Ellis County TXGenWeb

Ellis County Cemeteries

Locations and Brief History

Courtesy of
The Ellis County Genealogical Society
Copies of these publications may be ordered from:
Ellis County Genealogical Society
P. O. Box 479
Waxahachie, Texas 75168-0479
For further information, contact Susie Toal


All cemetery volumes have now been updated .  The County Coordinator  (on behalf of Ellis County researchers) thanks Susie Toal and all the dedicated volunteers who worked very hard to finish this long range  project.

Quoting  Susie:
We have found one very important thing during this research. There are no "abandoned" cemeteries if people are buried there. They are classified as "neglected" cemeteries. It is our hope that the new publications and directions will be an inspiration to descendants to become involved in the preservation of many of these "out of the way" cemeteries so that the resting place of their ancestors will receive the care and dignity they richly deserve.
.

ALMA CEMETERY

Located off I-45 at Alma. Take first road - FM 1183  - .5 miles to Cemetery sign, then .5 miles to gate on left. There is a dirt road to cemetery .  It is in use, fenced, but not maintained on a regular basis. The oldest burial recorded is 1881. [ECGS Vol 1 ****] \

ALSDORF (Black) CEMETERY

Located off Hwy 32  5.2 miles E. of Ennis to Alsdorf Rd., 1.2 mi. to sharp L-turn; cemetery in in field directly ahead just beyond the metal gate. There is no Cemetery Association and it is not maintained on a regular basis. ****

ANDREWS CEMETERY

Located on FM  813. From Waxahachie S. of Rockett on Loma Linda Road. Turn right on Loma Linda just past Rockett Cafe; .5 miles to Gentle Ridge; l mile to cemetery which is located just off the road on the left next to a private residence. No longer in use and privately maintained. Oldest burial date recorded in 1863. [ECGS Vol. I ****]

ASTONIA CEMETERY

Located 2 miles SE of crossroad in Avalon on FM 55; left on Lee's Rd. 1.5 miles; right .1 miles to Astonia Rd., then left 1/4 mile. Cemetery is on right; is fenced but not maintained on regular basis. There is no sign but cemetery can be seen from road. Oldest burial date is 1872. ****

AUBURN CEMETERY

Located on FM 66 west of Maypearl. At fork in road turn right on FM 917 toward Grandview 4 miles to Auburn Road; turn on Auburn, then right at cemetery sign. Cemetery in use and maintained.   Historic Marker;Oldest burial recorded in 1878. [ECGS Vol 1****]

BAKER FARM CEMETERY

Located 2 miles west of Ovilla. No longer in use and not maintained. Many stones were moved to the Shiloh Pioneer Cemetery ( in Ovilla) when a construction project was begun here. Oldest burial date recorded is 1859. Located on private property -- need permission to enter. [ECGS Vol. 4]****

BARDWELL CEMETERY (Elm Branch)

Located off Hwy 34 at Bardwell; turn left at Waxahachie Ave. 1-1/2 miles SE of Bardwell on FM 984. There is a directional sign at cemetery drive. Cemetery in use and maintained on regular basis.  Also known as Elm Branch Cemetery [ECGS Vol. 2]****

BECK WILSON CEMETERY

In Italy, located just off Dallas St. Cemetery is very small.  ****

BEE CREEK CEMETERY

Located FM 66 4 mi S. of Maypearl to Bee Creek; South on Bee Creek to Witten Rd; rt 1/4 mi to cemetery. No longer in use and not maintained. Oldest burial date recorded 1879. Also known as old Cornwell Cemetery. [ECGS Vol. 3.****]

BELL'S CHAPEL CEMETERY

Located NW of Rockett, left on Bell's Chapel Rd. 1.7 miles. Cemetery is on left. It is in use, maintained and has a cemetery association. Historic Marker Oldest burial date is 1851. [ECGS Vol. 3****] See inscriptions in USGenWeb Archives

BETHEL CEMETERY

Located SW of Waxahachie on FM 876; right at Five Points on Bethel Anderson Rd., north 1.5 miles to cemetery, which is on the right. It is in use and maintained on a regular basis. Historic Marker. {ECGS Vol.. 11****]

BLANTON-HOOSIER CEMETERY

Located S. of Italy in a field near the county line.  Take FM 667 SE of Italy 5.2 mi to end of road; go left 1 mi on Hamrock Rd; cemetery is on left side of road just before you reach the bridge across the creek and directly across from the headquarters of the Hoosier barns and headquarters.  Cemetery is on private property, with locked gate and not easily accessible.  Permission must be obtained to enter.  Many stones were not found at the time of this reading and this cemetery classed as "neglected." Cemetery no longer in use and not maintained. [ECGS Vol. 4****] See inscriptions in  USGenWeb Archives

BLUFF SPRINGS CEMETERY

Located on FM 983 from Ferris, 2.8 mi to Bluff Springs Road; turn Rt on Bluff Springs for 1/2 mi; cemetery is just off the road to the left, just north of the Bear Creek old iron bridge. Cemetery is fenced, on private property, not easily accessible and not maintained - is considered "neglected." Oldest burial date is 1878.  This cemetery has been badly vandalized in recent years; many stones are overturned, damaged, lost under the soil or washed into the creek.  Sadly, many markers of early settlers have been lost forever.  [ECGS Vol 4****]

BOREN-REAGOR SPRINGS CEMETERY

From Waxahachie, take 287 east. Located off US 287 at Reagor Springs, 2.5 miles on right. On private property - need permission to enter. Cemetery not easily accessible since there is no road directly to it. Location has been cleared and cleaned and is being restored by family members, friends and members of the O. M. Roberts SCV Camp and Daffan Latimer #287 Chapter in Ennis. A newly formed cemetery association is raising funds for future care of the cemetery.[ECGS Vol. 4****] Link to Inscriptions on Boren-Reagor Springs Historical Society's Home Page.

BRANDON CEMETERY

Located in SW corner of Ellis County near community of Brandon.  Take Hwy 308 from Milford to Mertens; left on FM 1243 1.1 miles to small cemetery on left. Many stones are broker or completely missing.  This was originally a family cemetery. Oldest burial is 1856.  ****

BRISTOL CEMETERY

Located in the community of Bristol. Exit I-45 on FM 879 for 5 miles to FM 813, rt on 813 for 3 mi to Bristol. Turn on Union Hill Rd. The cemetery is located on that Road adjacent to Bristol Baptist Church, 1 block to the right of the Bristol School Bldg. This cemetery is fenced, in perpetual care and maintained on a regular basis by an association. Historical Marker. Oldest burial date recorded is 1876.  The cemetery association has possession of the school building which also bears a historical marker. The building is used for fund raisers in the Bristol community with proceeds from the annual Thanksgiving Dinner going to the preservation of the cemetery. [ECGS Vol. 1****]

BRITTON CEMETERY

Located on the SW edge of Britton community, 5 mi SE of Mansfield, South on street just east of Methodist Church on Noah St. Cemetery is near church and maintained. Oldest burial date recorded is 1896. [ECGS Vol. 3]**** See inscriptions in  USGenWeb Archives

BROOKS FAMILY CEMETERY

This small cemetery, enclosed in a wood fence, is located just off Burnett St. in Ennis, near an apartment complex. From I-45 take Kaufman St. exit; follow service road 2.1 miles past Walmart, Allen Samuels Autoplex and the Ford Dealership. Cemetery can be accessed only by walking. It is surrounded by property owned by the City of Ennis. The cemetery was cleared and brush removed in July 2000. The ECHC hopes that it will receive a historical designation and maintenance will be continued by descendants of the Brooks family. ****

BURNHAM CEMETERY

Located 3.1 miles south of Ennis, off Ensign Rd. west to Brazier Rd., turn right to dead end road; turn left and there is a brick house on right. Cemetery on primate property; permission needed to enter. It is no longer in use and not maintained. Cemetery has a Historical marker which has been placed near to a main road for visibility and identification purposes. Oldest burial date recorded in 1872. [ECGS Vol. 4]****

CLAY CEMETERY [Sign reads "CLAY-BELL"]

Located I-45 to Italy; right on L. R. Campbell Rd. 2.6 mi; sign at 1408 Campbell Rd. has arrow directing toward cemetery. It is no longer in use, on private property. [ECGS Vol. 1]****

CLOPTON FARM CEMETERY

Located 3 miles from Rockett on FM 813. Located on private property and no longer in use. Not easily accessible and permission needed to enter. It is near the road and has been cleaned. [This was once a large family farm, but now is only a small area]. [ECGS Vol. 1****]

COLLIER FARM CEMETERY

Located 2 mi east of Italy, just off Hwy 34 on private property. No longer in use; privacy gates and permission must be obtained to enter. Not easily assessible. Oldest burial date recorded 1855.[ECGS Vol. 3****]

CORNWELL CEMETERY
See Bee Creek Cemetery.

COUCH CEMETERY

Located NW of Rockett on Bell's Chapel Rd 2.7 mi; cemetery is on left on private property; no longer in use and not easily accessible. Permission required to enter. Not maintained and would be considered a neglected cemetery. NOTE; Four Douglas family graves were removed in early 1998 and relocated in the the Douglas Cemetery, located on FM 983, also on private property.[ECGS Vol. 1****]

CRISP CEMETERY

From I-45FM 879, 3 miles to Shankle Road. right on Shankle 3.7 mi. to cemetery which is located corner of Shankle and Crisp Road. Cemetery Association, fenced, and maintained on regular basis. Gate is always locked except on holidays. Oldest recorded burial date is 1872.  Also known as Hines Chapel Cemetery.[ECGS Vol. 3****]

DEAN CEMETERY

Private property; locked gate; need permission to enter. Located .4 miles east of Avalon of Hwy34 on north side of road. Not accessible by car; no longer in use and not maintained on a regular basis although it has been recently restored by family members.

[ECGS Vol. 2]****

DOUGLAS CEMETERY

Located 5 mi. NE Rockett on FM 983 on private property. Permission to enter must be obtained. Cemetery not easily accessible, but is in use and maintained. [In the spring of 1988 the remains of four members of the Douglas family were re-interred from the Couch Cemetery to this one. Oldest burial date recorded is 1850. [ECGS Vol. 3]****

ELM'S BRANCH

See Bardwell Cemetery.

ENNIS HEBREW CEMETERY

Cemetery is a part of the Myrtle Cemetery in Ennis. [ECGS Vol. 10]

FERGUSON FARM CEMETERY


Located at west end of Bardwell Dam, just south of Ennis. Take the bypass to Hwy 287 to Hwy 34 and go 3.6 mi. south on Hwy 34 to FM 985 Turn left to cemetery 1.9 miles to left. At one time a neglected cemetery, it is now fenced and well kept by the lake personnel. Oldest burial date recorded is 1870.[ECGS Vol. 3****]

FERRIS MEMORIAL PARK NORTH

Located west of Ferris on FM 664, turn right on Ewing Rd which runs into Ferris Rd; cemetery is just to left with entrance on Ferris Road. Cemetery is fenced, has cemetery association and has perpetual care. Oldest Oldest burial date recorded is 1886. [ECGS Vol. 7****]

FERRIS MEMORIAL PARK SOUTH

Located west of Ferris on FM 983 on right of road. Cemetery very old but is maintained by the Ferris Cemetery Association. It is not fenced and some of the oldest stones were destroyed by vandalism in recent years. Oldest grave is that of a child dated 1852. [ECGS Vol. 1****]

FORRESTON CEMETERY

Located off Hwy 77 at Forreston Exit; .1 mi to church; turn right at church on Lumpkin Rd .3 miles to cemetery sign. on the immediate right. Cemetery is still in use and maintained. Oldest burial date recorded is 1858. {ECGS Vol. 3****]

FORT FARM CEMETERY

Located Hwy 77 about .7 mi to Lumpkin RD SE of Forreston; left on Lumpkin 2.1 mi; a large barn some distance from the road is on the right and cemetery is located in a grove of trees in front of barn. Cemetery not easily accessible, no longer in use and not maintained. Located on private property and permission needed to enter.Oldest burial recorded was 1868 but few stones are left at this time. [ECGS Vol. 3****]

FRATERNAL CEMETERY (Black)

Located on East Jefferson St. in Waxahachie. Cemetery has not been inventoried.

GARDEN VALLEY CEMETERY

See Glenwood Cemetery.

GEASLIN CEMETERY

Located near Palmer on old D. A. Epps Farm. From I-45, go west on FM 813 to McKeever Rd., turn east on Epps Rd; just past 705 Epps Rd (former Geaslin homestead) looking north, there is a grove of trees.Cemetery is inaccessible from Epps Rd. and permission must be obtained to go through private property. Cemetery can be entered from Farrar Rd., but still on private property plus several fences. Oldest burial date recorded is 1883. {ECGS Vol. 3****]

GLENWOOD CEMETERY

Located east of Forreston. Take Hwy 77 so. of Waxahachie to Boyce Grain on left sd of rd. At junction of Hwy 77 and Why 55, turn left on Hwy 55 to Nash Community; turn right on Holder Rd for 1 mi. to Forreston Rd; turn right on Forreston about 1/4 mi. Cemetery not easily accessible and not maintained. Oldest burial date recorded is 1883. The community of Nash was once known as Garden Valley and the cemetery also known by that name. [ECGS Vol. 23****]

GRADY CEMETERY

From Ennis, turn left on Clay Street and go 1.2 mi. to Hwy 34; turn rt. and go 5 miles to intersection of Hwy 34 and FM 985; turn left on FM 985 and go 4.1 mi. to S. Anthony Road; turn right and continue for 1.5 miles. Road curves and becomes Hodge Rd; sign reading "Grady Cemetery" is on fence on left. Cemetery is on immediate right. It is fenced, in use, and there is a cemetery association. Privately maintained - many lots by family members. Oldest burial date recorded in 1885. Also known as Hodge Cemetery [ECGS Vol. 4]****

GRAVES CEMETERY

Located near Rockett. Turn left on Bell's Chapel Road 2.10 mi; cemetery is on right on private property. Permission needed to enter. Cemetery is in use and privately maintained. Oldest burial date in 1859.   {ECGS Vol. 2****]  Link to inscriptions in the USGenWeb Archives.

GREATHOUSE CEMETERY

Located 1.5 mi. east of Maypearl; turn right on Greathouse Rd 3-1-4 miles; cemetery is on the left. It is no longer in use but does have a cemetery association and is maintained, Historic Marker. Oldest grave recorded is 1881. [ECGS Vol. 3****]

HAMROCK CEMETERY (Weir Family)

Located 5 mi. SE Italy very close to area once known as the Slay Community. Take Hwy 667 S. of Italy about 5.2 miles to Hoosier Rd., Turn right on Housier to end and left on Hamrock Rd about 1/2 mile to gravel road.Cemetery not accessible by car; is on private property; permission to enter required. Is no longer in use and not maintained; not accessible by car. [ECGS Vol. 2****]

HARDEMAN FAMILY CEMETERY

From Waxahachie, take I-35 E to Forreston; turn left under expressway to Hwy 77, and continue 3.6 miles from Forreston sign on the south to Kinfolks Rd., and right on Kinfolks 1/4 mile. Cemetery is to the right in a small grove of trees near a private road. Cemetery is fenced with a closed gate. Permission to enter required. Cemetery is not maintained and in poor condition. Most of the stones were found; others are most likely buried under dirt or overgrown ground cover. This is the burial site for early Ellis County settlers, but sadly, has been allowed to ruin. Oldest burial date is 1857 - that of Mary Hardeman, wife of John M. Hardeman - a soldier in the Texas Revolution. His stone is broken.             [ECGS Vol. 4]

HARPOLD FAMILY CEMETERY

Located just off I-35E at County Rd; exit #384 just south of Italy exit. Cemetery is fenced, behind a red barn on private property. **** Has been inventoried and will appear in future volume of ECGS.

HEFLEY CEMETERY

Take FM 660 to Bristol, left 3 miles on Stacks Rd ti Slate Road 3/4 miles.  Cemetery is on right, fenced and maintained.  There is an identifying sign over the entrance gate.  This is a very old cemetery - oldest recorded burial is 1855. [ECGS Vol. 4]****

HIGH SPRINGS CEMETERY

Located 10 miles SW Waxahachie, FM 876 off I-35 to 5 Points; 1 mile on Bethel -Anderson Rd to Higgins Rd, then left to Boyd Ranch.  Gate is locked,  Permission needed to enter. Not maintained and many graves moved to  Bethel Cemetery leaving only a very few markers.  This would be considered a neglected cemetery,  Has been inventoried and will appear in a future ECGS volume..

HILLCREST BURIAL PARK CEMETERY

Located 1 mile west of Waxahachie on US 287. There is a cemetery association and the cemetery is maintained. Oldest burial date recorded is 1904. [ECGS Vol.2****}

HINES CHAPEL CEMETERY
See Crisp Cemetery.

HODGE CEMETERY
See Grady Cemetery.

HOOSER CEMETERY
See Blanton-Hoosier Cemetery..

HOPEWELL CEMETERY

Located east of Mt. Peak Rd.  Cemetery not maintained and not easily accessible.  Has not been inventoried and at present not in any publication of ECGS.

HUGHES CEMETERY

Located NE of Avalon 1.5 miles on FM 55; turn left on Cemetery Circle Rd for 1-3/4 miles on right.  Cemetery fenced, maintained and accessible. [ECGS Vol. 11]****

HUGHES CEMETERY (Mexican section)

Same location as above.[ECGS Vol.11]****

HUGHES CEMETERY (Black section)

Located across the road from the Hughes Cemetery. [ECGS Vol. 11]****

HYDE-PRUDE CEMETERY

Located 3-1/4 mi west of Palmer on FM 813. Not easily accessible; on private property; permission needed to enter; privately maintained. Oldest burial date is 1871. [ECGS Vol. 1****]

IOOF-ODDFELLOWS & REBEKAH CEMETERY

Located 1.5 miles east of Ennis on Oak Grove Road next to IOOF Rest Home on right. Oldest burial date recorded is 1940. [ECGS Vol. 4]****

IRVINE FARM CEMETERY.

Located near Garrett, Tex. on private property and difficult to find. Farm once owned by Charles Thomas Irvine who came to Texas after CW from Georgia. Recorded July 1957. Only two graves - one of which is Charles T. Irvine. Oldest burial date is 1886. [ECGS Vol. 11]****

ITALY CITY CEMETERY

Located in Italy just off Hwy 77.  Cemetery is on immediate right.  Oldest burial date is 1820. [ECGS Vol. 1****]

JACKSON FAMILY CEMETERY

Located 5 miles SW of Maypearl; turn right on Jackson Rd; cemetery is on right. Oldest burial recorded is 1880. [ECGS Vol. 1****}

KRANTZ FARM

Located east of Midlothian at intersection of Hwy 287 and 67. East on Hwy 287 1.5 miles. Turn right - cemetery is at end of drive on left. It is on private property, and not easily accessible. Need permission to enter. Fenced and maintained by property owner which is most commendable. Oldest burial date 1853 [ECGS Vol. 23*****}

LAKEVIEW CEMETERY

Located on old Hwy 77 south from Waxahachie about 4 miles to the grain elevator, then left on Hwy 55 toward Avalon; when road turns south, go straight to Chisholm Trail (1/2 mile from Hwy 77), turn left about three miles to Oak Lawn and left up the hill.  Road dead ends into cemetery.  It is in perpetual care; has been inventoried and will be published in a future volume of ECGS. (Sweatt Cemetery has been consolidated into Lakeview). [Volume 11]****

LLEWELLYN GRAVE

Located 6 miles west of 135 on Buena Vista Rd; right at SSC Lab to Fri-Tex Dairy .5 mi west of Dairy; grave is on left - and is that of Joseph Llewellyn who died May 9, 1875, age 5 years, 5 mos. [There is a story that this is a child's grave who was killed by Indians while riding with his family on a wagon train]. [ECGS Vol. 11]. ****

LOONEY FAMILY CEMETERY

Located in middle of field near Garrett just off I-45 near Ellison Concrete Company; not accessible except by walking approximately .5 miles. Private property; need permission to enter. [ECGS Vol. 11]****

LUCILLE CEMETERY

Located 3/4 miles east of Palmer on FM 813; cemetery on right side of road. This is a Black cemetery, named after a Palmer church of the same name. Cemetery has been inventoried and will appear in a future volume of ECGS.

MABRY FAMILY CEMETERY

Located 3.5 miles on FM 916 toward Auburn to Wiggins Road; make sharp turn back to right on Wiggins and continue 1 mile to Jackson Road; turn right and go to top of hill. Cemetery is on private property = must obtain permission to enter. Not maintained and considered a neglected cemetery. Some graves cannot be found at this time. Oldest identified is 1878. [ECGS Vol. 2****]

MALONEY CEMETERY

Located on FM 55 S. 5.3 miles to Nash; turn left on Howard Rd .7 miles and right on Feaster Rd. 2.6 miles. Cemetery is on right; is fenced, and has been recently restored by family members; maintained and visited on regular basis. Oldest burial date 1889. [ECGS Vol. 4]****

MANGRAM GRAVE

Located two miles from Kirvin Gin south to dead end, then left two miles to grave.  Only one burial - that of Almeater Mangram  b. Sept. 1, 1894; d. Aug. 23, 1936. [ECGS Vol. 11]****

MAYPEARL CEMETERY

Located .5 miles NW Maypearl on FM 157 - cemetery is on right. Oldest date recorded is 1891. [ECGS Vol. 2****]

McCULLOCH CEMETERY

Located west of Italy, off Belt Branch Rd; cemetery is on Hidden Valley Property and not easily accessible.  Considered one of many neglected cemeteries in Ellis County.  Oldest burial date recorded is 1873.  The McCulloch, McCulloch Witten and Williams Cemeteries are the same.   [ECGS Vol. 1]****

McCULLOCH-WITTEN CEMETERY

Located 1.5 miles east of Hill County, SW of Maypearl north side of road on Carter Ranch. On private property and not easily accessible. Access is permitted with permission of owner. Cemetery is visible from road and as of February 1999, stones were being cleaned and restored. They are to be replaced and cemetery area fenced. It is wonderful to know that some of these old cemeteries are being preserved and those who rest there are being given the respect they deserve.  [Volume 11]****

MIDLOTHIAN CEMETERY

Located one block west of Hwy 287 on FM 663.  In use, cemetery association, and maintained. Oldest burial date is 1857 [ECGS Vol 1****]  See History of Midlothian Cemetery

MILFORD CEMETERY

Located just off Water Street in Milford; is in use and maintained. Historical Marker. Oldest burial date recorded is 1858. [ECGS Vol. 4]****

MT. ZION CEMETERY

Located south of Midlothian on FM 663, to Mt. Zion Road; left about 3.5 miles, cemetery is on left; fenced and maintained. Historical Marker. Oldest burial recorded 1861. [ECGS Vol. 1****]  

MOUNTAIN PEAK CEMETERY

Located on Business 287, southwest of Waxahachie. Just past Hillcrest Cemetery turn left on FM 875 for 8 miles.Cemetery is on left next to to Hopewell Baptist church. Historical marker. Cemetery is maintained and oldest burial date recorded is 1877. [ECGS Vol. 2****]  

MYRTLE CEMETERY

Located in Ennis west on Ennis Ave. (Hwy 287) to Glasscock Rd (car wash on corner and a cemetery directional sign). Cemetery is .1 mile on left; fenced, maintained, and has cemetery association. Historical Marker.[ECGS Vols. 9 & 10]]****

NECK MEMORIAL CEMETERY (Black)

Located approximately 1 mile from Palmer on FM 813, to the intersection. This is Neck Road; then 1.8 miles on the Road to the cemetery. Not maintained on a regular basis. Has not been inventoried but plan to publish it in a later volume.

NEWTON CEMETERY

At Midlothian intersection of Hwy 187 & S. 9th St., turn so. of S. 9th for .4 miles to Walker Stephenson Rd., right on that Rd. for 18 miles until it ends at a pasture. Cemetery is just ahead. Oldest burial date recorded is 1858 - that of Larkin Newton, veteran of War of 1812, who d. 21 May 1858, age 66 yrs 2 mos 6 das. [ECGS Vol.2****}

NORMAN CEMETERY

Located off I-45 at Trumbull Exit; 4.5 mi. east on Newton Rd; cemetery is on left on private property. Permission to enter required. This is an obscure cemetery which has been vandalized and left to ruin. Descendants are forming an association with the hope of preserving this location. Oldest grave recorded is 1882.[ECGS Vol. 1****]

OAK BRANCH CEMETERY

Located I-35 right on FM 1446 to Oak Branch Rd 1.5 miles; cemetery is on right, There are many unmarked graves, but cemetery is in use and has cemetery association. Oldest burial date is 1881. [ECGS Vol. 1****]

OVILLA CEMETERY

Located just behind the United Methodist church in Ovilla.  Cemetery in use and regularly maintained. Oldest grave recorded is 1887.  [ECGS Vol. 3****]

OZRO CEMETERY

Located NW of Maypearl, north on FM 157 to Ozro Rd; turn left 3/4 miles; cemetery is on left; is in use and maintained. Historic Marker. Oldest burial date 1870. [ECGS Vol. 2****]

PACE CEMETERY

Located approximately 2 miles from Palmer on the old Oscar Searcy farm. There is a dirl "trail: to cemetery not accessible by car.  Private property - need permission to enter. [ECGS Vol 2****]

PALMER CEMETERY

Located on FM 813 east of Palmer.  Just across from the Palmer post office is a directional sign pointing to the cemetery.  It has an association and is maintained.  Oldest burial date recorded in 1875. [ECGS Vol. 3****]

PATTERSON FAMILY CEMETERY

2 miles south of Milford on Bob Smith Farm - private property, need permission to enter. Oldest burial date recorded is 1866. [ECGS Vol. 4]****

PAYNE CEMETERY

Located on FM 813 from Palmer 6.6 miles to Clouse Rd; turn left and cemetery is approximately .3 miles in a pasture; not easily accessible. permission needed to enter; property once known as old Buck Farrar farm. All markers are are still intact with inside fencing which badly needs repair. Oldest burial date is 1863. [ECGS Vol. 3****]

PLEASANT VALLEY CEMETERY

Located on Ellis County line on Texas Plum Rd. at Cedar Hill. Has been inventoried and will be published in a later volume.

PLUTO CEMETERY

Located 5-1/2 miles S-SE of Maypearl.Take Hwy 66 from Maypearl to FM 308 and left to Milford. Continue to Pluto Road turn right; at first left, go straight to the gravel "trail" into a pasture. Cemetery is on immediate left. Mill Creek runs through it. It is not easily accessible and not maintained on a regular basis. Is on private property - need permission to enter. When cemetery was cleaned and brush cleared off in 2001, two stones were found not previously listed. Oldest burial date recorded in 1885 [ECGS Vol. 3*****]

QUINN FAMILY FARM CEMETERY

Locates west of Auburn Community,  Take FM 916 to 2nd Dawson Rd. sign and continue to the 1st locked gate on the left 4.7 miles  from the fork in the roads of Hwy 66 and 916.  A trail leads to the cemetery gate some distance away  in the woods. It is on private property - must obtain permission to enter - and is not maintained.  Graves are overgrown and covered with brush.  Oldest burial date recorded is 1860. [ECGS Vol. 2****]

RICHARDSON FAMILY CEMETERY

Located on old Richardson family farm near Reagor Springs on private property; need permission to enter. Cemetery is fenced and gate is locked. The Richardson family restored this cemetery and many of the markers in 1998. Historical Marker is located on Hwy 287 at Reagor Springs Road exit. Oldest burial date 1879. [ECGS Vol. 2****]

RED OAK CEMETERY

Located south of Red Oak on Hwy 342 on right side of road; in use and has Historical Marker..Oldest burial date is 1867. [ECGS Vol. 3 ****]

REDWINE CEMETERY (Black)

Located 5 miles west of Alma.  Take FM 1183 to Alma Cemetery Road entrance; cemetery is .5 miles further on right side of road.  Has not yet been inventoried but will be included in a future volume ECGS. 

RITCHEY GRAVE

Located west of Italy in area once known as "Buzzard's Roots."  The grave is that of Ellen ritchey, wife of Nathan Ritchen, who died in 1872 age 52 years.  Will be published in future volume of ECGS.

SAND LAKE CEMETERY

Located 2 miles north of Hwy 34 and 1.5 miles west of the East Fork of the Trinity River, south and adjacent to the old Texas-Midland Railroad casemetn.  Cemetery is on private property and permission must be obtained to enter.  There is only one tombstone standing, but evidence that others are present.  Cemetery would be considered a neglected one, since area is littered with broken glass, etc.  It may have been a cemetery for workers on a nearby farm. Will be published in ECGS Vol. 11.

SARDIS CEMETERY

Located on Hwy 287, 4 miles from Ellis County Courthouse. Go west on Hwy 287 to Sardis exit; stay on service road to dead end, then left over Hwy 287 and left again .4 miles; right at the Methodist church, cross bridge and railroad tracks; and right 6 miles to cemetery. It is in use and has a cemetery association to maintain it. Historic Marker. Oldest burial date recorded is 1876.  Link to Inscriptions in USGenWEb Archives.

SEVIER CEMETERY

Located FM Rd 566 west of Milford. Cross I-35, left 1.2 miles, then right 1/2 mile; left 1/4 mile and right 3/4 miles and left to Sevier Rd; turn left on Rd; cemetery is in a grove of trees on left. Is on private property and not maintained. [ECGS Vol. 2****]

SHILOH CEMETERY

Located in Ovilla at the Shiloh Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Go .5 miles south of Ovilla and right on Shiloh Road. Church and cemetery are on left. It is in use and has a cemetery association. Oldest burial date is 1853. [ECGS Vol. 2 ****] Link to Inscriptions in USGenWeb Archives.

SINGLETON CEMETERY

Located south of Midlothian to FM 875; right to Salvation Rd; left about 1.5 miles to Salvation Army Camp. Cemetery is on their property, very close to the lake; permission must be obtained to enter. Oldest burial date recorded is 1863. [ECGS Vol 4]****

SLATE ROCK ROAD GRAVESITES

Located east of Ferris on FM 660 at Bristol. Turn left .2 mile to Slate Rock Rd.,and go 4 miles to Hart family farm. On private property must have permission to enter. This is a very small cemetery with only one marker, that of a WWII soldier, with 3-4 unmarked graves. When the cemetery began, cedar trees were planted in approximately a 12 foot square which resembles a room. First burials are said to have been mid to late 1800s. (Story told by Mr. Hart in 1997). Cemetery has not been recorded and is not in any ECGS volumes as yet]>

SMITH CEMETERY

From Palmer, turn right on FM 813 for 5.4 miles to Farrar Rd; left on Farrar to Rutherford Rd., 2.2 miles until you cross the bridge to Smith Cemetery Rd., turn right; cemetery in on immediate left. This is a family cemetery, and all burials are related in some way to the Smith family. Cemetery is fenced Well maintained, and has a cemetery association. Oldest burial date is 1842. Historic Marker. [ECGS Vol. 4] ****

SMITHWICK PARK CEMETERY

Located directly behind the Italy City Cemetery. From main street, turn left on road to Italy Cemetery. After crossing bridge turn left into cemetery. Fenced and well maintained. First burials recorded 1871. [ECGS Vol. 1****]

ST. JOSEPH CEMETERY

Located west of Ennis on Hwy 287, just outside Ennis city limits; cemetery on left; fenced and maintained by St. John Catholic Church. [ECGS Vol. 8]****

ST. PAUL CEMETERY

Located 4 mi NW of Midlothian on Hwy 287. (The church adjacent to cemetery recently burned). Historic Marker.  Oldest burial recorded is 1879 [ECGS Vol. 4]. ****   Link to Inscriptions in USGenWeb Archives.

STACKS FAMILY CEMETERY

Located on Fm 813 to Blue Bonnet Lane; a small family plot is at the end of the Lane on the right of road beyond the grove of trees. It contains three graves of the earliest settlers of Palmer. Oldest burial is 1871. Has been inventoried and will be in a future volume of ECGS.

SWEATT CEMETERY

Has been consolidated into Lakeview Cemetery. Located 3.5 miles south of Waxahachie on US 77, east of Hwy on Keenom property - need permission to enter. Oldest burial date is 1853. [ECGS Vol. 4]****

TELICO CEMETERY

Located Hwy 34 east from Ennis to FM 1182.  At Telico store take first right.  Road ends at cemetery between Cabin & Pecan Grove.  It is fenced with a locked gate. It is maintained and han an Historical Marker.  Oldest burial recorded is 1869.. [ECGS Vol. 11] ****

TEMPLE FARM CEMETERY

Located near Boren Cemetery in Reagor Springs on property once owned by the Templeton family. Only a few gravestones are listed by evidences (temporary funeral home markers, stumps, concrete blocks, etc. prove many more could be at this location> [To be listed in ECGS Vol. 11] ****

UNION HILL CEMETERY

Located 2 miles SW Bristol on Union Hill Rd. Cemetery is on right near road, is fenced and occasionally maintained. Many stones are broken or have disappeared beneath the ground. Cemetery is fenced but subject to vandalism. Plans are being made to restore it. [ECGS Vol. 1****]

WAKEFIELD CEMETERY (Black)

Located on East Jefferson St. in Waxahachie. Is in use and will be recorded in a later volume of ECGS.

WALNUT SPRINGS CEMETERY (Black)

Located east of Ferris on FM 780, corner Hall Rd. & FM 780. Cemetery is on left, is badly deteriorated and unless restored, will be completely gone in a few years. Many markers either missing or have disappeared beneath the ground.Oldest marker recorded several years ago when last listing made was 1896. It is no longer accessible' and a difficult walk to reach it. It will be listed as read. [ECGS Vol. 3****]

WALTER HEINE FARM (Apperson Family Cemetery)

Located .8 miles east of Waxahachie on Howard Road at intersection of Hwy 77 and Howard Rd. On private property but not maintained. Oldest burial is 1852. [ECGS Vol 3****]

WATSON CEMETERY

Located east of Italy just off Hwy 34 on left side of rd 1.5 miles from Italy City Limits. Fenced and stones have been restored. Private property - need to obtain permission to enter.  Buried here: Richard Price Watson, b. Va. 1792; d. here Feb. 11, 1860; [father of Col. B. W. F. Watson] serv 63rd Cavalry Regt. Virginia Militia; only other known burial is his wife, Margaret R. Overstreet Watson, although it is believed that other family members are there in unmarked graves.  According to the June 1999 issue of the Ellis County Historical Commission Newsletter, the Watson Family Cemetery has beeen designated an Official Historic Texas Cemetery [Sylvia Smith]

WAXAHACHIE CITY CEMETERY

Located west of courthouse on Main St Go too Hawkins St., and left to cemetery. Historic Marker. [ECGS Vol. 5]****

WEST SIDE MEMORIAL PARK CEMETERY (Black)

From Ferris, past the post office and turn right on Ewing Road 1/4 miles to Ferris Road; turn right and cemetery is on immediate right.  ECGS Vol. 11 ****.

WHITFIELD CEMETERY

Located 6 mi SW Maypearl on Old Whitfield farm. Turn left off Hwy 66 on FM Rd 308 to Pluto Rd., then right to Berry's Chapel. Cemetery is located on left side of Berry;s Chapel on private property. Need permission to enter. Oldest burial is 1899. {ECGS Vol. 4] ****

WILLIAMS CEMETERY

Located west of Italy, just off Bell branch Rd. [Note: The McCulloch, McCulloch-Witten and the Williams cemeteries are the same. Vol. 1****]

Copyright © 2001 - 2005 Ellis County TXGenWeb.

All rights reserved.

Home
"