Texas Landmarks - Loving County

TXGenWeb Project

Loving County - TXGenWeb County Index

Loving County, Texas - Index of Landmarks & Vanished Communities

Tips on using this index:

1.     Scroll or use your browser "find" function to search this Index for a particular feature name or location.

2.     Copy the Latitude and Longitude of your selected feature on a piece of paper for later reference. ( 311613N is 31° 16’ 13”  and 0953747W is 95° 37’ 47” – drop the leading 0  )

3.     Click on the name of the feature to view a map of the county. (Features submitted by other than USGS will appear immediately and no more action on you part to locate your feature.)

4.     Note that as you move the cursor across the map that the latitude and longitude of the cursor is given in boxes on the left side of the page.

5.     Move the cursor to display the latitude and longitude you recorded in step 2, and then left click. This click will center your selected feature in the center of the map. This is the location of your selected feature. If the copied lat & long is given in decimal degrees (31.78923) select DD.DD in the coordinates box directly under the Lat & long boxes.

6.     Note that you can Zoom In or out by clicking on the Zoom  + or at the bottom of the map, and that clicking on the red corner markers move the entire map.

7.     Items submitted by sources other than the USGS show approximate locations only. They have not been surveyed but usually are given to editor as verbal or written descriptions.

  1. Locations of creeks & streams are given at the mouth of the creek or stream, i.e. where it joins a larger stream.

     How to Add Landmarks or Features to These Pages or Submit Corrections.

 

 

Feature Name

St

County Name

Type

Latitude
Longitude

Description

Submitters Name
E-mail address

Alcatraz

TX

Loving

island

315803N
1035618W

 

USGS

Beacon Light Lake

TX

Loving

lake

314721N
1033409W

 

USGS

Beacon Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

314756N
1032105W

 

USGS

Big Boy Well

TX

Loving

well

315234N
1033628W

 

USGS

Big Tank

TX

Loving

lake

314955N
1034734W

 

USGS

Boyd Ranch

TX

Loving

locale

315816N
1035051W

 

USGS

Boyd Well

TX

Loving

well

315843N
1034816W

 

USGS

Brookfield Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

314705N
1032435W

 

USGS

Brunson Ranch

TX

Loving

locale

315643N
1032839W

 

USGS

Bryant Wells

TX

Loving

well

315650N
1033452W

 

USGS

Burro Trap

TX

Loving

area

315222N
1035241W

 

USGS

Chapman Well

TX

Loving

well

315410N
1033242W

 

USGS

Cheyenne Draw

TX

Loving

valley

315858N
1031814W

 

USGS

Clifton Tank

TX

Loving

reservoir

315515N
1034041W

 

USGS

Double Well

TX

Loving

well

315621N
1034920W

 

USGS

East Tunstill Oil Field

TX

Loving

oilfield

315042N
1034707W

 

USGS

East Well

TX

Loving

well

315648N
1033718W

 

USGS

El Mar Oil Field

TX

Loving

oilfield

315822N
1033836W

 

USGS

El Mar Oil Field

TX

Loving

oilfield

320021N
1033821W

 

USGS

Gillespie Tank

TX

Loving

reservoir

315224N
1033210W

 

USGS

Gilliland Tank

TX

Loving

reservoir

314927N
1033156W

 

USGS

Goodrich Ranch

TX

Loving

locale

314004N
1033609W

 

USGS

Grice Oil Field

TX

Loving

oilfield

315505N
1033653W

 

USGS

Gyp Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

315346N
1034658W

 

USGS

Hackberry Tank

TX

Loving

reservoir

315352N
1034108W

 

USGS

High Lonesome Well

TX

Loving

well

314453N
1032959W

 

USGS

Highway Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

314715N
1035315W

 

USGS

Humble Well

TX

Loving

well

314054N
1032915W

 

USGS

Indian Springs Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

315943N
1032930W

 

USGS

Juanita

TX

Loving

vanished community

unknown

See Porterville, Texas. Some Porterville residents in 1914 were Tod Barber, cattle breeder; F. Y. Bell, cattle breeder; V. Brookfield, horse breeder; W. M. Brookfield, cattle breeder; K. Hartson, horse and mule breeder; Joseph Hudgens, cattle breeder; Albert Kyle, horse and mule breeder; J. B. McGuire, cattle breeders; Wm S. Newton, General Repair Shop; George D. Prindle, general store and lumber; W. Ross, cattle breeder; J. Schooter, horse and mule breeder; C. B. Scott, hotel. Source: Polk's Texas State Gazetteer and Business Dirctory 1914-1915, p. 745

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Kyle Ranch

TX

Loving

locale

315648N
1034230W

 

USGS

Lake Well

TX

Loving

well

315451N
1034217W

 

USGS

Lehman Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

315219N
1032154W

 

USGS

Lehman Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

315451N
1032620W

 

USGS

Lindley Ranch

TX

Loving

locale

314913N
1034130W

 

USGS

Lineberry Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

315101N
1032414W

 

USGS

Little Tank

TX

Loving

lake

314658N
1035551W

 

USGS

Loving County

TX

Loving

civil

314400N
1033300W

 

USGS

Malone Well

TX

Loving

well

315822N
1033319W

 

USGS

Mentone

TX

Loving

pop place

314218N
1033556W

 

USGS

Meridian Oil Field

TX

Loving

oilfield

314313N
1032428W

 

USGS

Miller Wells

TX

Loving

well

315344N
1033431W

 

USGS

Moorehead Ranch

TX

Loving

locale

314124N
1033439W

 

USGS

New Well

TX

Loving

well

313955N
1032056W

 

USGS

New Well

TX

Loving

well

314940N
1033348W

 

USGS

New Well

TX

Loving

well

315411N
1033914W

 

USGS

Nine Section Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

314841N
1035244W

 

USGS

North Mason Oil Field

TX

Loving

oilfield

320021N
1034407W

 

USGS

North Pipeline Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

315508N
1032256W

 

USGS

North Tank

TX

Loving

reservoir

315955N
1034554W

 

USGS

North Well

TX

Loving

well

315903N
1034119W

 

USGS

North Well

TX

Loving

well

315949N
1034516W

 

USGS

North Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

315037N
1034427W

 

USGS

Pemm Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

314810N
1032405W

 

USGS

Pipeline Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

315320N
1032119W

 

USGS

Porterville

TX

Loving

vanished community

unknown

Was located 25 miles northwest of Pecos, Texas, on the east bank of the Pecos River in the southwestern corner of Loving County and was first called Juanita by its residents. In 1905 E. L. Stratton, founder of Stratton Land Company of Chicago, sponsored an excursion train to West Texas for prospective buyers of irrigated land. Traveling along the tracks of the Pecos Valley railroad and on the west bank of the river, many of the passengers were impressed with land east of the river in Loving County. Dr. Phil Porter, a physician from Michigan and a believer in the health benefits of the Southwest, was among the travelers. He agreed to head a colony for the land company and to serve as the area doctor. To attract settlers and to inflate the price of farm land, Stratton formed Porterville Ditch Company and contracted with S. V. Briggs, B. T. Briggs, and H. R. Templeton to build an irrigation ditch three miles north of the community to bring water to 10,000 acres of Loving County land. In 1908 settlers held pie suppers and dances to raise money for the construction of a school and union church building. In March 1909 the school opened and Celinda Newton became the first teacher. Juanita was granted a post office on 19 November 1909 with William T. Richie as postmaster. The post office kept the name of Juanita until 21 February 1910 when it was changed to Porterville. At one time Porterville was served by a boarding house, hotel, blacksmith, cobbler shop, doctor’s office, lumber yard, land office, and two general stores. Porterville was connected by a bridge across the river to the Reeves County town of Arno, a depot of the Pecos Valley railroad, allowing access to shipping and passenger services. However, Porterville never succeed as an irrigated farming community because of the inability of irrigation promoters to keep their promises. Some settlers paid as much as $150 per acre for land only to see competing irrigation promoters build dams and place unrealistic demands on the limited supply of river water. In 1909 twelve farms, totaling 1,040 acres of irrigated land, were cultivated at Porterville. By 1913 only 600 acres could be irrigated and people began to move away from their bad investments. By 1923 the river sank even lower, reaching the saline stage. By 1925 oil production began in Loving County and in 1931 a new town, called Mentone, was built two miles northeast of Porterville. The school and church building and the post office were moved from Porterville to Mentone. Although Porterville had been the only town in the county over three decades, it lost out to Mentone and its residents migrated gradually to the new town. However, E. L. Stratton kept his home in Porterville until his death in 1953. Sources: Robert W. Dunn, “The History of Loving County, Texas” in West Texas Historical Association Year Book (1948), 93-119; Wylene Kirk, “Early Post Offices and Towns in the Permian Basin Area,” in The Texas Permian Historical Annual 1:1 (Aug 1961), 18; Sue Navarro, “Four Square Miles Per Man, Loving County, Texas,” in The Texas Permian Historical Annual 4 (Dec 1964), 9-19; Ellen Goodrich, “A Second Look at Loving County,” The Permian Historical Annual 7 (Dec 1967), 9-14; Celinda Newton Whittum, “To Whom It May Concern,” Handwritten note attached to the front of the teacher’s register, Copy given to Writer by Mary Belle Jones, Loving County Clerk, 16 June 1989, Mentone, TX; Mary Belle Jones, Interview by Writer, 16 June 1989, Mentone, TX; Charles Deaton, Texas Postal History Handbook (Houston: by author, 1980), 109, 119, 210;Robert L. Phifer, Petroleum Review, Reeves, Loving and Culberson Counties, Texas (Houston: Phifer Petroleum Publications, 1958), 6.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Porterville Pumping Station

TX

Loving

locale

314300N
1033532W

 

USGS

Rattlesnake Well

TX

Loving

well

315820N
1033822W

 

USGS

Red Bluff Cove

TX

Loving

bay

315948N
1035724W

 

USGS

Red Tank Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

313908N
1032728W

 

USGS

Rocky Point

TX

Loving

cape

315456N
1035426W

 

USGS

Rondo Well

TX

Loving

well

314607N
1033433W

 

USGS

Rudd Draw

TX

Loving

valley

314345N
1033041W

 

USGS

Rudd Well

TX

Loving

well

315012N
1033018W

 

USGS

Sand Bend Draw

TX

Loving

valley

314801N
1035237W

 

USGS

Sand Bend Tank

TX

Loving

lake

314626N
1035655W

 

USGS

Seeping Springs Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

315655N
1032020W

 

USGS

Shallow Water Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

314759N
1032732W

 

USGS

Sixes Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

315459N
1032022W

 

USGS

Slash Ranch

TX

Loving

locale

314943N
1033554W

 

USGS

South Tank

TX

Loving

lake

314646N
1035859W

 

USGS

South Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

314719N
1034255W

 

USGS

South Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

315634N
1032341W

 

USGS

Tarbottom Well

TX

Loving

well

315830N
1033048W

 

USGS

Tucker Draw

TX

Loving

valley

315938N
1035556W

 

USGS

Tunstill Oil Field

TX

Loving

oilfield

315336N
1034933W

 

USGS

Twin Windmills

TX

Loving

locale

315007N
1032229W

 

USGS

Two Freds Oil Field

TX

Loving

oilfield

313926N
1032848W

 

USGS

West Brookfield Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

314543N
1032928W

 

USGS

West Camp Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

314711N
1035459W

 

USGS

West Lehman Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

314924N
1032850W

 

USGS

West Well

TX

Loving

well

315543N
1034611W

 

USGS

West Windmill

TX

Loving

locale

315003N
1032427W

 

USGS

Wheat Oil Field

TX

Loving

oilfield

314301N
1033535W

 

USGS

Wheat Ranch

TX

Loving

locale

314128N
1033035W

 

USGS

Wheat Well

TX

Loving

well

314518N
1033642W

 

USGS

White Elephant Tank

TX

Loving

reservoir

315940N
1033141W

 

USGS

White Mule Well

TX

Loving

well

314839N
1033723W

 

USGS

Wilkie Well

TX

Loving

well

315546N
1033305W

 

USGS

Windmill Number Two

TX

Loving

locale

314308N
1032008W

 

USGS

Woody

TX

Loving

vanished community

unknown

Woody, Texas, a vanished community, was located 30 miles northwest of Pecos, Texas, at the headquarters of W Ranch in north central Loving County. A post office opened at Woody on 1 April 1910 and Sarah E. Hunt was postmaster. The post office closed 30 December 1911 and the building was moved to Arno, Texas. The community was named for Fannin Woodyard [Woody] Johnson, the leading partner in a business association with his brothers, W. D. and J. L. The Johnsons, who were bankers and merchants in Pecos, Reeves County, Texas, purchased W Ranch from Continental Land and Cattle Company in 1893. The brothers built an unusually large ranching operation of 1,200 sections of land in Loving, Ward, and Winkler counties by 1910, when West Texas was hit by a deep drought. Forced to decrease their holdings, the Johnsons sold W Ranch to John Z. Means of Valentine in 1912. No evidence of the existence of Woody, Texas, was found in 1990. Sources: Robert W. Dunn, “The History of Loving County, Texas” in West Texas Historical Association Year Book (1948), 93-119; Wylene Kirk, “Early Post Offices and Towns in the Permian Basin Area,” in The Texas Permian Historical Annual 1:1 (Aug 1961), 18; Alton Hughes, Pecos: A History of the Pioneer West (Seagraves: Pioneer Book Pub., 1978), 275-277; Charles Deaton, Texas Postal History Handbook (Houston: by author, 1980), 155; 1912 Texas Almanac, 105; Writer’s observation.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Yantis Ranch

TX

Loving

locale

314613N
1031937W

......................................................................................

USGS..............................................

Index

22 May 2007