See the 1988 picture below on this page
Written by Kay Haden
After a year in Grayson County, the Hadens moved to Ben Franklin, then
in Lamar County, now part of Delta County. J. B. first attended school
at Giles, walking the three miles from his home.Like most early schools
there was only one room - it had a puncheon floor, a batten door and a
stick and dirt chimney. In 1869, the family moved east of Ladonia and he
attended the Featherstone school in Ladonia. In 1876, they moved
to Ladonia where he later attended a school taught by Mr. John Clinton.
In 1880, J. B. began clerking in his father's store; in September of that year his father died, leaving him to carry on the business. In 1882 he opened his own general store in Ladonia. On July 4, of 1882, Mr. Haden married Miss Elizabeth Holderness, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Robert Charles Holderness of Hopkins County.
Mr. and Mrs. Haden had four sons:William F. "Will", Robert Charles "Charlie",J. B. Jr. "Joe", and Maurice. The sons were all born in the Oakley Home in Ladonia, built in 1864 and once used to board the students of Featherstone Institute - a home that is now a Texas Historical Medallion home. The parents were always grateful that their sons remained citizens of Ladonia. As the sons grew to maturity they were associated with their father in the dry goods and grocery business in Ladonia. In 1894, J. B. Haden contracted with the craftsmen Martin and Krause to build a home for his family — the Texas Historical Medallion Victorian that still stands on Bonham Street in Ladonia, is surely one of the most graceful homes of its era. Mr. and Mrs. Haden celebrated their 64th wedding anniversary in this home on July 4th, 1946. Mrs. Haden died in 1950; Mr. Haden followed her in death in 1953 after his 93rd birthday. They are buried at Ladonia Cemetery near his parents and other members of the family."
This Photograph is by Stephen C. Mussell