The Ellis County Museum is always on the lookout for historical photographs of communities, structures, businesses and individuals of our county. If one wishes to donate or submit original photos or digital images to the museum's collection, please see the contact information on our home page.
The majority of the photographs in the museum's collection are of Waxahachie. One of our major goals is to acquire better photographic representation of the county. Please assist us in this endeavor by donating or allowing us to scan photos in your private collection.
Home Page Photos Index Communities Midlothian History
Use your browser's back button to return to this page.
Cotton wagons in downtown Midlothian, ca. 1900.
Midlothian depot, circa 1910.
Downtown Midlothian, circa 1910, North 8th Street between Avenues E and F. Mr. G. B. Parker, owner of G. B. Parker's Blacksmith & Horseshoe Shop, worked until he was 97 years old. Note vending wagon at the far right of the photo.
First United Methodist Church, Midlothian, late 1940's. Photo shows the congregation with D. L. Barnes as pastor.
Street scene in Midlothian, circa 1900.
Trades Day, downtown Midlothian, circa 1910. This activity took place on the West side 8th Street.
Trades Day, East side of 8th Street, downtown Midlothian, circa 1915.
Henry Witherspoon Grocery, downtown Midlothian on South Ave. F between 7th & 8th Streets, circa 1900. Mr. Witherspoon was blind, but was supposedly able to change paper money by touch.
Photo by Barnes Aerial Surveys of Midlothian's public schools circa 1935. The three schools were together between 1923 and 1953. A gym was added across the street in 1948. Today this is the current location of the Irvin Elementary School. Schools are L to R: Del Mason Dees Primary (1-4), the grammar school (5-8), and the high school.
Midlothian Post Office, circa 1940.
Ward Farm, Midlothian featuring Ford tractor and plowing discs. Individuals L to R: Lark Newton, Doc Sewell, Sam Martin, Tom Dees, Jake Sewell, unknown, Griggs Gougher.
First Salk polio vaccine in Midlothian, 1955. Dr. Kochevar on left, Mr. Mills on right (his office). Phama Kay is the lady with glasses and the students are 2nd graders. (from the Karen Kay Esberger collection)