Fannin County TXGenWeb
The Ladonia Historical Preservation Society
Ladonia Cemetery
 
IOOF [Odd Fellows]
The part lying to the north is known as the IOOF or Odd Fellows section. It was under the control of the Odd Fellows lodge during its early existence. The last entry made in the IOOF Cemetery ledger was dated May 9, 1902. Since no further entries are made after this, we believe this to be the year that the IOOF and Presbyterian cemeteries merged. From a field map drawn by William Cummens in 1896, it shows cemetery lots drawn and numbered. It also shows graves marked unknown on the map. The northeast corner of the IOOF cemetery is known as the mexican cemetery. The story is, that a group of mexican farm laborers came to Ladonia to work on the railroad and for harvesting. There were about twenty men. They all developed typhoid fever, died, and were buried there.

Presbyterian [old north section]
The Presbyterian section is to the southeast. There is a small drainage ditch [creek] between this tract and the IOOF. This tract was a gift from John Nail and his wife. For the consideration of the sum of one dollar [$1.00] it was deeded to the elders Daniel S. Redner, Israel D. Maloney, and Elbert Early of the New Hope congregation of The Cumberland Presbyterian church of the town of Ladonia, Texas. The deed stated that the property be held in trust for the said congregation, and they shall cause to be built for the use and benefit of the same church on said lot, a two story structure. The upper story was to be used for public worship, and the lower story was to be used for a school. The school was to be under the control of the boqard of trustees to be appointed by the patrons of the school, also their successors in office. This building was torn down in 1875. The Cumberland Presbyterian church built another church on this same spot in 1876 and continued to worship there until 1909 when it was destroyed. From the historical marker and north to the creek, is the original property deeded by John Nail. On January 15, 1906, the Cumberland Presbyterian, and the Presbyterian U.S.A. merged to become the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. The elders of the Presbyterian Church of the U.S.A. purchased the parcel of land known as the Dan Redner homeplace. It is approximately two acres. They paid eighteen hundred dollars [$1,800.00] to Felix D. Evans, George M. Evans Jr., and Julius Evans. The general warranty deed was acknowledged on April 7, 1907 by P.A. Dredrick, notary public, western district, Indian Territory.

Presbyterian [south]
The present brick church was erected in 1910 at this, its present location. The elders of the church at the time were, Neal T. Scott, J.E. Fuller, and J.C. Wise. The general warranty deed was acknowledged on April 18, 1907. On June 10, 1956, a committee was appointed by the Presbyterian Church to make necessary repairs to the church building. The members of this committee were, Mrs. Joe Fooshie, Mrs. Elmer Fuller, Carl Jordan, and James E. Fuller. Mr. Arthur Bradshaw staked off cemetery lots and sold them to pay for the needed repairs. This tract included property from the last section used for graves up to the church lot. In 1975 due to declining membership, the congregation became inactive. On June 29, 1975 a task force representing Grace Presbytery met with six members of the Ladonia First Presbyterian church and requested to dissolve the congregation, and transfer of the cemetery to the Ladonia Cemetery Association, retaining the name " Presbyterian Cemetery". The Presbytery of Trinity of the United Presbyterian Church U.S.A.,for, and in consideration of the sum of ten dollars [$10.00], and other valuable consideration have granted, sold, and conveyed unto the Ladonia Cemetery Association the real property in Fannin Couty, Texas. It is to have and hold premises unto grantee, its sucessors and assign forever. This deed was recorded on July 13, 1976.

McFarland
A certain parcel of land situated in the City of Ladonia was sold to the trustees of the Ladonia Cemetery Association and their successors in office. It was sold for four thousand dollars [$4,000.00] by Joe B. Prew, Barris L. Hale, and Anna Lou Rochester. These are descendants of John L. Bishop and his wife Jane Bishop Moore. This purchase was recorded on May 30, 1980. The Ladonia Cemetery Association took out a loan to purchase this property. Miss Ethel McFarland was in a nursing home at the time and was told of the land acquistion by her lawyer, Choice Moore. Miss Ethel paid the entire amount just 45 days after the Ladonia Cemetery Association took out that loan and this section was named for her generosity.




 

© 2005
Email Any Additions or suggestions

  Fannin Home page