Descendants of Juan DeTafoya Altamirano
Generation No. 1
1. JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO was born 1640 in El Real de Talpujagua, Mexico. He married FELIPA DE ULLOA JAGUADA in Ciudad de Mexico, Mexico. She was born 1645 in El Real de Talpujagua, Mexico.
Children of JUAN ALTAMIRANO and FELIPA JAGUADA are:
2. i. JUAN2 TAFOYA, b. El Real de Talpujagua, Mexico; d. Santa Fe.
3. ii. CRISTOBAL TAFOYA, b. 1661, El Real de Talpujagua, Nueva Espana (Mexico).
4. iii. ANTONIO TAFOYA, b. 1679, El Real de Talpujagua, Nueva Espana (Mexico); d. February 17, 1753, Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico.
Generation No. 2
2. JUAN2 TAFOYA (JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born in El Real de Talpujagua, Mexico, and died in Santa Fe. He married JOSEFA PACHECO. She died Abt. 1707.
Child of JUAN TAFOYA and JOSEFA PACHECO is:
i. CRISTOBAL3 TAFOYA, m. MARIA MARGARITA TRUJILLO, July 10, 1719, Santa Cruz de la Canada, New Mexico.
3. CRISTOBAL2 TAFOYA (JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born 1661 in El Real de Talpujagua, Nueva Espana (Mexico). He married (1) ISABEL DE HERRERA 1698, daughter of JUAN DE HERRERA and ANA DEL CASTILLO. He married (2) MARIA TRUJILLO June 23, 1719 in Santa Cruz, New Mexico, daughter of JOSE TRUJILLO and ANTONIA LUJAN.
More About MARIA TRUJILLO:
Fact 1: Daughter of Capt Jose Trujillo and Antonia Lujan. N.M. Roots Ltd. Chavez Vol 10
Fact 2: p 1924
Children of CRISTOBAL TAFOYA and ISABEL DE HERRERA are:
i. JUAN3 TAFOYA, b. 1694; m. ANTONIA GONZALEZ BAS, 1716.
ii. ANTONIO TAFOYA, b. May 16, 1700, San Ildefonso, New Mexico; d. 1743, San Juan de los Caballeros, New Mexico; m. PRUDENCIA GONZALES BAS, August 10, 1722.
iii. TERESA TAFOYA, m. MANUEL MESTAS.
Children of CRISTOBAL TAFOYA and MARIA TRUJILLO are:
iv. ANTONIA TAFOYA3 JARAMILLA.
v. GERTRUDIS TAFOYA RUIZ.
4. ANTONIO2 TAFOYA (JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born 1679 in El Real de Talpujagua, Nueva Espana (Mexico), and died February 17, 1753 in Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico. He married (1) MAGDALENA. He married (2) MARIA LUISA GODINES April 28, 1697, daughter of ANTONIO GODINES and MARIANA ZUNIGA. She was born 1680 in Mexico City, Nueva Espana, and died September 15, 1747 in Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico.
Notes for ANTONIO TAFOYA:
On a trip north from Guadalupe del Paso, he carried the dues of the Conquistadora Confraternity to Santa Fe.
Notes for MARIA LUISA GODINES:
She had a round face, a large forehead, and big eyes.
Children of ANTONIO TAFOYA and MARIA GODINES are:
i. CRISTOBAL3 TAFOYA, m. MARGARITA TRUJILLO.
5. ii. LUGARDA TAFOYA, b. 1700; d. August 22, 1789, Santa Cruz de la Canada.
iii. JUANA TAFOYA, b. 1703; d. 1746; m. AGUSTIN LOBATO.
iv. MARIA ROSA TAFOYA, b. 1705; m. (1) JOSE FRANCO MOLLA; b. 1736; m. (2) DIEGO VASQUEZ BORREGO.
6. v. PHELIPE TAFOYA, b. 1707, Santa Fe, New Mexico; d. May 31, 1771, Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico.
Generation No. 3
5. LUGARDA3 TAFOYA (ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born 1700, and died August 22, 1789 in Santa Cruz de la Canada. She married JUAN SAYAGO (GONZALEZ). He was born 1689.
Notes for LUGARDA TAFOYA:
Lugarda was married, but her children all took Tafoya as their last name. She was a well-to-do person who in later life made it a practice to take abandoned orphaned Indian babies and baptize them. She gave them all the last name of Tafoya! Their first name was always an Indian name.
Child of LUGARDA TAFOYA and JUAN (GONZALEZ) is:
7. i. PEDRO4 TAFOYA, d. 1790.
6. PHELIPE3 TAFOYA (ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born 1707 in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and died May 31, 1771 in Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico. He married (1) MARGARITA SAYAGO (GONZALEZ) DE LA ROSA 1728 in Santa Fe, New Mexico, daughter of DIEGO (ARROYO) and TERESA DE MENDOZA. He married (2) TERESA FERNANDEZ DE LA PEDRERA 1750 in Santa Fe, New Mexico, daughter of JUAN DE LA PEDRERA and MARIA DE GRACIA. She was born Abt. 1722.
Notes for PHELIPE TAFOYA:
Phelipe was a military officer, a doctor and a lawyer. He was elected mayor of Santa Fe in about 1750. Also, was the Lieutenant General of the Kingdom of New Mexico. He was a charter officer of the Confraternity of Our Lady of Light, an organization that exists to this date in Santa Fe.
More About PHELIPE TAFOYA:
Elected: 1750, Mayor of Santa Fe
Children of PHELIPE TAFOYA and MARGARITA DE LA ROSA are:
i. JOSEPH MARTIN4 TAFOYA.
ii. ANTONIO TAFOYA, b. 1728.
More About ANTONIO TAFOYA:
Fact 1: Died at birth
iii. MARIA BIBIANA TAFOYA, b. 1729; d. 1729.
More About MARIA BIBIANA TAFOYA:
Fact 1: Died at birth
iv. ISABEL TAFOYA, b. 1730; d. 1757; m. NICOLAS LAIN; d. September 09, 1843.
v. GERTRUDES TAFOYA, b. 1733; d. 1740.
vi. MARIA JOSEPHA TAFOYA, b. 1735.
More About MARIA JOSEPHA TAFOYA:
Fact 1: Died as child
Children of PHELIPE TAFOYA and TERESA DE LA PEDRERA are:
8. vii. JOSEPH MIGUEL4 TAFOYA, b. Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico (New Mexico).
9. viii. MARIA FELIPA TAFOYA, b. May 01, 1752; d. April 09, 1782.
ix. MARIA MANUELA (ANTONIA) TAFOYA, b. June 20, 1754.
10. x. MARIA JOSEPHA TAFOYA, b. March 30, 1756; d. Abt. 1785.
xi. MARIA FRANCISCA TAFOYA, b. January 09, 1759.
xii. ANTONIO JOSE TAFOYA, b. February 09, 1761.
Generation No. 4
7. PEDRO4 TAFOYA (LUGARDA3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) died 1790. He married MARIA AGUSTINA SILVA.
Children of PEDRO TAFOYA and MARIA SILVA are:
i. TERESA5 TAFOYA, m. BERNARDO PADILLA.
ii. JUAN TAFOYA, b. 1778; m. MARIA DOLORES GONZALES, March 10, 1823, Socorro, New Mexico.
iii. ANSELMO TAFOYA, b. 1792.
8. JOSEPH MIGUEL4 TAFOYA (PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born in Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico (New Mexico). He married MARIA MANUELA OLGUIN.
Children of JOSEPH TAFOYA and MARIA OLGUIN are:
11. i. MIGUEL ANTONIO5 TAFOYA, d. May 03, 1847, San Miguel del Bado, New Mexico.
12. ii. JOSE TOMAS TAFOYA.
iii. GUADALUPE TAFOYA.
iv. FEMALE TAFOYA.
v. MARIA MANUELA TAFOYA, b. June 06, 1771.
vi. MARIA FRANCISCA TAFOYA, b. October 08, 1774.
vii. JOSE MIGUEL TAFOYA, b. October 01, 1776.
13. viii. JOSE MARIANO TAFOYA, b. August 04, 1778, Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico (New Mexico); d. 1840, Galisteo, Nuevo Mexico.
9. MARIA FELIPA4 TAFOYA (PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born May 01, 1752, and died April 09, 1782. She married ANACLETO MIERA May 29, 1768. He was born 1742 in Chihuahua, Mexico, and died 1815.
Children of MARIA TAFOYA and ANACLETO MIERA are:
i. MARIA JOSEPHA5 MIERA, b. September 12, 1769.
ii. FRANCISCO XAVIER MIERA, b. February 19, 1772.
iii. TERESA ROSALIA MIERA, b. November 08, 1773.
iv. BRUNO MIERA, b. 1774.
v. MARIA DE LAS NIEVES MIERA, b. August 06, 1776.
10. MARIA JOSEPHA4 TAFOYA (PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born March 30, 1756, and died Abt. 1785. She married JOAQUIN LAIN HERREROS September 25, 1768. He was born 1742 in Santa Cruz, (Castilla La Vieja) Spain, and died 1799 in Nuevo Mexico.
Children of MARIA TAFOYA and JOAQUIN HERREROS are:
i. MARIA ANTONIA5 HERREROS, b. January 06, 1774.
ii. JOSE AGATON HERREROS, b. January 12, 1776.
iii. ANA MARIA LUCIANA HERREROS, b. January 12, 1780.
Generation No. 5
11. MIGUEL ANTONIO5 TAFOYA (JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) died May 03, 1847 in San Miguel del Bado, New Mexico. He married MARIA ENCARNATION BACA June 14, 1801 in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Children of MIGUEL TAFOYA and MARIA BACA are:
i. JUANA MANUELA6 TAFOYA, b. June 22, 1802.
ii. MARIA DE LA CONCEPCION TAFOYA, b. August 14, 1804.
iii. MARIA FRANCESCA TAFOYA, b. October 10, 1807.
iv. JOSE MARIA TAFOYA, b. September 07, 1810.
v. JUAN YGNACIO DE JESUS TAFOYA, b. March 06, 1812.
vi. MARIA DEL ROSARIO TAFOYA, b. March 06, 1812.
vii. MARIA DOLORES DEL REFUGIO TAFOYA, b. July 11, 1814.
viii. JUAN NEPOMUCENO TAFOYA, b. October 11, 1816.
ix. MARIA FRANCISCA TAFOYA, b. December 04, 1817.
14. x. JOSE DEMETRIO TAFOYA, b. December 24, 1820.
xi. JOSE VICENTE TAFOYA, b. October 25, 1827.
12. JOSE TOMAS5 TAFOYA (JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) He married MARIA ROSA GONZALEZ.
Children of JOSE TAFOYA and MARIA GONZALEZ are:
i. MARIA DE ALTA GRACIA6 TAFOYA, b. July 07, 1818.
ii. JOSE MIGUEL TAFOYA, b. September 15, 1820.
iii. JOSE ANDRES, b. November 11, 1827.
13. JOSE MARIANO5 TAFOYA (JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born August 04, 1778 in Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico (New Mexico), and died 1840 in Galisteo, Nuevo Mexico. He married JOSEFA GUTIERREZ July 27, 1801 in Santa Fe, New Mexico. She died April 1850 in Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico.
Notes for JOSE MARIANO TAFOYA:
Jose Mariano Tafoya was a Mexican army major. He was carrying gold from Mexico City to Santa Fe in 1843 to pay the army personnel stationed there. Just outside of Galisteo, New Mexico the convoy was ambused and all the gold was lost. Jose Mariano was the only casualty; he was shot with an arrow right through his heart. Army personnel were armed with bows and arrows at that time; there was speculation that he may have been killed by his own troops because of the nature of his cargo, which was not recovered. Source: Santiago Tafolla
Children of JOSE TAFOYA and JOSEFA GUTIERREZ are:
15. i. LORENZO6 TAFOYA, b. 1801.
16. ii. RAFAEL TAFOYA, b. 1806; d. October 22, 1849, Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico.
iii. ROSARIO TAFOYA, b. 1808.
iv. REYES TAFOYA, b. 1810.
More About REYES TAFOYA:
Census: Is listed in census as part of this family. Santiago does not mention this person in his memoirs although other brothers and sisters are mentioned.
17. v. JUANA DOLORES TAFOYA, b. 1812.
vi. MARIA DE LA CRUZ TAFOYA, b. 1814.
vii. ASCENCION TAFOYA, b. 1816.
viii. REFUGIA TAFOYA, b. 1822.
18. ix. SANTIAGO TAFOLLA, b. July 23, 1837, /Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico (New Mexico); d. October 29, 1911, /Seguin, Texas.
Generation No. 6
14. JOSE DEMETRIO6 TAFOYA (MIGUEL ANTONIO5, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born December 24, 1820. He married PELEGRINA SEGURA.
Child of JOSE TAFOYA and PELEGRINA SEGURA is:
19. i. JOSE LUIZ7 TAFOYA.
15. LORENZO6 TAFOYA (JOSE MARIANO5, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born 1801. He married SANTA MARIA RAEL. She was born 1806.
Children of LORENZO TAFOYA and SANTA RAEL are:
i. ANA MARIA7 TAFOYA, b. 1822.
ii. JOSE CELSO AGAPITO TAFOYA, b. April 13, 1834.
iii. MARIA TAFOYA, b. October 10, 1837.
iv. MARIA TRINIDAD TAFOYA, b. May 19, 1839.
v. JESUS MARIA TAFOYA, b. 1840.
vi. CASARIA TAFOYA, b. 1841.
vii. POLAS TAFOYA, b. 1844.
viii. MANUELA TAFOYA, b. 1848.
ix. ATANASIA TAFOYA, b. 1849.
16. RAFAEL6 TAFOYA (JOSE MARIANO5, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born 1806, and died October 22, 1849 in Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico. He married (1) RAFAELA MARTIN. She was born 1820. He married (2) VICENTA BARELAS.
Children of RAFAEL TAFOYA and RAFAELA MARTIN are:
i. MARIA PATRICIA7 TAFOYA, b. 1837.
ii. MARIA ANDREA TAFOYA, b. 1843.
17. JUANA DOLORES6 TAFOYA (JOSE MARIANO5, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born 1812.
Child of JUANA DOLORES TAFOYA is:
i. MARIA EULALIA7 TAFOYA, b. January 02, 1834.
18. SANTIAGO6 TAFOLLA (JOSE MARIANO5 TAFOYA, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born July 23, 1837 in /Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico (New Mexico), and died October 29, 1911 in /Seguin, Texas. He married (1) CATARINA JUANITA TORRES June 21, 1860 in San Antonio, Texas. She died February 1868 in Comfort, Texas. He married (2) ANASTASIA SALINAS June 11, 1869 in /San Antonio, Texas, daughter of MARTIN SALINAS and JOSEFA DE ABREGO. She was born 1840 in /Mexico, and died in /Pearsall, Texas.
Notes for SANTIAGO TAFOLLA:
Ran away from his Santa Fe home when twelve or thirteen years old by hopping aboard a wagon train headed East along the Santa Fe Trail. Eventually joined US Army's Second Cavalry as a bugler while living in Washington, DC, where he had gone when he ran away from home. Was assigned to Camp Verde in Bandera, Texas in 1855 as a cavalry bugler. Served with Robert E. Lee and William Sydney Johnston, both of Civil War fame. Was discharged on April 1, 1860. Remained in Bandera and bought a ranch. In 1862, joined the Texas 33rd Cavalry under the Confederate banner, also as a bugler. Returned to Bandera after the war and took up farming, was a traveling salesman and generally worked at whatever he could make a living at. Was a Mason and once when a priest asked him to tell him about the activities of the Masons in the area, he refused. Later, when the priest asked him to tell him the same thing from the confession booth, he again refused and was ex-communicated from the Catholic Church. He had traveled to Georgia when he lived in Washington, DC, and while in Georgia had attended a Methodist sponsored school for boys. When the priest threw him out of the Catholic Church, he went back to the Methodist Church. He began preaching the Word of God and soon caught the attention of the Methodist Bishop for South Texas. Was ordained as a Methodist preacher, one of the first half dozen Hispanic Methodist preachers in the US. He died at age 75 while preaching in church one Sunday morning on October 29, 1911 in Seguin, Texas. By that time he had established Methodist Churches from San Marcos, Texas to Monterrey, Mexico.
More About SANTIAGO TAFOLLA:
Fact 1: 1851, Ran away from Santa Fe
Notes for ANASTASIA SALINAS:
Widow of Corporal Juan Mercado, Texas 33rd Cavalry, Confederate Army.
Children of SANTIAGO TAFOLLA and CATARINA TORRES are:
20. i. CATARINA7 TAFOLLA.
21. ii. MOLLY TAFOLLA.
22. iii. PETE TAFOLLA, b. 1864.
23. iv. JUANITA TAFOLLA, b. 1866.
24. v. SANTANA TAFOLLA, b. February 1868.
Children of SANTIAGO TAFOLLA and ANASTASIA SALINAS are:
25. vi. LOTT7 TAFOLLA, b. 1869.
26. vii. GABRIEL DIMAS TAFOLLA, b. March 25, 1870; d. January 01, 1945, Pearsall, Texas.
27. viii. ERNEST TAFOLLA, b. 1871.
28. ix. SANTIAGO TAFOLLA, b. 1872, Texas.
29. x. MARIANO TAFOLLA, b. Abt. 1874, Texas.
xi. ANASTASIA (ANITA) TAFOLLA, b. 1877; m. LALO MEJIA.
Generation No. 7
19. JOSE LUIZ7 TAFOYA (JOSE DEMETRIO6, MIGUEL ANTONIO5, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) He married CONRADA GALLEGOS.
Child of JOSE TAFOYA and CONRADA GALLEGOS is:
i. JOSE SERAPIO8 TAFOYA, m. SENAIDA SANCHEZ.
20. CATARINA7 TAFOLLA (SANTIAGO6, JOSE MARIANO5 TAFOYA, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) She married CATARINO REYES.
Children of CATARINA TAFOLLA and CATARINO REYES are:
i. RUBEN8 REYES.
ii. MARIA INEZ REYES, m. FELIPE GONZALES.
21. MOLLY7 TAFOLLA (SANTIAGO6, JOSE MARIANO5 TAFOYA, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) She married RAYMOND MENDEZ.
Children of MOLLY TAFOLLA and RAYMOND MENDEZ are:
i. CARLOTTA8 MENDEZ, m. GABRIEL J. VALDEZ.
ii. JOHN MENDEZ.
iii. GEORGE MENDEZ, m. CARMEN ENRIQUEZ.
22. PETE7 TAFOLLA (SANTIAGO6, JOSE MARIANO5 TAFOYA, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born 1864. He married (1) ANITA. He married (2) LOCARIA TORRES.
Notes for PETE TAFOLLA:
Rode broncs under the name of Bronco Pete for Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. Won event in Madison Square Garden while facing his horse backwards "cause anybody should be able to ride them facing forwards." Rode on cattle drives up the Chisolm Trail. Later served as a mounted policeman in San Antonio. Although it is known that Buffalo Bill's Show performed before royalty in England, it can only be assumed that Pete was there. Buffalo Bill was not one to give credit to any individual performers. The show bulletins only refer to the "indians and the mexicans."
More About PETE TAFOLLA:
Fact 1: Bronco Pete on Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show.
Fact 2: Rode bucking broncs sitting backwards
Fact 3: Rode on Chisolm Trail
Fact 4: San Antonio policeman on horse
Child of PETE TAFOLLA and ANITA is:
i. ANITA8 TAFOLLA, m. JOSE TORRES.
Children of PETE TAFOLLA and LOCARIA TORRES are:
ii. MOSES8 TAFOLLA.
iii. AURORA TAFOLLA.
iv. FRANCES TAFOLLA.
v. PETE TAFOLLA.
23. JUANITA7 TAFOLLA (SANTIAGO6, JOSE MARIANO5 TAFOYA, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born 1866. She married UNKNOWN CADENA.
Child of JUANITA TAFOLLA and UNKNOWN CADENA is:
i. FILBERT8 CADENA.
24. SANTANA7 TAFOLLA (SANTIAGO6, JOSE MARIANO5 TAFOYA, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born February 1868. He married TEOFILA UNKNOWN.
Notes for SANTANA TAFOLLA:
Died after being gored by a bull.
Children of SANTANA TAFOLLA and TEOFILA UNKNOWN are:
i. ALFREDO8 TAFOLLA.
ii. CONSUELO TAFOLLA.
iii. HUMBERTO TAFOLLA, b. October 15, 1904; d. January 28, 1975; m. NETTIE M. AMBRIZ.
iv. CARLOS TAFOLLA, b. September 12, 1906; d. April 04, 1996, San Antonio, Texas; m. MARIA CUELLAR.
25. LOTT7 TAFOLLA (SANTIAGO6, JOSE MARIANO5 TAFOYA, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born 1869.
Children of LOTT TAFOLLA are:
i. BERTHA8 TAFOLLA.
ii. LOTT TAFOLLA, b. June 16, 1903; d. August 1974, Houston, Texas; m. JUANITA UNKNOWN.
26. GABRIEL DIMAS7 TAFOLLA (SANTIAGO6, JOSE MARIANO5 TAFOYA, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born March 25, 1870, and died January 01, 1945 in Pearsall, Texas. He married ANTONIA MANCHA, daughter of JOSE MANCHA and FELICIANA RODRIGUEZ. She was born April 05, 1876 in Uvalde, Texas, and died August 08, 1914 in Pearsall, Texas.
Notes for GABRIEL DIMAS TAFOLLA:
Was teaching English to local hispanics in Uvalde, Texas at the age of 16. Later taught school in Buda and Roma, Texas as well. Worked as a bookkeeper for a lumber yard in Monterrey, Mexico just before the turn of the century when his father, Santiago, was assigned as a Methodist preacher there. At least one of Gabriel's kids was born in Monterrey. He returned to Frio Town, Texas and worked as a farmer. He moved to Pearsall, Texas and worked as an interpreter for the courts in Frio County. I remember that he had an office in his house and would counsel with the hispanic population on every matter that they felt they needed help on. Was reputed to be one of only two men in Pearsall who owned a store bought suit; the other man so identified was the local banker. Was a charter member and president of the Pearsall chapter of the Order of the Sons of America, an organization that later merged with another civil rights group representing Hispanics in South Texas. The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) was the result of this merger.
More About GABRIEL DIMAS TAFOLLA:
Fact 1: Was first Hispanic school teacher in Uvalde, Texas. Later taught school in Buda
Fact 2: Texas, and in Roma, Texas. Later was a farmer, and very late in his life was a
Fact 3: translator for the county court house in Pearsall, Texas.
Notes for ANTONIA MANCHA:
Family records indicate that Antonia Mancha was born in Uvalde. St Louis Baptismal Records, Vol I, page 269A, #1400, in Castroville, Texas, state that she was baptized in May 1876 as "Maria Antonia de Carmel Mancha, born on April 5, 1876, daughter of Jose Mancha and his wife Maria Feliciana Rodriguez." Sponsors were Jose Jimenes and P. Richard.
More About ANTONIA MANCHA:
Fact 1: May 13, 1876, Page 269A, #1400, St Louis Baptismal Records, Vol 1, Castroville, Texas.
Children of GABRIEL TAFOLLA and ANTONIA MANCHA are:
i. MARIA8 TAFOLLA, b. November 12, 1894, Eagle Pass, Texas; d. March 02, 1987, Uvalde, Texas; m. (1) UNKNOWN PEREZ; m. (2) ISIDRO CASTRO.
ii. LYDIA ODESSA TAFOLLA, b. February 09, 1896, San Marcos, Texas; d. April 15, 1918, Pearsall, Texas.
iii. GABRIEL TAFOLLA, JR, b. August 09, 1897, Uvalde, Texas; d. September 03, 1940, San Antonio, Texas; m. OLIVIA GOMEZ, January 29, 1917, La Salle County, Texas; b. September 14, 1897, Texas; d. April 1981, San Diego, California.
iv. ALMA TAFOLLA, b. June 05, 1899, Monterrey, Mexico; d. May 01, 1954, Uvalde, Texas; m. TEOFILO CHARLES; b. January 08, 1900; d. July 24, 1958, Uvalde, Texas.
v. FELICE TAFOLLA, b. February 06, 1901, Uvalde, Texas; d. September 21, 1928, San Antonio, Texas; m. (1) WILLAM STANSELL; m. (2) ONOFRE HILL; b. April 07, 1899; d. January 25, 1982, Bartlesville, Ok.
vi. JIMMY (SANTIAGO) TAFOLLA, b. January 11, 1903, Frio Town, Texas; d. February 01, 1931, Pearsall, Texas; m. SANTOS GONZALES, December 14, 1925, Pearsall, Texas Catholic Church; b. January 04, 1907; d. January 10, 1976, Pearsall, Texas.
Notes for JIMMY (SANTIAGO) TAFOLLA:
Died following an accident in a ranch. He was burning prickly pear for cattle to eat when the fuel tank strapped to his back exploded.
More About JIMMY (SANTIAGO) TAFOLLA:
Fact 1: Was operating a cactus pear burner (Strapped to his back.) when it exploded and
Fact 2: killed him.
vii. JUAN MANUEL TAFOLLA, b. September 18, 1904, San Antonio, Texas; d. March 28, 1996, Pearsall, Texas; m. JUANITA JUAREZ, March 20, 1925, Pearsall, Texas; b. February 08, 1909, Devine, Texas; d. January 12, 1988, Pearsall, Texas.
Notes for JUAN MANUEL TAFOLLA:
Was born in San Antonio and lived there off and on until his teens. Attended school at Bowie Elementary School in San Antonio and also at Holden Institute, a private school for "middle class Mexican-Americans" in Laredo, Texas. Worked in cattle ranches as a cowboy until his late forties. Moved to Pearsall and went to work for the Frio County road construction offices. Retired from there after having experienced a heart attack when 65 years old. Later, returned to work for Frio County supervising prisoners from the county jail and after that as a paid caretaker for the historical society in the building that had formerly been used as a Frio County jail. Died when he was 91 years old. Was an outstanding singer. While visiting him in a nursing home, a preacher new to town asked him which was his favorite hymn. The preacher took his song book and sang the first stanza for him, telling him, "That is how that goes." Manuel sang the rest of the hymn without the aid of the book and said, "No, this is how it goes!" The same preacher presided at his funeral and related that story to the mourners. Two nights before he died in the hospital, a niece came to tell him that she had lost an election that had been very important to her. From behind the closed door to his room, nurses and patients alike could hear his strong melodious voice as he sang a love song to his niece, "to cheer her up." Approximately 66 inches tall, weighed about 150 pounds.
More About JUAN MANUEL TAFOLLA:
Fact 1: Worked as a cowboy from time he was a teenager until age 45. Worked as heavy
Fact 2: equipment operator and foreman for Frio County until he was 65. Was an
Fact 3: outstanding singer of Mexican "corridos" and a storyteller of some reknown.
Notes for JUANITA JUAREZ:
Her mother and father operated a meat market in Devine, Texas at one time. As far as I know, she never attended school. Did not speak English but, since all her children were completely bilingual, it was obvious that she understood it very well. Was a diabetic all of her adult life. Counselled all her friends similarly afflicted on the proper way to live with this disease. Was an outstanding cook, keeping all the recipes in her head since she could not read English or Spanish. A great negotiator, could barter anything with anyone. Usually came out ahead.
viii. CARMEN TAFOLLA, b. January 18, 1907, Buda, Texas; d. November 06, 1948, Pearsall, Texas; m. SANTANA VILLAREAL.
ix. SANTANA TAFOLLA, b. August 09, 1908, Pearsall, Texas; d. June 28, 1977, Uvalde, Texas; m. MARIA MARTINEZ, September 17, 1930, Pearsall, Texas Catholic Church; b. November 25, 1911; d. January 18, 1985, Uvalde, Texas.
Notes for SANTANA TAFOLLA:
Owned and operated an automobile repair shop in Uvalde. Specialized in Buicks, often saying that there was no better automobile. Liked to sing and play the banjo. Was elected and served as a judge in Uvalde.
More About SANTANA TAFOLLA:
Fact 1: Operated a Buick repair garage in Uvalde for most of his life. Loved to play
Fact 2: the banjo.
x. BEATRICE TAFOLLA, b. October 10, 1910, Uvalde, Texas; d. June 29, 1987, Corpus Christi , Texas; m. (1) SANTIAGO GARZA; m. (2) MARCELINO VIESCA; b. June 02, 1911; d. January 04, 1972, Pearsall, Texas; m. (3) FIDEL VIESCA.
More About BEATRICE TAFOLLA:
Fact 1: Operated a laundry from her home. Would take in washing and ironing. She had a
Fact 2: large iron kettle in which she heated water over a fire. She added soap to the
Fact 3: water and then placed the clothes in the kettle. She used a stick to stir the
Fact 4: clothes. Her clothes lines extended all across the back of her yard.
Fact 5: Still, she had time to prepare noon meals for her kids and their cousins who
Fact 6: regularly ate their noon meals there while attending school.
More About MARCELINO VIESCA:
Burial: January 06, 1972, Pearsall, Texas (Vet Cem)
xi. ERNEST TAFOLLA, b. February 03, 1912, Frio Town, Texas; d. April 03, 1978, Uvalde, Texas; m. (1) FRANCISCA CARDENAS, February 22, 1932, Pearsall, Texas; m. (2) OFELIA PEREZ, February 08, 1942, Pearsall, Texas.
Notes for ERNEST TAFOLLA:
Served in WW II in the Army Air Corps. Returned to Uvalde and worked in his brother's (Santana) auto repair shop.
More About ERNEST TAFOLLA:
Fact 1: Worked in the Buick repair garage operated by his brother Santana. Was the only
Fact 2: off-spring of Gabriel Dimas Tafolla to have served in the U.S. military.
xii. MARION TAFOLLA, b. February 21, 1913, Frio Town, Texas; d. December 25, 1960, Pearsall, Texas; m. CARLOTA ESTELLA SUAREZ, September 30, 1934, Pearsall, Texas; b. November 09, 1915.
Notes for MARION TAFOLLA:
Early in his life, worked in a bakery in Asherton, Texas. Later went to work for Kemper's Grocery Store in Pearsall where he worked the rest of his life. Was a great dancer. Also, enjoyed walking the rails of the railroad line going through Pearsall as he walked from his home to work. Many times I saw him walk a distance of approximately 1/4 mile without losing his balance, all the time having a big smile on his face, obviously having the greatest time.
More About MARION TAFOLLA:
Fact 1: Worked as a baker while a very young man. Later worked for Kemper Grocery store
Fact 2: in Pearsall, Texas. Would receive grocery orders over the telephone, pick the
Fact 3: items and load them onto a pick-up truck. He would then dispatch a driver to
Fact 4: deliver them to the caller, often placing them into the kitchen pantry. Died
Fact 5: of a heart attack while a very young man.
27. ERNEST7 TAFOLLA (SANTIAGO6, JOSE MARIANO5 TAFOYA, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born 1871. He married ESTHER COLIN 1896 in San Antonio, Texas.
Children of ERNEST TAFOLLA and ESTHER COLIN are:
i. ESTHER8 TAFOLLA.
ii. ERNEST TAFOLLA, m. UNKNOWN.
28. SANTIAGO7 TAFOLLA (SANTIAGO6, JOSE MARIANO5 TAFOYA, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born 1872 in Texas. He married MICAELA LA FUENTE. She was born 1877 in Mexico.
Notes for SANTIAGO TAFOLLA:
1920 census shows James at age 48 working as a Deputy for the District Court. Was a charter member of the San Antonio chapter of the Order of the Sons of America, a civil rights group representing Hispanics in South Texas. It later merged with another group and the end result was the present day League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC).
Notes for MICAELA LA FUENTE:
1920 census shows Micaela at age 43; entered country in 1880; working as teacher in YWCA. Naturalized in 1897.
Children of SANTIAGO TAFOLLA and MICAELA LA FUENTE are:
i. JAMES8 TAFOLLA, b. August 31, 1898, Mexico; d. October 28, 1966, San Antonio, Texas; m. ELOISE (DIDI) EVA BARAJAS; b. 1905; d. May 12, 1997, Irving, Texas.
Notes for JAMES TAFOLLA:
Attorney in San Antonio. Charter member of League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC), 33rd degree Mason, Judge in Corporation Court for Bexar County, San Antonio, Texas. 1920 census shows James entered US in 1900; was working as a chauffer for Service Car. In August 2, 1935 he was appointed as a Special Ranger in the Ranger Force for the State of Texas.
More About JAMES TAFOLLA:
Fact 1: An attorney. Was assistant district attorney for Bexar County and later a judge
Fact 2: in Corporation Court. Was a charter member of LULAC, a 33rd Degree Mason and a
Fact 3: member of the Charros Association.
ii. JOHNNY TAFOLLA, b. 1899, Texas; m. EVELYN DE LA PENA.
Notes for JOHNNY TAFOLLA:
1920 shows John working as a clerk in the City Clerk's office in San Antonio.
iii. OSCAR TAFOLLA, b. May 06, 1901, Mexico; d. March 05, 1981, San Antonio, Texas; m. HELEN UNKNOWN; d. March 30, 1996, San Antonio, Texas.
Notes for OSCAR TAFOLLA:
1920 census shows Oscar entered US in 1905. Was working in San Antonio as a collar stitcher for Saddle Works.
More About OSCAR TAFOLLA:
Burial: March 07, 1981, Mission Park South, San Antonio
Fact 1: Carpenter
iv. DELFINA TAFOLLA, b. 1903; m. (1) JOHN N. "JUDGE" OGDEN; m. (2) UNKNOWN SWAYNE; m. (3) DAN PENALOZA; b. July 28, 1907, Texas; d. September 1984, San Antonio, Texas.
v. CLAUDE TAFOLLA, b. December 24, 1906, Mexico; d. December 1986, San Antonio, Texas; m. STAZIE MURRAY.
Notes for CLAUDE TAFOLLA:
1920 census shows Claude entered US in 1909.
29. MARIANO7 TAFOLLA (SANTIAGO6, JOSE MARIANO5 TAFOYA, JOSEPH MIGUEL4, PHELIPE3, ANTONIO2, JUAN DETAFOYA1 ALTAMIRANO) was born Abt. 1874 in Texas. He married ELOISA UNKNOWN. She was born Abt. 1880.
Children of MARIANO TAFOLLA and ELOISA UNKNOWN are:
i. FIDEL LEON8 TAFOLLA, b. February 20, 1898, Monterrey, Mexico; d. January 1971, San Antonio, Texas; m. (1) LOYCE RAINS; b. 1905; m. (2) OLIVIA ELVA TREVINO; b. December 08, 1918; d. March 10, 1991, San Antonio, Texas.
Notes for FIDEL LEON TAFOLLA:
Educator in San Antonio area. Served as Assistant Principal at Lanier High School on the West Side of San Antonio for many years.
Fidel took the state examination to teach and earned a position in a one-room school in Hays County. He was the superintendent, the principal, the teacher and the janitor combined. He taught all subjects. He stayed there three years before returning to San Antonio Independent School District. He worked at JT Brackenridge Elementary, Mark Twain Junior High School and Main Avenue High School. When Jefferson High School opened in 1932, he became a member of its first faculty. In 1934, he moved to Lanier High School as a vice-principal and maintained that position until 1963. Before he retired, he had taught the likes of Judge Richard Teniente; U.S. Representative Henry B. Gonzales; Dr. Herbert Calderon; State Senator Dr. Joe Bernal and Robert Lozano. In 1970, the San Antonio Independent School District named its largest, newest and most modern junior high school, Fidel Tafolla Junior High School.
ii. ELOISA TAFOLLA, b. February 23, 1900; d. February 1981, San Antonio, Texas; m. JOE CHARLES QUENSENBERRY.
iii. ESTHER TAFOLLA, b. January 24, 1902; d. October 15, 1973.
iv. SOFIA TAFOLLA, b. 1904; m. (1) MANUEL CHARRO; m. (2) RAYMOND RODRIGUEZ.
v. ANNIE TAFOLLA, b. February 05, 1906; d. October 29, 1987.
vi. SARA TAFOLLA, b. December 18, 1907; d. April 20, 1994, San Antonio, Texas; m. (1) FRED LUCKSINGER; m. (2) ORLANDO GERODETTI.
vii. PHOEBE TAFOLLA, b. February 27, 1910; d. March 25, 1988; m. JOHNNY QUENSENBERRY.
viii. EVANGELINA TAFOLLA, b. February 15, 1914; d. March 1985, San Antonio, Texas.
ix. MARIANO TAFOLLA, b. June 28, 1916; d. April 15, 1987; m. MARY DUARTE; b. 1917.
x. MARGORIE TAFOLLA, b. April 1919.
xi. ROBERT BENJAMIN TAFOLLA, b. September 15, 1921; d. January 05, 1993, Uvalde, Texas; m. CONCHA VENOGAS.