Ladonia Historical Preservation Society
by Debby Crofford
transcript of this article below
Bricks and Buildings in Ladonia
We are seeing some of the early brick walk come
tumbling down. The Bill Burns building on the east side of the square is
in the process of being demolished.
From our records , the ones still standing were
erected in the 1880's. The first one was on the west side of the square
in about 1860. After the great fire on September 30, 1896, which destroyed
much of the west side of the square. It was proof that brick was the ideal
With a building boom, it was evident that more
and more bricks would be needed to provide for the steady influx of the
many citizens seeking a new home.
Joseph Lowry Boyd was a brick mason and made
bricks fired in kiln. One kiln was located on the embankment of the Boyd
Creek and two more were on the southwest corner of what is now Bishop Football
Field. Many of the chimneys and buildings are still standing today. The
Joe Haden home near the school is one of them with bricks made by Joseph
Through the years, Joseph Lowry and other members
of the Boyd family have been and still are a ritual part of Ladonia.
Information about Boyd family contributed by
Any Additions or suggestions
Fannin Home page