Texas Landmarks - Ector County

TXGenWeb Project

Ector County - TXGenWeb County Index

Ector County, Texas - Index of Landmarks & Vanished Communities

Tips on using this index:

·  1. Scroll or use your browser "find" function to search this Index for a particular name or location.

·  2. Click on "Feature Name" to view a map of the location (U.S. Census Bureau's Tiger Map Server). Click on "Zoom In" to view a more detailed map. You may have to Zoom In several times to get the details of the location.

·  3. Items submitted by USGS will first go to a tabular list of information. To view the map click on "Show feature Location". Items submitted by others will go directly to the map.

·  4. Items submitted by sources other than the USGS show approximate locations only. They have not been surveyed but usually are given to editor as verbal or written descriptions.

·  5. Locations of creeks & streams are given at the mouth of the creek or stream, i.e. where it joins a larger stream.

How to Add Landmarks or Features to These Pages or Submit Corrections.

 

Feature Name

St

County Name

Type

Latitude
Longitude

Description

Submitters Name
E-mail address

Alamo School

TX

Ector

school

315203N
1022214W

 

USGS

Alley Oople Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320210N
1023547W

 

USGS

Andector Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

320427N
1024311W

 

USGS

Antelope Lake

TX

Ector

lake

315955N
1023115W

 

USGS

Antioch Church

TX

Ector

church

315307N
1022023W

 

USGS

Arcade

TX

Ector

pop place

314810N
1022644W

 

USGS

Austin School

TX

Ector

school

315106N
1022225W

 

USGS

Badger

TX

Ector

pop place

314344N
1023650W

Badger, Texas, reportedly a populated place, was located 2 miles northeast of Judkins, Texas, on U. S. Highway 80 and the Texas & Pacific railroad in southwestern Ector County. Although it sat beside the railroad, Badger did not originate as a point on the railroad. Badger developed as a result of the oil discovery on 28 December 1926 in nearby Penwell field. In the oil boom that followed, Badger came into existence at sometime in 1927. By 1933 the community reported one business and a population of 200 and that population figure remained until sometime during World War II. After the war and through 1947 population showed a decline to fifty, still served by one business. Before 1949 both the population and the business disappeared and Badger, Texas, was not listed among Texas populated places by later issues of Texas Almanac or by John Clements in Flying the Colors (1984). No post office, school, church, or cemetery was found at Badger, Texas. Sources: Wylene Kirk, “Early Post Offices and Towns in the Permian Basin Area,” in The Texas Permian Historical Annual 1:1 (Aug 1961), 11-21; Bill Walkup, “The Advent of the Iron Horse,” in Odessa, Texas (n.p.: Texas Permian Historical Society, 1961), 6-8; Robert L. Phifer, Petroleum Review: Ector County, Texas (Houston: Phifer Petroleum Publications, 1955), 8, 13; 1933 Texas Almanac, 54; 1936 Texas Almanac, 147; 1939 Texas Almanac, 103; 1941-42 Texas Almanac, 117; 1943-44 Texas Almanac, 71; 1945-1946 Texas Almanac, 111; 1947-1948 Texas Almanac, 135, map on page 462 shows location of Badger, Texas; John Clements, Flying the Colors (Dallas: Clements Research, Inc., 1984), 218.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Barrow Park

TX

Ector

park

315119N
1022305W

 

USGS

Bellaire Park

TX

Ector

park

315231N
1022206W

 

USGS

Belmont Church

TX

Ector

church

315043N
1022300W

 

USGS

Bethany Church

TX

Ector

church

315327N
1022217W

 

USGS

Big Tanks

TX

Ector

reservoir

314956N
1024509W

 

USGS

Blackshear Staduim

TX

Ector

locale

315027N
1022049W

 

USGS

Bonham Junior High School

TX

Ector

school

315215N
1022109W

 

USGS

Bowie Junior High School

TX

Ector

school

315137N
1022304W

 

USGS

Bradley Barn Well

TX

Ector

well

314435N
1023118W

 

USGS

Bradley Well

TX

Ector

well

314241N
1023157W

 

USGS

Breaks Well

TX

Ector

well

314210N
1022819W

 

USGS

Broughton Park

TX

Ector

park

315539N
1022352W

 

USGS

Buchanan Well

TX

Ector

well

315129N
1023537W

 

USGS

Buffalo Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314330N
1024336W

 

USGS

Bull Pasture Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315405N
1023506W

 

USGS

Bull Well

TX

Ector

well

315237N
1022610W

 

USGS

Bum Lake

TX

Ector

lake

320326N
1024239W

 

USGS

Bum Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320323N
1024255W

 

USGS

Bumper Tank

TX

Ector

reservoir

314830N
1024617W

 

USGS

Burleson School

TX

Ector

school

315238N
1022326W

 

USGS

Burnet School

TX

Ector

school

315252N
1022141W

 

USGS

C-Bar Ranch

TX

Ector

locale

314320N
1023719W

 

USGS

Caliche Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320148N
1022548W

 

USGS

Cameron School

TX

Ector

school

315021N
1022346W

 

USGS

Casa Bella Park

TX

Ector

park

315220N
1022150W

 

USGS

Central Park

TX

Ector

park

315132N
1022155W

 

USGS

Chapel Hill Church

TX

Ector

church

315353N
1022141W

 

USGS

Cherry Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315404N
1023101W

 

USGS

Cheyenne Lake

TX

Ector

lake

315614N
1024302W

 

USGS

Clark Brothers Ranch

TX

Ector

locale

314034N
1022449W

 

USGS

Claypit Tank

TX

Ector

reservoir

315109N
1024402W

 

USGS

Cole Ranch

TX

Ector

locale

320112N
1024246W

 

USGS

Collins Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315950N
1023019W

 

USGS

Comanche Trails Camp

TX

Ector

locale

320124N
1023116W

 

USGS

Conger Ranch

TX

Ector

locale

320308N
1023616W

 

USGS

Cotter Tanks

TX

Ector

reservoir

314911N
1024517W

 

USGS

Cowden Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

314900N
1022936W

 

USGS

Coyote Lake

TX

Ector

lake

315626N
1023309W

 

USGS

Crater Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314530N
1022916W

 

USGS

Cross Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314621N
1022857W

 

USGS

Crump Park

TX

Ector

park

315103N
1022239W

 

USGS

Dagger Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314712N
1024753W

 

USGS

Deep Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314118N
1024246W

 

USGS

Dipping Vat Well

TX

Ector

well

315447N
1022649W

 

USGS

Division Well

TX

Ector

well

314412N
1022532W

 

USGS

Donnelly North Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

315554N
1023304W

 

USGS

Donnelly Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

315318N
1023243W

 

USGS

Double H Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

314236N
1022721W

 

USGS

Douro (Duro)

TX

Ector

pop place

314542N
1023131W

Douro [or Duro], Texas, a vanished community, was established 10 miles southwest of Odessa, Texas, on the Texas & Pacific railroad in southwestern Ector County in 1881, when the railroad reached the county. A town plat for Douro was drawn; lots were sold; and, plans for a courthouse were made. However, no town developed at the site. One story for the origin of the name is the Spanish word, duro, meaning firm or unyielding. According to the story, a Spanish-speaking track layer found the ground difficult to work with his pick and shovel and called it duro. After oil was discovered in Penwell field on 28 December 1926 and in Harper field on 02 December 1933, Douro became a small boom town for a short time. Douro reported one business and a population of 25 from 1939 until 1947. When the boom faded, so did Douro [Sources: Robert L. Phifer, Petroleum Review: Ector County, Texas (Houston: Phifer Petroleum Publications, 1955), 8-13; 1939 Texas Almanac, 107; 1941-42 Texas Almanac, 121; 1943-44 Texas Almanac, 74; 1945-1946 Texas Almanac, 116; 1947-1948 Texas Almanac, 138] No post office existed at the site. Sources: Bill Walkup, The Advent of the Iron Horse,” in Odessa, Texas (n.p.: Texas Permian Historical Society, 1961), 3, 6-8; Wylene Kirk, Early Post Offices and Towns in the Permian Basin Area, in The Texas Permian Historical Annual 1:1 (Aug 1961), 11-21; Charles P. Zlatkovich, Texas Railroads: A Record of Construction and Abandonment (Austin: UT and TSHA, 1981), 91.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Dowling School

TX

Ector

school

315157N
1022133W

 

USGS

Draw Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320506N
1022732W

 

USGS

Dumpground Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314817N
1021931W

 

USGS

East Buchanan Well

TX

Ector

well

315153N
1023351W

 

USGS

East Eight Section Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314355N
1021746W

 

USGS

East Goldsmith Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

320023N
1023507W

 

USGS

East Nine Section Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314621N
1021836W

 

USGS

East Side Park

TX

Ector

park

315127N
1022204W

 

USGS

East Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314428N
1024557W

 

USGS

East Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315529N
1024143W

 

USGS

East Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320128N
1023304W

 

USGS

Ector County

TX

Ector

civil

315200N
1023300W

 

USGS

Ector High School

TX

Ector

school

314953N
1022213W

 

USGS

Ector Tank

TX

Ector

reservoir

314756N
1024609W

 

USGS

Embar Lake

TX

Ector

lake

320003N
1023559W

 

USGS

Embar Ranch

TX

Ector

locale

320417N
1023759W

 

USGS

Fannin School

TX

Ector

school

315024N
1022302W

 

USGS

Farm Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314714N
1021827W

 

USGS

Five Section Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315513N
1021721W

 

USGS

Five Section Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320508N
1023853W

 

USGS

Flagg Ranch

TX

Ector

locale

320218N
1024713W

 

USGS

Floyd Gwin Park

TX

Ector

park

315038N
1022336W

 

USGS

Foster Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

315125N
1022624W

 

USGS

Four Section Well

TX

Ector

well

315222N
1023015W

 

USGS

Four Section Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315814N
1022013W

 

USGS

Gardendale

TX

Ector

pop place

320113N
1022247W

 

USGS

Germany Wells

TX

Ector

well

314052N
1023215W

 

USGS

Giffon Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320021N
1023303W

 

USGS

Goldsmith

TX

Ector

pop place

315850N
1023653W

 

USGS

Goldsmith Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

315753N
1023946W

 

USGS

Goldsmith Plant

TX

Ector

other

315854N
1023803W

 

USGS

Goliad School

TX

Ector

school

315342N
1022250W

 

USGS

Gonzales School

TX

Ector

school

315209N
1022007W

 

USGS

Great Oil Basin Shopping Center

TX

Ector

locale

315137N
1022109W

 

USGS

Green Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320113N
1024431W

 

USGS

Greenfield Acres Church

TX

Ector

church

315422N
1022450W

 

USGS

Gulf Camp Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315759N
1023612W

 

USGS

Hammett Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314852N
1022233W

 

USGS

Harper Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

314823N
1023345W

 

USGS

Harrisdale Church

TX

Ector

church

315146N
1022444W

 

USGS

Hays School

TX

Ector

school

315013N
1022038W

 

USGS

Headlee Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

315251N
1021824W

 

USGS

Henderson Heights Church

TX

Ector

church

315028N
1022456W

 

USGS

Henderson Jog Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314552N
1022700W

 

USGS

Henderson Park

TX

Ector

park

315218N
1022302W

 

USGS

Henderson Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314453N
1022753W

 

USGS

Hendricks Windmills

TX

Ector

locale

315007N
1021835W

 

USGS

Holy Redeemer Church

TX

Ector

church

315142N
1022426W

 

USGS

Home Pasture Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314427N
1022349W

 

USGS

Homestead Tank

TX

Ector

reservoir

314824N
1024559W

 

USGS

Hood Junior High School

TX

Ector

school

315255N
1022232W

 

USGS

Hunter Well

TX

Ector

well

320032N
1022005W

 

USGS

Ireland School

TX

Ector

school

315330N
1022144W

 

USGS

James Lake

TX

Ector

lake

315919N
1023129W

 

USGS

Jim Bayou

TX

Ector

stream

325222N
0940722W

 

USGS

Johnson Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

315342N
1023017W

 

USGS

Judkins

TX

Ector

pop place

314303N
1023756W

Located 18 miles southwest of Odessa, Texas, on Interstate 20 and the Missouri Pacific railroad in southwestern Ector County. The community began as a point on the Texas & Pacific railroad when its tracks were extended into the county in 1881, but no name was found for the railroad location. The Judkins family settled there in 1898 and the current community name was supplied by Frank Judkins, who became postmaster when the first post office opened on 26 December 1906. Judkins School District first levied taxes in the 1907-1908 term and built a new building at the cost of $3,000 in 1908. In 1908-1909 the school enrolled 71 pupils who were taught by two teachers. A townsite was planned and a group of 24 German farm families came from a settled Texas area to live in the community during a wet year such as 1908. Their row crops, including cotton, grew well until the drought of 1910 sent them back to their earlier homes. When Felix E. Jones was postmaster in 1910, the post office closed. On 26 August 1912, a former Judkins postmaster, George E. Printz, managed to reopen a post office, but it closed again on 30 September 1914. Morgan H. Lewis reestablished the post office on 09 September 1916, but this third post office was discontinued before the end of the year and the building was moved to Odessa. By 1921 the school building was in need of repair and Judkins School District was consolidated with all other districts in the county to form Ector County School District. On 28 December 1926 oil was discovered in nearby Penwell field and a fourth post office opened at Judkins on 15 August 1928 with Dorothy Tharp as postmaster. Temporarily revived by the oil boom, Judkins reported a population of 150 in 1929. From 1933 through 1947 Judkins consisted of 15 residents and one business, although the post office consolidated with the one at Penwell on 15 June 1936 when Hiram R. Smith was postmaster. From the 1950s through the 1990s no population and no businesses were recorded for Judkins by Texas Almanac. John Clements did not list Judkins among populated communities of Ector County in 1988. Sources: State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, General Highway Map of Ector County, Texas, revised 01 Nov 1986; Wylene Kirk, “Early Post Offices and Towns in the Permian Basin Area,” in The Texas Permian Historical Annual 1:1 (Aug 1961), 11-21; Charles P. Zlatkovich, Texas Railroads: A Record of Construction and Abandonment (Austin: UT and TSHA, 1981), 91; Tracy Byers, “History of Education in Ector County,” in Odessa, Texas (n.p.: Texas Permian Historical Society, 1961, 21-23; Robert L. Phifer, Petroleum Review: Ector County, Texas (Houston: Phifer Petroleum Publications, 1955), 8; 1929 Texas Almanac, 57; 1933 Texas Almanac, 60; 1936 Texas Almanac, 153; 1939 Texas Almanac, 109; 1941-42 Texas Almanac, 123; 1943-44 Texas Almanac, 77; 1945-46 Texas Almanac, 119; 1947-48 Texas Almanac, 141; Charles Deaton, Texas Postal History Handbook (Houston: by author, 1980), 109; John Clements, Flying the Colors: Texas Facts, 5th ed. (Dallas: Clements Research II, Inc., 1988), 218.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

KENT-AM (Odessa)

TX

Ector

tower

314914N
1022542W

 

USGS

KENT-FM (Odessa)

TX

Ector

tower

315350N
1023357W

 

USGS

KGEE-FM (Monahans)

TX

Ector

tower

314540N
1023128W

 

USGS

KKKK-FM (Odessa)

TX

Ector

tower

315050N
1022715W

 

USGS

KMGP-FM (Monahans)

TX

Ector

tower

315755N
1024610W

 

USGS

KMLM-TV (Odessa)

TX

Ector

tower

320253N
1021744W

 

USGS

KMRK-FM (Odessa)

TX

Ector

tower

314612N
1023226W

 

USGS

KNDA-AM (Odessa)

TX

Ector

tower

314809N
1022257W

 

USGS

KOCV-FM (Odessa)

TX

Ector

tower

315157N
1022257W

 

USGS

KOCV-FM (Odessa)

TX

Ector

tower

315130N
1022300W

 

USGS

KOCV-TV (Odessa)

TX

Ector

tower

315159N
1022250W

 

USGS

KODM-FM (Odessa)

TX

Ector

tower

313934N
1021738W

 

USGS

KOSA-TV (Odessa)

TX

Ector

tower

315150N
1023441W

 

USGS

KOYL-AM (Odessa)

TX

Ector

tower

315234N
1022419W

 

USGS

King Lake

TX

Ector

lake

314503N
1024146W

 

USGS

LaFiesta Park

TX

Ector

park

315022N
1022113W

 

USGS

Lammar School

TX

Ector

school

315115N
1022138W

 

USGS

Lawson Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

315248N
1023755W

 

USGS

McElroy Trap Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314448N
1022057W

 

USGS

McKinney Park

TX

Ector

park

314929N
1022152W

 

USGS

McKinney Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315419N
1021805W

 

USGS

Menard Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315020N
1021718W

 

USGS

Mesco Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315139N
1021911W

 

USGS

Metz

TX

Ector

pop place

314212N
1023924W

Located 4 miles southwest of Judkins, Texas, and 5 miles northeast of Prairie Home, Texas, on the Texas & Pacific railroad in southwestern Ector County. Metz became a section house on the railroad when its tracks were extended into the county in 1881. Although the railroad may have planned a townsite at the location, no community grew up around the section house. Metz was named in honor of the city in Germany with the same name. Sources: Wylene Kirk, Early Post Offices and Towns in the Permian Basin Area,” in The Texas Permian Historical Annual 1:1 (Aug 1961), 11-21; Charles P. Zlatkovich, Texas Railroads: A Record of Construction and Abandonment (Austin: UT and TSHA, 1981), 91; Odessa, Texas (n.p.: Texas Permian Historical Society, 1961), map on page 3.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Metz Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

314210N
1023944W

 

USGS

Mexican Well

TX

Ector

well

315453N
1022842W

 

USGS

Middle Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314008N
1024004W

 

USGS

Milam School

TX

Ector

school

315027N
1022108W

 

USGS

Moose Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

314210N
1021737W

 

USGS

Moss Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

314551N
1023526W

 

USGS

Moss Ranch

TX

Ector

locale

314827N
1022431W

 

USGS

Mowing Machine Lake

TX

Ector

lake

315846N
1023021W

 

USGS

Muskingum Draw

TX

Ector

valley

314925N
1022120W

 

USGS

Nester Well

TX

Ector

well

314210N
1023006W

 

USGS

New Well

TX

Ector

well

314120N
1023533W

 

USGS

New Well

TX

Ector

well

315335N
1022716W

 

USGS

New Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315951N
1023626W

 

USGS

New Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320358N
1022218W

 

USGS

North Burkett Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315607N
1023054W

 

USGS

North Clyde Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315749N
1023504W

 

USGS

North Cowden

TX

Ector

pop place

320016N
1023045W

Located 17 miles northwest of Odessa, Texas, between Scharbauer City, Texas, and Goldsmith, Texas, on State Highway 158 in north central Ector County. The community formed to supply workers and operators in North Cowden Field after oil was discovered there on 03 September 1930. The town and the oil field were named for the local ranching family. In 1947 a post office opened with Anna Dryer as the first postmaster. By 1952 three businesses served a community of 80. From 1954 through 1961 seven businesses operated at North Cowden. However, all businesses closed before 1964 and the post office followed before 1976. John Clements did not list North Cowden among populated communities of Ector County in 1988, although 1998-1999 Texas Almanac listed a population of 80 at the site. Sources: State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, General Highway Map of Ector County, Texas, revised 01 Nov 1986; North Cowden, Tex, USGS 7.5 topographical map, 1967; Wylene Kirk, “Early Post Offices and Towns in the Permian Basin Area,” in The Texas Permian Historical Annual 1:1 (Aug 1961), 11-21; Robert L. Phifer, Petroleum Review: Ector County, Texas (Houston: Phifer Petroleum Publications, 1955), 8; 1952-53 Texas Almanac, 91; 1954-55 Texas Almanac, 118; 1956-57 Texas Almanac, 150; 1958-59 Texas Almanac, 124; 1961-62 Texas Almanac, 213; 1964-65 Texas Almanac, 150; 1966-67 Texas Almanac, 150; 1976-77 Texas Almanac, 202; 1998-1999 Texas Almanac, 310; John Clements, Flying the Colors: Texas Facts, 5th ed. (Dallas: Clements Research II, Inc., 1988), 218.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

North Cowden Deep Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

320452N
1023526W

 

USGS

North Cowden Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

320053N
1023021W

 

USGS

North House Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314208N
1024732W

 

USGS

North Johnson Well

TX

Ector

well

315605N
1022727W

 

USGS

North Kelly Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314234N
1022147W

 

USGS

North Well

TX

Ector

well

320005N
1022127W

 

USGS

North Whittenburg Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315804N
1021831W

 

USGS

North Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314815N
1022344W

 

USGS

Northeast Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315838N
1024107W

 

USGS

Northside Church

TX

Ector

church

315328N
1022316W

 

USGS

Northwest Lake

TX

Ector

lake

315929N
1023344W

 

USGS

Northwest Well

TX

Ector

well

315717N
1024448W

 

USGS

Northwest Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315759N
1023311W

 

USGS

Notrees

TX

Ector

pop place

315502N
1024519W

Located 22 miles northwest of Odessa, Texas, on State Highway 302 in western Ector County. The community developed after the discovery of oil in TXL Field on 31 December 1944. The community was known at various times as Caprock, TXL, and Strawberry before Charles E. Brown, a local merchant, petitioned for a post office and selected the descriptive name of Notrees. Reportedly, the town had one native tree before it was destroyed in the construction of a gasoline plant by Shell Oil Company. The post office opened 04 December 1946 and Brown served as the first postmaster. At that time the town consisted of two cafes, one gas station, two welding shops, Brown's grocery store, three company houses, and 85 people. The area thrived as new horizons were added to TXL Field in the 1950s and Notrees continued to serve the oil industry as those horizons were developed in the 1960s and 1970s. Population remained at 85 until 1966 when 338 residents were reported. Over the years, Notrees was the site for ten oil company camps, a grade school, and a recreation hall. The number of businesses fluctuated from seven in the late 1950s to one in the mid-1980s. By the 1980s oil companies abandoned company camps that had provided housing for employees and their families. With improved roads and good transportation, workers were able to live in Odessa and drive to work in Notrees. In 1998 Notrees had many trees, but was still closely tied to oil production. At that time it reported a population of 338, served by four businesses and its post office (zip code 79759). Sources: State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, General Highway Map of Ector County, Texas, revised 01 Nov 1986; Wylene Kirk, “Early Post Offices and Towns in the Permian Basin Area,” in The Texas Permian Historical Annual 1:1 (Aug 1961), 11-21; Robert L. Phifer, Petroleum Review: Ector County, Texas (Houston: Phifer Petroleum Publications, 1955), 8-13; Kathleen E. St. Clair and Clifton R. St. Clair, Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, TX: by authors, 1982), 657-658; 1947-1948 Texas Almanac, page 144 listed Notrees for first time; 1949-1950 Texas Almanac, 116; 1956-1957 Texas Almanac, 150; 1966-1967 Texas Almanac, 150; 1980-1981 Texas Almanac, 202; 1984-1985 Texas Almanac, 361; 1998-1999 Texas Almanac, 311; John Clements, Flying the Colors: Texas Facts, 5th ed. (Dallas: Clements Research, Inc., 1988), 218.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Number One Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314620N
1024312W

 

USGS

Number Two Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314620N
1023745W

 

USGS

Odessa

TX

Ector

pop place

315044N
1022202W

 

USGS

Odessa College

TX

Ector

school

315158N
1022251W

 

USGS

Odessa Country Club

TX

Ector

locale

315316N
1021720W

 

USGS

Odessa Meteor Crater

TX

Ector

crater

314521N
1022842W

 

USGS

Odessa-Schlemeyer Field

TX

Ector

airport

315514N
1022313W

 

USGS

Old Buchanan Ranch

TX

Ector

locale

315007N
1023518W

 

USGS

Old Burkett Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315439N
1023205W

 

USGS

Old Johnson Well

TX

Ector

well

315027N
1023436W

 

USGS

Old South Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315403N
1024115W

 

USGS

Pacifie Road Church

TX

Ector

church

315040N
1022433W

 

USGS

Pear Tree Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315649N
1021846W

 

USGS

Pease School

TX

Ector

school

315116N
1022411W

 

USGS

Penwell

TX

Ector

pop place

314423N
1023528W

 

USGS

Penwell Church

TX

Ector

church

314325N
1023557W

 

USGS

Permian High School

TX

Ector

school

315313N
1022126W

 

USGS

Plover Lake

TX

Ector

lake

315742N
1023245W

 

USGS

Polyantha Park

TX

Ector

park

315223N
1022231W

 

USGS

Prairie Dog Lake

TX

Ector

lake

315737N
1023208W

 

USGS

Prairie Dog Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314204N
1022610W

 

USGS

Prairie Home

TX

Ector

vanished community

unknown

Was located 23 miles southwest of Odessa, Texas, and less than two miles north of the Crane County line in southwestern Ector County. The community began as a section house on the Texas & Pacific railroad when its tracks were extended into the county in 1881. H. C. Anderson requested a post office at Prairie Home in 1908, stating that it was to supply about 75 community residents. His petition mentioned the expected arrival of other settlers who would increase the number of post office patrons. On 15 January 1909 the post office opened and Anderson became the first postmaster. Prairie Home continued as a post office until 30 April 1913 when the office was moved to Judkins, Texas, about ten miles to the northeast and also on the railroad. Apparently, the expected new settlers never came and the community faded into oblivion. Sources: Odessa, Texas (n.p.: Texas Permian Historical Society, 1961), map on page 3 shows early communities of Ector County; State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, General Highway Map of Ector County, Texas, revised 01 Nov 1986; Wylene Kirk, “Early Post Offices and Towns in the Permian Basin Area,” in The Texas Permian Historical Annual 1:1 (Aug 1961), 11-21; Charles P. Zlatkovich, Texas Railroads: A Record of Construction and Abandonment (Austin: UT and TSHA, 1981), 91; 1912 Texas Almanac, 103; listed Prairie Home in Ector County, but gave no population; Charles Deaton, Texas Postal History Handbook (Houston: by author, 1980), 132.

USGS
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Prairie Home Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

313939N
1024428W

 

USGS

Progressive Park

TX

Ector

park

315107N
1022155W

 

USGS

Ratliff Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

315753N
1022204W

 

USGS

Ratliff Ranch

TX

Ector

locale

315719N
1022109W

 

USGS

Reagen School

TX

Ector

school

315216N
1022051W

 

USGS

Red Lakes

TX

Ector

lake

314723N
1024105W

 

USGS

Red Tank

TX

Ector

reservoir

315129N
1024421W

 

USGS

Registered Pasture Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315419N
1023546W

 

USGS

Rich Uncle Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320107N
1023700W

 

USGS

Rock Hill Shopping Center

TX

Ector

locale

315130N
1022131W

 

USGS

Rodman Ranch

TX

Ector

locale

314351N
1022300W

 

USGS

Ross School

TX

Ector

school

315334N
1022217W

 

USGS

Royalty Park

TX

Ector

park

315124N
1022051W

 

USGS

Rusk School

TX

Ector

school

315016N
1022203W

 

USGS

Saint Asbury Church

TX

Ector

church

315241N
1022016W

 

USGS

Saint Johns Church

TX

Ector

church

315017N
1022318W

 

USGS

Saint Lukes Church

TX

Ector

church

315315N
1022150W

 

USGS

San Houston School

TX

Ector

school

315240N
1022247W

 

USGS

San Jacino Park

TX

Ector

park

315126N
1022334W

 

USGS

San Jacinto School

TX

Ector

school

315123N
1022325W

 

USGS

Sand Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314429N
1024549W

 

USGS

Scharbauer City

TX

Ector

pop place

320125N
1022548W

Located 1.5 miles west of Gardendale, Texas, at the intersection of State Highway 158 and U. S. Highway 285 in northeastern Ector County. It was named for a local ranching family and developed before 1947 after the opening of several oil fields in northern Ector County. From 1949 through 1958 the community reported a population of 20 and one business. After 1960 and through 1998 the population remained at 20, but the store had closed. No school or post office was found at Scharbauer City. Sources: State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, General Highway Map of Ector County, Texas, revised 01 Nov 1986; Gardendale, Tex, USGS 7.5 topographical map, 1968; Robert L. Phifer, Petroleum Review: Ector County, Texas (Houston: Phifer Petroleum Publications, 1955), 8-13; 1947-1948 Texas Almanac, 146; 1961-62 Texas Almanac, 215; 1998-99 Texas Almanac, 314; John Clements, Flying the Colors: Texas Facts, 5th ed. (Dallas: Clements Research II, Inc., 1988), 218, did not list Scharbauer City among the unincorporated communities of Ector County.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Sheep Camp Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

313925N
1021853W

 

USGS

Sherwood Park

TX

Ector

park

315328N
1022224W

 

USGS

Sherwood Shopping Center

TX

Ector

locale

315310N
1022217W

 

USGS

Shipping Pasture Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314904N
1022109W

 

USGS

Sid Richardson

TX

Ector

locale

314636N
1022948W

 

USGS

Simms Tank

TX

Ector

reservoir

313946N
1022721W

 

USGS

Simms Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314045N
1022731W

 

USGS

Six Section Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315243N
1023607W

 

USGS

Six Section Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320335N
1024008W

 

USGS

Slator Ranch

TX

Ector

locale

315610N
1024309W

 

USGS

Smith Chapel

TX

Ector

vanished community

unknown

Was located at an unknown point about twelve miles northwest of Odessa, Texas, in central Ector County. It was the setting for a school and a union church, as implied by its name. In 1906 R. W. Smith and Teague Baker, who owned adjoining ranches in Ector County, determined to provide a school for their community and built an 8-foot-by-10-foot one-room school in Baker’s pasture. They hired a teacher for $15 per month, with room and board. In 1908 the two men built a larger school at the cost of $450, but they needed funding to maintain it and decided to turn their ranch school into a public one. The two ranchers and an unidentified cowboy signed a petition for the organization of Baker School District to the county commissioners and held the required election for trustees. They opened the polls from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m., but only the three of them came to vote. When they closed the voting, they announced themselves elected trustees and returned the papers to the courthouse the following day. The ungraded school at Smith Chapel in Baker School District No. 5 enrolled only five students with one teacher for a 160-day term in 1907-1908. In 1908-1909 term, the ungraded school had 12 pupils and one teacher. The school continued to hold sessions until 1921 when all Ector County school districts were consolidated into one district with one school in Odessa. No post office existed at Smith Chapel, Texas. Sources: Ed Bartholomew, The Encyclopedia of Texas Ghost Towns (Ft. Davis: Privately published, 1982), 96; State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, General Highway Map of Ector County, Texas, revised 01 Nov 1986, labeled the Smith triangulation point, east of Farm Road 1936 and west of U.S. Loop 385; Tracy Byers, “History of Education in Ector County,” Odessa, Texas (n.p.: Texas Permian Historical Society, 1961), 21-23; Charles Deaton, Texas Postal History Handbook (Houston: by author, 1980), 179.

USGS
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Solo

TX

Ector

locale

315248N
1021750W

 

USGS

South Burkett Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315319N
1023103W

 

USGS

South Cowden Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

314437N
1022555W

 

USGS

South Cowden Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

314603N
1022414W

 

USGS

South Cowden Ranch

TX

Ector

locale

314208N
1021833W

 

USGS

South Kelly Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314221N
1022150W

 

USGS

South Side Community Park

TX

Ector

park

315000N
1022158W

 

USGS

South Well

TX

Ector

well

315611N
1022151W

 

USGS

South Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314722N
1022327W

 

USGS

South Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320034N
1023436W

 

USGS

South Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315728N
1022753W

 

USGS

South Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315957N
1024158W

 

USGS

Southeast Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315602N
1021948W

 

USGS

Southwest Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315415N
1024302W

 

USGS

Steel Rim Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314523N
1023906W

 

USGS

Steel Tower Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320423N
1022553W

 

USGS

Sunset Memorial Gardens

TX

Ector

cemetery

315308N
1021752W

 

USGS

Sweetwater Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314013N
1022848W

 

USGS

T X L Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

315439N
1024431W

 

USGS

Terry Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320229N
1024409W

 

USGS

Three Section Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320347N
1023900W

 

USGS

Town And Country Shopping Center

TX

Ector

locale

315234N
1022055W

 

USGS

Travis School

TX

Ector

school

314953N
1022133W

 

USGS

Turnbaugh Corner

TX

Ector

pop place

315847N
1024056W

 

USGS

Ward Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320252N
1022856W

 

USGS

West Buchanan Well

TX

Ector

well

315007N
1023703W

 

USGS

West Burkett Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315307N
1023308W

 

USGS

West Eight Section Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314342N
1021912W

 

USGS

West Nine Section Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314547N
1022012W

 

USGS

West Park Church

TX

Ector

church

315055N
1022355W

 

USGS

West Pasture Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314750N
1022216W

 

USGS

West Section Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315658N
1021943W

 

USGS

West Williams Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314036N
1021753W

 

USGS

West Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

313942N
1022017W

 

USGS

West Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

314252N
1022411W

 

USGS

West Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315521N
1024301W

 

USGS

West Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315737N
1023341W

 

USGS

West Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

315925N
1022827W

 

USGS

West Windmill

TX

Ector

locale

320037N
1021837W

 

USGS

Westridge Church

TX

Ector

church

315046N
1022846W

 

USGS

White Horse Tank

TX

Ector

reservoir

315021N
1024644W

 

USGS

Willow Well

TX

Ector

well

315602N
1022917W

 

USGS

Willow Well

TX

Ector

well

320006N
1021759W

 

USGS

Windmill Number Eight

TX

Ector

locale

320401N
1022023W

 

USGS

Windmill Number Nine

TX

Ector

locale

320326N
1022342W

 

USGS

Windmill Number Seven

TX

Ector

locale

320418N
1021810W

 

USGS

Windmill Number Sixtyeight

TX

Ector

locale

320251N
1022146W

 

USGS

Windmill Number Twelve

TX

Ector

locale

320408N
1022748W

 

USGS

Windmill Number Twentythree

TX

Ector

locale

320159N
1022647W

 

USGS

Wolford Well

TX

Ector

well

315306N
1022733W

 

USGS

Woodson Park

TX

Ector

park

315035N
1022100W

 

USGS

Yarbrough Allen Oil Field

TX

Ector

oilfield

314051N
1024419W

 

USGS

Zavala School

TX

Ector

school

314953N
1022239W

......................................................................................

USGS.............................................................

 

Back to Texas Counties Index

14 May 2007