Erath County Churches
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH---STEPHENVILLE
The first Presbyterian church was organized as a “Cumberland Presbyterian”
Church in 1860 by the Rev. J. A Phillips and Rev. . Rev. Phillips was
working as a teacher and soon left for Bell County where he served several
In 1898 the Presbyterian Church was formed. Both the
Cumberland Church and the new Presbyterian church each had a building
and met separately for a while. In 1906, they united to become First
Presbyterian Church of Stephenville. They met in a building which is
still used as” The Chapel on the Bosque” on the Historical Museum grounds.
In 1960.land was donated for a new building at the present Harbin Dr.
spot and the old building was sold to the Baptist Church. They used
it until 1976 when they decided to get rid of it. Stephenville citizens
who were interested in preserving the history of the town bought it
and placed the building on the Museum grounds where it is used for various
functions throughout the year.
The new structure at 1302 Harbin
was enlarged in1993 with an expansion of the kitchen and fellowship
hall plus 4 new classrooms. Plans now include another expansion on adjacent
property purchased in 2006. The present building is used for many activities
by members of the church and of the community.
The church members
are looking forward to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Presbyterian
Church with a number of events in 2010.
Written by Charlene Moser, Chairman of the Anniversary
Submitted by Eloise Horak.
Return to Church
Return to Home
Compilation Copyright 2009 - Present
All Rights Reserved by Linda Blum-Barton
This page was last
updated on -01/01/2013