CAMPBELL’S BAYOU CEMETERY

 

 

Campbell’s Bayou Cemetery, sometime called Campbell Cemetery, is several miles west of Highway 3, off Highway 197, near Swan Lake (29.347’N – 94.901’W) in Texas City, Texas.  The cemetery is fenced, gated, and there are no tombstones remaining.  This cemetery is closed to the public, but you can obtain permission to visit the cemetery from Campbell Bayou Facility, Gulf Coast Waste Disposal Authority, 1600 Campbell Road, Texas City, Texas by calling 409-935-4783.

 

We have included several lists of names of people that are believed to be buried in Campbell Cemetery .  There are additional articles located in the vertical files from Moore Memorial Library researched by Lanny and Lorena Martin.  This information has been taken from old typewritten  pages, and old newspaper articles,  and some were very hard to read. We have tried to transcribe the information as exact as possible. As you will see none of the following material is documented, we will leave that up to the reader to determine if it may apply to some of their family.

 

The Galveston County Cemetery Committee providing this information is made up of:

                                                                                    Melodey Mozeley Hauch

                                                                                    Floyd “Lanny” Martin

Lorena Haymon Martin

Betty Monk Ryman

Betty Hendricks Dunquez.

 

 

For a Biographical Sketch of Captain James and Mary Sabinal Campbell, written by W. T. Block, go to:  http://www.wtblock.com/wtblockjr/james.htm

 

26 June 2007

 

ARTICLES ON THE CAMPBELL BAYOU CEMETERY

 

In 1978 the Texas City Ancestry Searchers published Galveston County Tombstones Volume 1 inscriptions which is an index of several cemeteries in Galveston County, one being Campbell Cemetery.  In 1986 the Texas City Ancestry Searchers published a second cemetery project book, Galveston County Tombstone Inscriptions Volume 2 and there is additional information about Campbell Cemetery submitted by Mrs. Marie McGrory, great great granddaughter of Mary and James Campbell.

 

Names taken from  Galveston County Tombstones Volume 1

 

ARMSTRONG family

CAMPBELL grandchildren

CAMPBELL, Charlotte

CAMPBELL, Jim

CAMPBELL, Joseph

CAMPBELL, Mary

DICK, Minny

IVY twins

McNEILLY family

MEYERS, Mrs. Charlie

MUNSON, Charlie

REYNOLDS family

RUTLEGE, Phoebe

SELBY family

WESTERLAGE, Caroline Diane

YOUNG, George

 

Names taken from Galveston County Tombstones Volume 2

 

During the Civil War a covered wagon came to James and Mary Campbell’s home.  This family had a very sick child and Mrs. Campbell took them in and did all she could to help with the little one, but she die that night.

 

There were no cemeteries so Mrs. Campbell gave a plot of ground for the little girl.  That was the beginning of Campbell’s Bayou Cemetery.

 

Names of some of the people buried there are:

 

Little Girl – name unknown                                           Reynold Mc Neil          

Frank Campbell                                                             Charlie Meyers

Mary Jane Campbell                                                      John and Molines, son Wesley and two

Joseph Parr                                                                   little girls  (last name unknown)

Levi Parr                                                                      Gordy Infant

Liona Dick                                                                    Eva Gordy

Eddie Parr                                                                    Mrs. Armstonr-

Frank Parr                                                                    Cabot Young

Mary Parr                                                                     George Young

Mamie Parr                                                                  Mrs. Phoebe Rutlage

Charlie Munson                                                             Ninny Dick

Joseph Toohey                                                              Charlotte Campbell

Willie Parr, Jr                                                                Jim Campbell

Caroline Diana Westerlage                                            Diana Campbell

Mr. McNeil                                                                   Greace Dick

Shelby McNeil                                                              Reynolds Family

Joseph Campbell                                                           Armstong Family

Ephram Parr

 

 

OBITUARY

 

Galveston Weekly News – May 27, 1856  - Galveston, Texas

 

DEATH OF AN OLD PIONEER – Died, at his residence, near Virginia Point, on the 5th inst., in the seventieth year of his age, James Campbell.  In 1812, Campbell enlisted to join Commodore Perry on Lake Erie, reaching Philadelphia he was  transferred to the frigate Constitution and participated in her brilliant engagement with the “Guerriere.”  He afterwards joined Lafitte and was his favorite Lieutenant, at this place over 30 years.  Campbell always spoke of Lafitte as sailing under letters of Marque; that he was a highly honorable man and a privateer, but unhesisitatingly denied the general impression that he was a pirate. In man times Campbell had, in this vicinity, frequent skirmishes with the Indians.  Since then he has led a quiet, peaceful life, and was a good citizen.  He was the last of Lafitte’s men left upon this Bay. ─- CIVILIAN.

 

Transcribed and typed from the Microfilm Newspaper Collection of the Wallisville Hertiage Park by Kevin Ladd on January 17, 1985.

 

 

 

 

CAMPBELL CEMETERY

NAMES OF THOSE BURIED

Mrs. Leonard Hamilton

94  8-1314

(see diagram)

 

1. Minny Dick

2. Lee and Mabel Dick’s twin baby girl

3. Warren and Sallie Campbell’s little girl, Charlotte

3. Warren and Sallie Campbell’s adopted baby, Joseph

3 Willie and Lilia Parr’s little baby

3 Joe and Josephine Gordy’s little girl

3. Baby grandchild of Jim & Mary’s

4. Charlie Meyers, and old sailor

5.Jim Campbell

6. Mary Campbell

7. Mr. McNeil, from Bolivar

7. Shelby McNeil, a son

7. Reynold McNeil, a son

8. Mrs. Armstrong, Mrs. McNeil’s mother

9. Mrs. Phoebe Rutledge

10. Mr. Johnson and some soldiers – Confederate

 

Additional names, but location of graves unknown:

Henry and Sally Campbell, twins of Jim and Mary

Charlie Munson, son of Thad and Julia Munson

Caroline Diane Westerlage, baby of Charles and Jennie Westerlage

Two strange babies died during Civil War

Wesley Gordy, son of John and Melina Gordy

Little girl Gordy, of John and Melina Gordy

Eva Gordy, baby of Jim and Bella Gordy

Cabet Young

Grace Dick, baby of Jeff and Laura Dick

Dianne Campbell Parr’s children:

            Frank, 5 yrs old

            Joseph, just after birth

            Mamie, 5 yrs old

Jameson, 10 or 12 yrs. Old

Rebecca Mary, 6 mos.

“Uncle” George Young, a friend, the first to be buried in cemetery

“Little Stranger”, child died while family traveling through

Lottie Campbell, daughter of Warren & Sallie Campbell

 

People were always buried with head to the east.  Entrance gate was on the south side.  A picket fence was on the east, north, and south; with a Bodark plank fence on the west.  Crepe Myrtle bushes of pink, red, and white were planted at the gate and throughout the cemetery.  The cemetery measured 70 by 70 feet.  Jim had a large wooden marker made of Bodark Wood brought in by the Karankawa Indians.  Mary’s grave was marked by stacked bricks with a wooden cross on top.  White marble markers were used for the Bolivar people, the McNeils  and

Mrs. Armstrong  as well as for Lottie Campbell.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

North

 

 

 

 

 

South

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Campbell Cemetery Burials

From Vertical Files at Moore Memorial Library

1850

Campbell’s Cemetery

 

“The Strange Baby  - Family came thru in a covered wagon, camped outside the fence where the cemetery is now. Had Grandma Mary Campbell’s permission to do so as the baby was very sick, Grandma helped nurse. All was done that could be done and the baby died and Mrs. Campbell gave permission to then to bury it on her property.  The grandmother placed a tiny doll statute and a tiny lamb upon the grave and shortly afterwards the parents left in the covered wagon for parts unknown.

 

James Campbell – husband of Grandma Mary Campbell – was drown in Galveston Bay.  Was on the boat (sail) a squall came up and he didn’t return and family hunted and  found his body.  He was about 64 or 63.

 

Jane Campbell – 8 or 9 years old. Daughter of Mary Campbell and the late James Campbell.

 

Frank Campbell – 13 or 15 years old.  Son of Mary Campbell and the late James Campbell

 

2 little boys Levi Parr and Joe Parr, 4 and 2 years old died a few hours with “quinsy”.  (Quinsy ─ a painful pus-filled inflammation of the tonsils and surrounding tissues; usually a complication of tonsillitis).  Sons of Diana Campbell Parr (daughter of Mary and James Campbell) and Solomon Parr.  A brick mason by the name of S King was staying with the Campbell’s at the time of the death of the little boys.  Built a brick vault under the ground.  Brick factory and bricks was made on the banks of the Campbell Bayou by their father, Colonel Parr and S. King.

 

Elizabeth Parr about 6 months died with croup.

 

Eddie Parr age about 3 – three years after the two little brothers death died of quinsy.

 

Frankie Parr about one year old died six months after Eddie Parr’s death – Quinsy.

 

Charlotte Campbell daughter of Warren Campbell (son of James & Mary Campbell) and Sally Actkins Campbell – about 3 years of age.

 

Mary Sabnio Campbell wife of James Campbell, mother of Diana Parr and Warren Campbell.  Died Jan 2, 1885 – age 84 years.

 

Charles Meyers – an old German sailor lived for 15 years or longer with Solomon Parr and Diana Parr.  Worked doing chores and he knitted all his socks.  He was liked and loved by the family.  He was about 80 years and died one week after the death of Grandma Mary Campbell.

 

Mary (Mamie) Parr youngest daughter of Diana Campbell Parr and Solomon Parr. Died Aug 1886 – 5 years old. Died from whooping cough.

 

Charles Munson – 5 years old “croup”.  Son of Julia Parr Munson and Thad Munson.  Died at Dollar Point (now Texas City). Brought the body down to Campbell’s Bayou by sailboat.grandson of Diana Parr and Solomon Parr.

 

Rundle McNeel – about 2 years old.  Son of Shelby McNeil Sr.

 

Shelby McNeel Sr. about 50 years of Highland now LaMarque.  Died of T.B.

 

Mr. Niles about 70 years – he and son came in a covered wagon and camped in a large house,  2 large rooms and hall on Swans Lake.  Son went back from where the dame.  Del Rio.

 

Mrs. Phebe Rutglis about 35 – mother of 4 small children.  Diana Campbell Parr and daughter Jennie Parr nursed her until she died.

 

Mr. Hayford Sr. lived several years at and around Campbell’s Bayou.  Died and buried at Campbell’s Bayou.  Wife and 3 sons lived a few years longer.  Wife lost her life at Moses Lake in the 1900 Storm.  She was living with her youngest son.  He was carrying his mother, Mrs. Haygood, in his arms upstairs to get out of the high water and a big wave swept the stair way and he lost his hold on her.  She drown and he managed to save his self.  Her body was never found.

 

About 1889 – 2 babies infants of T. J. Dick and Lelia Dick.

 

Adopted baby boy Mike – of Mike Toohey and Sallie Parr Toohey daughter of Diana Campbell and Solomon Parr.  Baby about 6 months old.

 

Two babies of John and Miline Gordy  6 months and one years old.

 

Benjamin Dick son of James and Amanda Dick brother of Lee Dick.  Wife was eldest girl of the late Phebe Rudglis-Annie.  Benjamin Dicks body was brought over by sail boat from old home “Lone Oak” in Chambers County. Dick died from shotgun wounds and  was reburied I Campbell’s Bayou Cemetery year 1890.

 

Shelby McNeel Jr. killed on work on railroad at Virginia Point and buried by his father S. McNeel Sr. and small brother Rundles.

 

Infant Leone Dick, twin daughter of Mabel Parr Dick (daughter of Diana Campbell Parr and Solomon Parr) and Lee Dick born Aug 16 1895.  36 hrs. old.

 

Infant baby boy of Josephine Parr Gordy daughter of Diana Campbell Parr and Solomon Parr and Joe Gordy

 

Baby girl about two years old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thedo. Dorsett year 1897.

 

Grace Dick, daughter of Laura and Jeff Dick last to be buried in the Campbell Cemetery about 1904. She was about three or 4 years old.

 

Infant Baby of Sue and Jeff Dick year 1892

 

Infant baby boy of William Parr and Lelia Nelson Parr year about 1886.

 

Infant baby of James Gordy and Bell Nelson Gordy about year of 1886.

 

 

 

This article was typed on loose sheets, found in the vertical files of Moore Memorial Library

 

 

Appendix B

 

The list of people buried in Campbell’s cemetery was written by Mrs. H. A. Zipprian, Sr., from her aunt Sally Newport, granddaughter of Jim and Mary Campbell. Mrs. Zipprian wrote in her scrapbook:

 

S well as Aunt Sally can remember these are the names of people buried in the old cemetery at Campbell’s Bayou.

 

Grandpa James Campbell

Grandma Mary Campbell

Their children Frank and Mary Jane Campbell

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Solomon and Diana Parr’s children

Joseph, Levi, Eddie, Frank, Mary Jane and Mamie Parr

- - - - - - - - -

Thad and Julie Munson’s

little boy Charlie

- - - - - - - - - - -

Charles and Jennie Westerlages

baby Caroline Diana

- - - - - - - - -

Uncle Warren and Aunt Sallie Campbell’s
little girl Charlotte

- - - - - - - - - - -

Aunt Sallie’s little adopted baby Joseph

- - - - - - - - -

Uncle Willie and Aunt Lelia Parr’s little baby

- - - - - - -

Uncle Joe and Aunt Josephine Gordy’s

little girl

- - - - - - - - - - -

Uncle Sec and Aunt Mabel Dick’s little

twin baby girl  (Ivey’s twin and a little boy)

- - - - - - - - - - -

Two little strange babies died during  Civil War

- - - - - - - - - -

A Mr. McNeil – his sons

Shelby and Reynold

- - - - - - - - - - -

Charlie Meyers an old sailor

- - - - - - - - - -

John and Melina Gordy’s

two children Wesley and little girl

- - - - - - - - -

Jim and Bella Gordy’s

baby Eva

- - - - - - - -

Mrs. Armstrong

(Mrs. McNeils mother)

- - - - - - - - -

Cabet Young

Jeff and Laura Dick’s baby Grace

- - - - - - - -

Mrs. Phoebe Rutlage

- - - - - - -

Ninny Dick (See Dick’s brother)

 

These names are just what Aunt Sallie can remember. She said she may have made some mistakes.  This cemetery is a little plot of ground with a barbed wire fence around it.  A few trees, mostly dead ones are in it and usually full of birds nests.  Prickly pears and red ants are thick there.  It is not far from Campbell’s Bayou which is about dried up and no life at all around there any more.

 

 

OBITUARY

 

Texas City – Citizens

MRS. DICK – OLDEST NATIVE DIES HERE

Mrs. Mable Parr Dick, 96, the oldest native of Texas City, died about 6 p.m. Tuesday in her home 1328 6th Ave. S.

        Mrs. Dick was born Nov. 1, 1875 in Campbell’s Bayou, a small community which lay in what is now the southern portion of Texas City

        One of seven children of Dianna Campbell Parr and  Soloman Parr, Mrs. Dick’s grandfather, James Campbell, a former privateer with Jean LaFitte, had founded the community.

        As a child she attended the sporatic school classes conducted at Shoal Point, a village located near the dike which was the early beginning of Texas City.  She was also given transportation to another school by Guy M. Bryan, a nephew of Stephen F. Austin and a Congressman of note.

        Stories related to her by her grandmother, Mary Campbell, were stories concerned with James Campbell’s privateering days with Jean LaFitte: the Karankaws Indians; and the hardships sustained during the settling of Campbell’s Bayou.

        After the 1900 hurricane destroyed Campbell’s Bayou, Mabel and her husband, Lee Dick, moved to League City, but they returned to Texas City in 1908, so that their children could attend school here.

        Mrs. Dick was active in church work and proved instrumental in organizing the Women’s Society of Christian Service in the Methodist Church here.  One of the WSCS circles of First United Methodist Church was named in her honor. Later, when she transferred membership to the West End Methodist Church, she was active in the Ladies Aid Society.  She was also a lifetime member of the Eastern Star.

        Mrs. Dick was a valuable source of information to local historians.  She had a sharp memory for detail and was a master story teller, finding special enjoyment in relating the stories of her grandmother.

        Information supplied by Mrs. Dick was the basis for research which led to obtaining an official Texas State Historical Marker for Her grandfather and Campbell’s Bayou. Information supplied by Mrs. Dick also furnished material for several magazine articles

        Mrs. Dick made her home here with one of her daughters.  Mrs. Bertha Wetzel.  In addition, she is survived by three of her daughters,  Mrs. C. H. Lanier of Richmond, Mrs. J. A. Wetzel of  Edinburgh and Miss Katherine Dick of  Peoria, Ill.; nine grandchildren; 22 great-grandchildren; and four great-great grandchildren.

        Funeral services will be held at 2:30 p.m. Thursday in the chapel of Emken-Linton Mortuaries, Texas City, with the Rev. James F. Edds officiating.  Burial will be in the LaMarque City Cemetery.

. 

 

(There was no date of publishing on the Texas City Citizens article.   Vol 2 of Galveston Co. Tombstones Inscriptions, page 2 Section K, read that Mable Parr Dick Born Nov 1, 1875 – died May 4, 1971).

 

 

Monday Morning May 7, 1990

Galveston Daily News

 

Cemetery faces uncertain future.

Remains of Lafitte’s lieutenant can be found in tiny burial ground.

By Maury Darst

 

Virginia Point – The body of James Campbell occupies one of the few graves in a tiny almost neglected cemetery not far from the shore of Galveston Bay.

        The site, almost inaccessible, is threatened by possible industrial development and by further erosion from Galveston Bay.

        Historical records show Campbell served as a Lieutenant for the Legendary privateer Jean Lafitte when he occupied the eastern end of Galveston Island from 181 – 1821.

        The cemetery is the only remnant of the small community of Campbell’s Bayou which once thrived here long before a wooden trestle linking the Galveston County mainland with the island in 1859.

        Many of the headstones have been broken up.

        Over the years, vandals have dug into several of the graves.

        When the weeds are down you can find the faint outline f the old home where Solomon and Diana Parr lived. Diana was the Campbell’s daughter, and their daughter  was the late Mrs. Mabel Dick of Texas City.

        Many of Campbell’s descendant still live in Galveston County.

        The family was living at Campbell’s Bayou in 1900 when the great storm swept across the island and turned much of Galveston into rubble.

        In a 1964 interview, Mrs. Dick recalled to a Galveston Daily News reporter her experience of fleeing to LaMarque just ahead of the tidal surge that accompanied the storm.

        Much of the information about Campbell came to light when Sam Welsh wrote the first modern account of the privateer’s life as a senior history project at Texas A & M University in 1964.

        There is also a lot of data on the erstwhile privateer in the collections of the Rosenberg Library in Galveston.

        News files show Campbell drowned in Galveston Bay in 1856 as he was attempting to get to Galveston Island.

        According to those records, Campbell was born in Derry County, Ireland in 1791.  He came to Baltimore with his parents as a small child.

        Joining the United States Navy, he served aboard the U.S.S. Constitution and the U.S.S. Constellation. (The Constitution is still a commissioned vessel in the Navy). He also served in the War of 1812.

He later served aboard the Spanish-flag “Coujalado” and was aboard the ship when it was sunk by a privateer named Capt. Happ.  There were only four survivors.

        Campbell was among the four and reportedly put ashore on Galveston Island where he met Lafitte.

        Documents show Lafitte placed Campbell in command of a schooner, the Concord.  He

late severed his relationship with the buccaneer and returned to the Galveston Bay area to settle down and rear his family.

Family legend says Campbell’s wife “was tired of having to move around …and refused to follow him on further exploits.”

The 1900 Storm, however, destroyed an important link between the present generations and Jim Campbell.

Books and papers were swept away with the house along with other “tools” Campbell had saved from his days as Lafitte’s right hand man. They included pistols, cutlasses and other guns.

One telescope, however, survived.  In the 1960’s. it was owned by Walter Wetzel Jr., of Dickinson, Campbell’s great-great grandson.

The telescope was reportedly used by family members at the old Campbell homestead.

The scope has an inscription indicating it was made in Liverpool, England in the 18th century.

A subject marked erected by the Texas Historical Commission and located on the grounds of the city hall in Texas City, honors Campbell and his family.