corner of Ellis County, near the community of Brandon. Located Hwy 308 from Milford to Mertens; left on FM 1243 for 1.1 miles to small cemetery on the left. Many stones are broken or missing altogether. It was originally a family cemetery. (No publication at this time, but will be in the next printing of ECGS Volume I) The oldest burial is 1856.

 

BRISTOL CEMETERY

Located in the community of Bristol. Exit I-45 on FM 879 for 5 miles to FM 813, right on 813 for 3 miles to Bristol. Turn on Union Hill road. The cemetery is located on Union Hill Road, adjacent to the Bristol Baptist Church, and is l block to the right of the Bristol School Building. Cemetery is on the immediate right. This cemetery is in perpetual care, and is maintained on a regular basis and is fenced. This cemetery has an association with funds to care for this cemetery. There is a historical marker which states the history of the cemetery and the community. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1876.

(ECGS Volume 1)

NOTE: The Bristol cemetery association also has possession of the school building which also has a historical marker which further states the history of Bristol. This building is used for fund raisers in the Community of Bristol with proceeds used for the preservation of this cemetery.

 

BRITTON CEMETERY

Located SW edge of Britton community, 5 miles SE of Mansfield, S on the street just east of the Methodist church on Noah Street. Cemetery is near the church. This cemetery is maintained. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1896.

(ECGS Volume 3)

 

BURNHAM CEMETERY

Located 3.1 miles South of Ennis, off Ensign Road west to Brazier Rd., turn right to dead end road. Immediately after turning left, there is a brick house on the right. This cemetery is on private property and permission should be obtained to enter. Gates are closed. This cemetery is not maintained and is no longer in use. There is a historical marker which states the history of the cemetery and the surrounding community. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1872.

(ECGS Volume 4)

Note: There is a historical marker, but it is not at this location.

 

CLAY CEMETERY

(Sign reads "CLAY-BELL").

Located I-45 to Italy; right on L. R. Campbell Rd. 2.6 miles. A sign at 1408 Campbell Rd. has arrow directing toward cemetery. This cemetery is no longer in use, is located on private property and permission should be obtained to enter, although the cemetery is accessible.

(ECGS Volume 1)

 

CLOPTON FARM CEMETERY

Located 3 miles from Rockett on FM 813. This cemetery is no longer in use, is located on private property and permission should be obtained to enter. This cemetery is not easily accessible. It is near the road but is obscured by trees. It is not maintained.

(ECGS Volume 1)

 

COLLIER FARM CEMETERY

Located 2 miles East of Italy, just off Hwy. 34. This cemetery is no longer in use, and is located on private property. Permission should be obtained to enter. There are privacy gates. This cemetery is not easily accessible. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1855.

(ECGS Vol. 3)

 

Return to top

 

COUCH CEMETERY

Located NW of Rockett on Belles Chapel Road 2.7 miles. This cemetery is on the left; it is on private property and permission must be obtained to enter. This cemetery is not easily accessible and is no longer in use. This cemetery is not maintained. This would be considered a neglected cemetery.

(ECGS Vol. 1)

NOTE: 4 Douglas family graves were removed early in 1998; and relocated in the Douglas Cemetery which is located on FM 983, also on private property.

 

CRISP CEMETERY (Also known as HINES CHAPEL)

Located from I-45, FM 879, 3 miles to Shankle Road; right on Shankle Road 3.7 miles to cemetery, located corner of Shankle & Crisp Road. This cemetery is fenced and is maintained on a regular basis. There is a cemetery association. This cemetery was recently updated. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1872. Cemetery gate is always locked except on holidays.

(ECGS Vol. 3)

 

DEAN CEMETERY

Located .4 miles East of Avalon on Hwy 34, on North side of road. This cemetery is located on private property and permission must be obtained to enter. This cemetery is no longer in use, is not maintained and is not accessible by car. There is a path of sorts, you must walk a short distance through a pasture to enter cemetery. There is a gate and it is locked. It has been recently restored by family members, but is not maintained on a regular basis.

(ECGS Vol. 2)

 

DOUGLAS CEMETERY

Located 5 miles N.E. of Rockett on FM 983. This cemetery is located on private property and permission must be obtained to enter. This cemetery is no longer in use, is not maintained on a regular basis, and is not easily accessible. (In spring 1998, 4 Douglas family members remains were removed from the Couch Cemetery, and re-interred in this family cemetery.) The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1850.

(ECGS Vol. 3)

 

ENNIS HEBREW CEMETERY

**This cemetery is now a part of the Myrtle Cemetery.

(ECGS Vol. 10)

 

FERGUSON FARM CEMETERY

Located at west end of Bardwell Dam, just south of Ennis. To reach the cemetery, take the bypass to Hwy 287 to Hwy 34. Go 3.6 miles south on Hwy 34 to FM 985. Turn left and the cemetery is 1.9 miles to left. At one time this was a neglected cemetery, the cemetery is fenced now and is well kept by the lake personnel. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1870.

(ECGS Volume 3)

 

FERRIS MEMORIAL PARK NORTH

Located west of Ferris on FM 664, turn right on Ewing Road, Ewing road runs into Ferris Rd., cemetery is just to the left. Entrance is on Ferris Road. This cemetery is maintained, is fenced and has a cemetery association. This cemetery is in perpetual care. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1886.

(ECGS Volume 7)

 

FERRIS MEMORIAL PARK SOUTH

Located west of Ferris on FM 983, on the right of the road. This cemetery is very old, but is maintained by the Ferris Cemetery Association. It is not fenced, and has been vandalized in recent years. Some of the oldest stones were destroyed. (The oldest grave in this cemetery is a child, the date is 1852.)

(ECGS Volume 1)

 

FORRESTON CEMETERY

Located off Hwy 77 at Forreston Exit; .1 miles to Church; turn right at church on Lumpkin Rd. 3; .3 miles on Lumpkin to Cemetery sign. Cemetery is on the .2 miles on the immediate right. This cemetery is in use and is maintained. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1858.

(ECGS Volume 3)

 

FORT FARM CEMETERY

Located Hwy 77 about .7 miles to Lumpkin Road SE of Forreston. Left on Lumpkin Rd. for 2.1 miles and on the right is a large barn some distance from the road. The cemetery was located in a grove of trees in front of the barn. This cemetery is no longer in use and is not maintained. It is on private property and permission should be obtained to enter. It is not easily accessible. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery was 1868. (No stones are left at this time. )

(ECGS Volume 3)

 

FRATERNAL CEMETERY (African American)

Located on E. Jefferson Street in Waxahachie, Texas. This cemetery has not been inventoried.

 

Return to top

 

GEASLIN CEMETERY

Located near Palmer, on the old D. A. Epps Farm. From Interstate 45, go west on FM 813, to McKeever Rd., turn east on Epps Road. Just past 705 Epps Road (former Geaslin Homestead); looking toward the north, there is a grove of trees. The cemetery is inaccessible from Epps Road. You must seek permission to go through the private property. You could enter the cemetery from Farrar Rd., but there also are several fences and private property. This cemetery is on private property and permission should be obtained to enter, and not easily accessible. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1883.

(ECGS Volume 3)

 

GLENWOOD CEMETERY

Located east of Forreston. Take Hwy 77 South of Waxahachie to Boyce Grain on Left side of d., at the Junction of Hwy 77 & Hwy 55, turn left on Hwy 55 to Nash Community. Then, turn right on Holder Road for 1 mile to Forreston Rd., turn right on Forreston Rd. about 1/4 mile. This cemetery is not maintained and is not easily accessible; and is on private property, permission should be obtained to enter. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1883.

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

GRADY CEMETERY (Hodge Cemetery)

Located from Ennis, turn left on Clay Street and go 1.2 miles to Hwy 34, and turn right on Hwy 34. From Hwy 34, go 5 miles to the intersection of Hwy 34 & FM 985 and turn left onto FM 985. Stay on Fm 985 for 4.1 miles to S. Anthony Road. Turn right on S. Anthony Road and continue on S. Anthony Road for 2.5 miles. The road curves then becomes Hodge Rd; over to the left on the fence is a sign that reads "GRADY CEMETERY." Cemetery on the immediate right. This cemetery is in use. It is fenced and it is very well maintained. It is privately maintained and many lots are maintained by the families. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1885.

(ECGS Volume 4)

 

GRAVES CEMETERY

Located near Rockett, turn left on Bells Chapel Road go 2/10 mile, cemetery is on the right. Cemetery is on private property, and permission should be obtained to enter. This cemetery is no longer in use and is privately maintained. The oldest burial date is 1859.

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

GREATHOUSE CEMETERY

Located 1.5 miles East of Maypearl, turn right on Greathouse Rd., 3-1/4 miles on Greathouse Road; cemetery is on the left. This cemetery is no longer in use, but it does have a cemetery association and is maintained. There is a historical marker which states the history of the cemetery and the surrounding community. The oldest grave recorded in this cemetery is 1881.

(ECGS Volume 3)

 

HAMROCK CEMETERY (Weir Family)

Located 5 miles SE of Italy, and very close to the area once known as the Slay Community. Take Hwy 667 South of Italy about 5.2 miles to Hoosier Rd. Turn right on Hoosier Rd. to end, and left on Hamrock Rd. about 1/2 mile to gravel road. This cemetery is no longer in use and is not maintained. Cemetery is on private property and permission should be obtained to enter; and is not accessible by car.

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

HARDEMAN FAMILY CEMETERY

Located from Waxahachie, take I-35 E to Forreston. Turn left under expressway to Hwy 77; right on Hwy 77 and continue 3.6 miles from Forreston; sign on the south to Kinfolks Rd., Right on Kinfolks Rd. 1/4 mile. It is located to the right in a small grove of trees near a private road. Gate is closed and permission should be obtained to enter. Cemetery is fenced but has not been maintained and is in poor condition. Most of the stones were found, others are most likely buried under dirt or overgrown ground cover. This cemetery contains graves of early Ellis County Settlers, but has been allowed to ruin. The oldest burial date is 1857, and is Mary Hardeman wife of John M. Hardeman who was a defender of Texas in its revolution. (The stone of John M. is broken.)

(ECGS Volume 4)

 

HEFLEY CEMETERY

Located on FM 660 NE of Bristol, 3/4 miles on Slate Rock Road, cemetery is on the right. This cemetery is fenced and is maintained. There is an identifying sign over the entrance gate. This is a very old cemetery. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1855.

(ECGS Volume 4)

 

HILLCREST BURIAL PARK CEMETERY

Located 1 mile West of Waxahachie, on US 287. Cemetery is on the left. This cemetery is maintained and has a cemetery association. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1904.

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

HIGH SPRINGS CEMETERY

Located FM 876, 10 miles SW of Waxahachie to Five Points, Right l mile on Bethel-Anderson Road to Higgins Road, left to Boyd Ranch. Located near High Springs on Chambers Creek. This cemetery is not maintained. It is on private property and is not easily accessible. Many of the early graves have been removed to Bethel Cemetery. There are only a few markers left. The oldest burial date recorded is 1854.

(ECGS Volume 11)

 

HOOSER CEMETERY (Hooser-Blanton)

Located FM 667 south of Italy; 5.2 miles to Hooser Road. Go to end of road, and left 1 mile on Hamrock Road. Cemetery is on the Left at corner of Joe's Road. This cemetery is not maintained and is not easily accessible. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1849.

(ECGS Volume 4)

 

Return to top

 

HOPEWELL CEMETERY

Located east of Mountain Peak Road. This cemetery is not maintained and is not easily accessible. This cemetery has not been inventoried.

(This cemetery is not at present in any ECGS Volume.)

 

HUGHES CEMETERY

Located NE of Avalon, 1.5 miles on FM 55, left on Cemetery Circle Road., 1-3/4 miles on the right. This cemetery is not maintained and is not easily accessible.

(ECGS Volume 11)

 

HUGHES CEMETERIES (Hispanic section)

Located same as Hughes Cemetery.

(ECGS Volume 11)

 

HUGHES CEMETERIES (African American section)

Location across the road from Hughes Cemetery.

(ECGS Volume 11)

 

HYDE-PRUDE CEMETERY

Located 3-1/4 miles west of Palmer on FM 813. This cemetery is on private property, and is privately maintained. Permission should be obtained to enter, and it is not easily accessible. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1871.

(ECGS Volume 1)

 

IOOF-ODDFELLOWS & REBEKAH CEMETERY

Located 1.5 Miles East of Ennis on Oak Grove Road, next to IOOF Rest Home, on the right. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1940.

(ECGS Volume 4)

 

IRVINE FARM CEMETERY

Located near Garrett, Texas. Recorded July 1957. Farm once owned by Charles Thomas Irvine who came to Texas from Georgia following Civil War. Only two graves are recorded, one of which is for Charles Thomas Irvine. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1886.

(ECGS Volume 11)

 

ITALY CITY CEMETERY

Located in the town of Italy, Texas. Located just off Hwy 77. Cemetery is on the immediate right. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1820.

(ECGS Volume 1)

 

JACKSON FAMILY CEMETERY

Located 5 miles SW of Maypearl; right on Jackson Road. Cemetery on the right. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1880.

(ECGS Volume 1)

 

KRANTZ FARM

Located East of Midlothian at the Intersection of Hwy 287 & 67. East on Hwy 287 for 1.5 miles. Turn right. Cemetery is on left at end of drive. This cemetery is on private property and is not easily accessible. Cemetery is fenced and is maintained by the property owner, which is very commendable. Permission should be obtained to enter. The oldest burial date is 1853.

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

LAKEVIEW CEMETERY

Located near SWEATT CEMETERY near Waxahachie. Located 3.5 miles south of Waxahachie on US77, on Keenum property. This cemetery is in front of the Sweatt Cemetery. It is only a few years old, and will be recorded and placed in a future ECGS Volume.

(This cemetery is not at present in any ECGS Volume.)

 

LLEWELLYN GRAVE

Located 6 miles West of I35 on Buena Vista Rd., Right at SSC Lab to Fri-TEX Dairy; .5 miles West of Dairy. Grave is on the left. (There is a story that this grave is that of a child who was riding with his family on a wagon train, and was killed by Indians. The grave is that of Joseph Llewellyn who died May 9, 1875; he was age 5 years 5 months.)

(ECGS Volume 11)

 

LOONEY FAMILY CEMETERY

Located in the middle of a field near Garrett, Texas; just off I-45 near Ellison Concrete Company. This cemetery is not accessible except by walking approximate .5 miles. This cemetery is on private property and permission should be obtained to enter.

(ECGS Volume 11)

 

LUCILLE CEMETERY

Located 3/4 miles east of Palmer on FM 813; cemetery on right side of road. (At the present time there is no inventory of this cemetery. An Inventory is being taken by Church members. This is an African American cemetery, named after a church of the same name in Palmer.)

 

Return to top

 

MABRY FAMILY CEMETERY

Located 3.5 miles on FM 916 toward Auburn to Wiggins Road. Make sharp turn back to right on Wiggins and continue for 1 mile to Jackson Road. Turn right and go to top of hill. Cemetery is on private property and permission must be obtained to enter. Cemetery is not maintained and is considered a neglected cemetery. The oldest grave identified is dated 1878. (Some cannot be found any longer.)

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

MALONEY CEMETERY

Located on FM 55 South 5.3 miles to Nash. Turn left on Howard Road . 7 miles then right on Feaster Road 2.6 miles. Cemetery is on the right. This cemetery is fenced, and was recently restored by some family members. It is maintained and visited on a regular basis. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1889.

(ECGS Volume 4)

 

MANGRAM GRAVE

Located .2 miles from Kirvin Gin south to dead end, then left 2 miles. The grave is on the left. There is only one grave at this location; Almeater Mangram b. 1 September 1894 d. 23 Aug 1936.

(ECGS Volume 11)

 

MAYPEARL CEMETERY

Located .5 miles NW of Maypearl; on FM 157, cemetery is on the right. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1891.

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

McCULLOCH CEMETERY**

Located West of Italy, off Bell Branch Road; cemetery is on Hidden Valley Property. Not easily accessible. This would be considered a neglected cemetery, one of the many in Ellis County. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1873.

(ECGS Volume 1)

 

McCULLOCH-WITTEN CEMETERY**

Located 1.5 miles east of Hill County, SW of Maypearl, north side of road on Carter Ranch. This cemetery is not easily accessible, is on private property. The cemetery is directly behind the windmill. Cemetery is visible from the road; and as of February 1999, the stones were in the process of being cleaned and restored. They are to be replaced and the cemetery area is to be fenced in. It is wonderful to know that some of these old cemeteries are being preserved and those who rest there are being given the respect they deserve. NOTE* Access to this cemetery is permitted with permission of owner.*

(We have a listing and this recording will be in the next printing of ECGS Volume I.)

 

MIDLOTHIAN CEMETERY

Located l block west of HWY 287 on FM 663. This cemetery is in use and is maintained. There is a cemetery association to care for this cemetery. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1857.

(ECGS Volume 1)

 

MILFORD CEMETERY

Located in the town of Milford, just off Water Street. This cemetery is in use and is maintained. This cemetery has an historical marker which states some of the history of the town and of the cemetery. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1858.

(ECGS Volume 4)

 

MT. ZION CEMETERY

Located south of Midlothian on FM 663, to Mt. Zion Road; left about 3.5 miles, cemetery is on the left. This cemetery has an historical marker which states some of the history of the area and of the cemetery. This cemetery is fenced and is maintained. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1861.

(ECGS Volume 1)

 

MOUNTAIN PEAK CEMETERY

Located south of Midlothian on FM 875; right 1 mile, cemetery is on the left. This cemetery is maintained. There is an historical marker which states some of the history of the area and of the cemetery. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1877.

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

MYRTLE CEMETERY

Located in Ennis west on Ennis Ave. (Hwy 287) to Glasscock Road (there is a car-wash on the corner). There is a cemetery directional sign. Cemetery is .1 mile on the left. Cemetery is fenced, is maintained and there is a cemetery association. There is a historical marker which states the history of the cemetery and something about the surrounding community. (Note: this cemetery is so named because of the many beautiful crepe myrtle trees on this property.) The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is

(ECGS Volumes 9 and 10)

 

Return to top

 

NEWTON CEMETERY

At Midlothian intersection of Hwy 187 & S. 9th St., turn south on S. 9th Street for .4 miles to Walter Stephenson Rd., right on Walter Stephenson Rd. for 18 miles until it ends at a pasture. Cemetery is just ahead. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1858. (The oldest grave is Larken Newton d. 21 May 1858 age 64 yrs 2 mos 6 das (A veteran of the War of 1812, with Andrew Jackson in the Battle of New Orleans).

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

NORMAN CEMETERY

Located off I-45 at Trumbull Exit; 4.5 miles east on Newton Road. Cemetery is on the left and is on private property. Permission should be obtained to enter. This is a neglected cemetery and has been badly vandalized and left to ruin. There are descendants who are forming an association with the hope of preserving this location. The oldest grave recorded in this cemetery is 1882.

(ECGS Volume 1)

 

OAK BRANCH CEMETERY

Located I 35, right on FM 1446 to Oak Branch Rd., 1.5 miles, cemetery is on the right. There are many unmarked graves in this cemetery. This cemetery is in use and has a cemetery association. There is an historical marker which states some of the history of the cemetery and of the area. The oldest burial date in this cemetery is 1881.

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

OVILLA CEMETERY

Located just behind the United Methodist Church in Ovilla, Texas. This cemetery is in use, and is maintained on a regular basis. The oldest grave recorded in this cemetery is 1887.

(ECGS Volume 3).

 

OZRO CEMETERY

Located NW of Maypearl, north on FM 157 to Ozro road; turn left 3/4 miles, cemetery is on the left. This cemetery is in use and is maintained. There is an historical marker which states some of the history of the cemetery and of the area. Cemetery is maintained and well kept. The oldest burial date in this cemetery is 1870.

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

PACE CEMETERY

Located near Palmer on the old Oscar Searcy farm on Pace Road. It is approximately 2 miles to cemetery. (There is a dirt "Trail" to cemetery, and is not accessible by car. )This cemetery is not easily accessible and is on private property. Permission should be obtained to enter.

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

PALMER CEMETERY

Located on FM 813 east of Palmer to Cemetery. Just across from the Palmer Post Office, there is a directional sign, which points toward the cemetery. This cemetery is maintained, and has a cemetery association to care for this cemetery. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1875.

(ECGS Volume 3)

 

PATTERSON FAMILY CEMETERY

Located 2 miles south of Milford, on the Bob Smith Farm. This cemetery is on private property and permission should be obtained to enter. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1866.

(ECGS Volume 4)

 

PAYNE CEMETERY

This cemetery is located on FM 813 from Palmer 6.6 miles to Clouse Road; turn left on Clouse Road; and the cemetery is approximately .3 miles into a pasture. It is accessible but not easily. It is on private property and permission should be obtained to enter. This property was once known as the old Buck Farrar Farm. All the markers are still intact and inside fencing; but the fencing badly needs repair. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1863.

(ECGS Volume 3)

 

PIONEER SHILOH CEMETERY

Located in Ovilla, Texas; at the Shiloh Cumberland Presbyterian Church, .6 miles so. Of Ovilla, right on Shiloh Rd. Cemetery and Church on the left. This cemetery is in use and has a cemetery association. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1853.

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

PLEASANT VALLEY CEMETERY

Located on the Ellis County Line; on Texas Plum Rd. at Cedar Hill, Texas. (Not at present listed in any of the ECGS Volumes.)

 

PLUTO CEMETERY

Located 5 miles S-SE of Maypearl just off FM 308; SW on Pluto Road to Berry Rd., right on Berry Rd. to Mill Creek. Cemetery on Mill Creek Road. This cemetery is not easily accessible and is on private property. Permission should be obtained to enter. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1885.

(ECGS Volume 3)

 

Return to top

 

QUINN FARM CEMETERY

Located just west of the Auburn Community. Take FM 916 to the 2nd Dawson Rd. sign, and on to the 1st locked gate on the left. The gate is 4.7 miles from the fork in the road of Hwy 66 & Fm 916 just west of Maypearl. There is a trail that leads to the gate in the woods some distance where the cemetery is located. This cemetery is not maintained and is located on private property. The graves are covered in brush and are overgrown. Perhaps someday this location will be maintained and preserved. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1860.

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

RICHARDSON FAMILY CEMETERY

Located on the old Richardson family farm near Reagor Springs. This cemetery is on private property and permission must be obtained to enter. The Richardson family restored this cemetery and restored many of the markers in spring 1998. This cemetery is fenced and the gate is locked. There is a historical marker, but it is not at this location. The marker is located on Hwy 287 at the Reagor Springs Road Exit. The marker states the history of the cemetery and the surrounding area of that time. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1879.

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

RED OAK CEMETERY

Located South of Red Oak on Hwy 77 (FM342), on the right side of the road. This cemetery is in use and has an historical marker. The marker states the history of the cemetery and the community of Red Oak. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1867.

(ECGS Volume 3)

 

REDWINE CEMETERY (African American)

Located .5 miles west of Alma on FM 1183 to the Alma Cemetery Road entrance. Past the entrance .5 miles further on the right side of the road.

(As of this date, this cemetery has not been listed.)

 

RITCHEY GRAVE

Located west of Italy, Texas in the area once known as "Buzzard's Roost". There is only the one grave, that of Ellen Ritchey, wife of Nathan Ritchey, died 1872 age 52 years.

(As of this date, this grave is not listed in any volume of ECGS.)

 

SARDIS CEMETERY

Located West on Hwy 287, 4 miles from Ellis County Courthouse to the Sardis exit; stay on service road to dead-end, left over Hwy 287, then left again .4 miles; right at the Methodist Church, cross the bridge and the Railroad tracks; right 6 miles to cemetery. This cemetery is in use, and has an association to maintain it. There is an historical marker which states the history of the cemetery and the community.

The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1876.

(ECGS Volume 11)

 

SEVIER CEMETERY

Located FM 566 west of Milford, cross I-35, Left 1.2 miles, then right 1/2 mile; left 1/4 mile then right 3/4 miles and left to Sevier Road. Turn on Sevier Road, cemetery is in a grove of trees on the left. This cemetery is on private property and is not maintained.

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

SINGLETON CEMETERY

Located South of Midlothian to FM 875; right to Salvation Rd., Left about 1.5 miles to the Salvation Army Camp. The cemetery is on their property, very close to the lake. As stated, this cemetery is on private property and permission should be obtained to enter. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1863.

(ECGS Volume 4)

 

SLATE ROCK ROAD GRAVESITES

Located East of Ferris on FM 660 at Bristol Turn left; go .2 of a mile to Slate Rock Rd., another 4 miles to Hart family farm. This location is on private property and permission must be obtained to enter. This is a very small cemetery, there is only one marker, that of a WWII soldier, and 3 or 4 unmarked graves. The unusual thing about this location is that when the cemetery was began, cedar trees were planted in a square, an approximated 12 foot square and resembles a room. The date of the beginning of this cemetery is said to be mid to late 1800's. This cemetery has not been recorded and is not in one of the ECGS volumes at this time. (Story related by Mr. Hart in 1997.)

 

SMITH CEMETERY

Located from Palmer, turn right on FM 813 for 5.4 miles to Farrar Road; left on Farrar Road Rutherford Rd., go 2.2 miles till you cross the bridge, to Smith Cemetery Rd., turn right, cemetery is on the immediate left. There is a historical marker which states the history of the cemetery and of the surrounding community. This is a family cemetery, and all are related to the Smith family in some way.

Cemetery is well maintained, has a cemetery association and is fenced.

The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1842.

(ECGS Volume 4)

 

Return to top

 

SMITHWICK PARK CEMETERY

Located in Italy, Texas, directly behind the Italy City Cemetery. From main street, turn left on the road to the Italy Cemetery. After crossing the bridge turn left into the cemetery and continue on to the back of the cemetery through a small wooded area. This cemetery is fenced and is well maintained. The first burials were in 1971.

(ECGS Volume 1)

 

ST JOSEPH CEMETERY

Located west of ENNIS on HWY 287, just outside Ennis city limits, cemetery is on the left. This cemetery is fenced and is maintained. This cemetery is maintained by St. John Catholic Church.

(ECGS Volume 8)

 

ST PAUL CEMETERY

Located 4 miles NW of Midlothian on Hwy 287. (The church adjacent to the cemetery recently burned.) There is a historical marker which states the history of the cemetery and the surrounding community. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1879.

(ECGS Volume 4)

 

SWEATT CEMETERY

Located 3.5 miles south of Waxahachie on US 77, east of Hwy. On Keenom property. This cemetery is on private property and permission should be obtained to enter. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1853.

(ECGS Volume 4)

 

TELICO CEMETERY

Located Hwy 34 East from Ennis to FM 1182; At the Telico store, take the first right. The road ends at the cemetery, between Cabin & Pecan Grove. This cemetery is fenced and is maintained. The gate is locked. There is an historical marker which states the history of the cemetery and the surrounding community. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1869.

(ECGS Volume 11)

 

UNION HILL CEMETERY

Located 2 miles SW of Bristol on Union Hill Rd., Cemetery is on the right near the road. It is fenced and is occasionally maintained. Many stones are broken, or have disappeared beneath the ground. This cemetery can be considered a neglected cemetery. It is fenced but is susceptible to vandalism. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1871. There are plans being made to restore this cemetery.

(ECGS Volume 1)

 

WAKEFIELD CEMETERY (African American)

Located on East Jefferson St., Waxahachie, Texas. This cemetery is in use, but at the present time there is no recorded listing.

 

WALNUT SPRINGS CEMETERY (African American)

Located East of Ferris on FM 780, corner Hall Rd. & FM 780. Cemetery is on the left, is badly deteriorated and unless something is done, will be completely gone in a few years. Many markers are either missing or have disappeared beneath the ground. The oldest marker recorded several years ago when the last listing was done is 1896. The cemetery is no longer accessible and it is a difficult walk to reach the cemetery.

(ECGS Volume 3)

 

WALTER HEINE FARM (Apperson Family Cemetery)

Located .8 mile east of Waxahachie, Texas on Howard Road; at the intersection of Hwy 77 and Howard Rd. This cemetery is on private property, but is not maintained. Oldest burial in this cemetery is 1852.

(ECGS Volume 3)

 

WATSON CEMETERY

Located east of Italy, Texas just off Hwy 34, on left side of the road 1.5 miles from Italy City Limits. Fenced and stones have been restored. It is on private property, easily accessible but permission should be obtained to enter.

(Not listed in any present volume, but will be listed in the next printing of ECGS Volume 1)

 

WAXAHACHIE CITY CEMETERY

Located west of the Courthouse on Main St to Hawkins St., left to cemetery.

There is an historical marker which states the history of the cemetery and the surrounding area.

(ECGS Volume 5)

 

WHITFIELD CEMETERY

Located 6 miles SW of Maypearl on the Old Whitfield farm. Turn left off Hwy 66 on FM Rd. 308, to Pluto Rd.. Right on Pluto Rd. to Berry's Chapel. Cemetery is located on the left side of Berry's Chapel. The oldest burial date recorded in this cemetery is 1899. Cemetery is on private property and permission should be obtained to enter.

(ECGS Volume 4)

 

WILLIAMS CEMETERY**
Located West of Italy Texas just off Bell Branch Rd. ( This cemetery is the same as McCullough)

(ECGS Volume 2)

 

** The McCulloch, The McCulloch Witten & The Williams Cemetery are the same. All will be in Vol. I

 

Return to top

 

A NOTE FROM THE

ELLIS COUNTY GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

 

Many cemeteries are in the process of being updated. The directions are updated as soon as the volunteers have the chance to go out and view the cemetery as to its location, condition etc. Our members have done a good job with this project. Weather does not permit us to go out and do this project as soon as we would like, but it will be accomplished soon. We hope to be able to publish our first updated Volume sometime in 1999 or early 2000.

 

This list may not be complete, we welcome information to make these updates as correct as possible. With dedicated volunteers, perhaps this cemetery update collection can be completed early in the year 2000. (**Weather permitting.) Nothing worthwhile is easily accomplished.

 

One important thing we have found in the research. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ABANDONED CEMETERY, AS LONG AS THERE ARE PEOPLE BURIED IN A PLACE, IT IS ONLY A "NEGLECTED" CEMETERY. It is hoped that with the new publications and new direction updates, descendants will become involved in the preservation of many of these "out of the way" cemeteries and the resting places of their ancestors will receive the care and dignity they deserve.

 

Return to top