The purpose of these Eddy area school webpages is to present, through photographs, a visual history of the early schools that existed in both the Eddy and Bruceville areas, from the late 1800's thru the mid 1950's, and to provide the viewer with photos of some of the students, teachers, and faculty that made up the population of these schools. Also represented on these pages, are early photos of the school buildings and adjoining structures that were present at each of these school sites. All of these schools were actually located in McLennan County, Texas, but a large number of the students attending them lived in nearby Falls County.

The effort to locate and document early photos and details about these schools is an ongoing effort and the contents of this page represent a work-in-progress. As in any type of research, it is critical that the information presented is as accurate as possible. With that in mind, I would encourage anyone who has additional information about any or all of the schools identified here, to contact 
Falls County Coordinator at the Falls Co. website. This also applies to any errors that are detected in the material presented on this webpage.-rlh


BEDICHEK ACADEMY

1884 - ca1913

The first school to locate in Eddy was originally called the Eddy Literary & Scientific Institute. Dr. J. M. Bedichek & his wife took over operation of this school in 1890 and changed the name to Bedichek Academy. This school operated as a private institution until around 1913. The school was located in the part of Eddy known as "Hungry Hill", just southeast of downtown Eddy.

(Note: Clicking on a title will open up a new window for viewing the selected entry. When viewing a picture, be sure and scroll thoroughly in all directions to ensure that you have seen all of the photo. Sometimes there are notes on the picture that you may miss otherwise.)

TITLE

DESCRIPTION

CONTRIBUTED BY

Bedichek
Academy

The Bedichek Academy, a private school at Eddy, Falls Co., Texas, was formerly known as the Eddy Literary and Scientific Institute or the Eddy Institute of Literature & Science, until it was taken over by James Madison Bedichek in 1890 and came to be known as Bedichek Academy. Bedichek"s wife & daughter assisted him in operating the school. (from Texas Collection, Baylor University.)

Photo provided by Calvin Whatley

Addtional info. from Ken Gates

Bedichek
Academy

Student Body
ca1900

Group photo of student body of Bedichek Academy, taken around 1900.

Note:
Professor J. M. Bedichek & his wife are shown in lower left of photo.

If you can ID any others in this picture, please let 
Falls County Coordinator know.

Photo provided by Calvin Whatley

Submitted by Robert L. Haddock

Bedichek
Academy

Student List

A listing of Eddy area residents who attended the Bedichek Academy sometime during the period of 1890 - 1913.

Note:
Many of these individuals actually resided in Falls County, Texas but attended school at Bedichek Academy.

Listing provided by Calvin Whatley

Submitted by Robert L. Haddock

Bedichek Academy

School Program
1913

This appears to have been an end of school year program for Bedichek Academy, to be held at the school on May 15-16, 1913. The program lists the names of many of the students attending Bedichek Academy and also contains business ads for some of the local Eddy businesses.

Cover Page
Page 2
Page 3
Back Page

Robert L. Haddock

Ethel Blassingame
and other students
at Bedichek

Student body at Bedichek Academy
Taken abt. 1910 - 1916.

(L - R)

Second Row (from front):


Ethel Blassingame is # 6, has on a white dress, head turned slightly to the left.

Note:
Professor J. M. Bedichek can be seen standing, on right side of photo (gray hair & beard). Mrs. Bedichek is the third person standing against side of school building, on left side of photo.

If you can ID any others in this picture, please let 
Falls County Coordinator know.

Grace Ashley

Bedichek Academy

Former site

This picture, taken by me in 2000, shows the location that once was the site of Bedichek Academy in Eddy, McLennan County, Texas. This former site, located on Hungry Hill, in southeastern part of Eddy, is now a pasture.-rlh

Robert L. Haddock


Home