Texas Landmarks - Midland County

TXGenWeb Project

Midland County - TXGenWeb County Index

Midland County, Texas - Index of Landmarks & Vanished Communities

Tips on using this index:

·  1. Scroll or use your browser "find" function to search this Index for a particular name or location.

·  2. Click on "Feature Name" to view a map of the location (U.S. Census Bureau's Tiger Map Server). Click on "Zoom In" to view a more detailed map. You may have to Zoom In several times to get the details of the location.

·  3. Items submitted by USGS will first go to a tabular list of information. To view the map click on "Show feature Location". Items submitted by others will go directly to the map.

·  4. Items submitted by sources other than the USGS show approximate locations only. They have not been surveyed but usually are given to editor as verbal or written descriptions.

·  5. Locations of creeks & streams are given at the mouth of the creek or stream, i.e. where it joins a larger stream.

How to Add Landmarks or Features to These Pages or Submit Corrections.

 

Feature Name

St

County Name

Type

Latitude
Longitude

Description

Submitters Name
E-mail address

Vanished Communities Map

TX

Midland

vanished community

none

Link to Map of Midland County Communities

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Airport Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315702N
1021353W

 

USGS

Alamo Heights Church

TX

Midland

church

315950N
1020807W

 

USGS

Alamo Junior High School

TX

Midland

school

315938N
1020749W

 

USGS

Alamo Park

TX

Midland

park

315933N
1020758W

 

USGS

Anson Jones School

TX

Midland

school

315857N
1020836W

 

USGS

Austin Junior High School

TX

Midland

school

320130N
1020353W

 

USGS

Antelope School

TX

Midland

vanished school

unknown

A public school operated at this rural community called Antelope in 1910, 1911, and 1912 with five teachers. Community was named for the game hunted in Midland County from 1875 to 1885. Neither cemetery nor post office existed in the community. Exact location cannot be pinpointed. Sources: County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum, Midland TX; Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Com., 1984), 53; Jim Fenton, "Lum Medlin: Unherald Staked Plains Antelope Hunter," The Permian Historical Annual 28 (1988), 65-73.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Azalea Oil Field

TX

Midland

oilfield

315632N
1015511W

 

USGS

Barnhart Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314011N
1021310W

 

USGS

Bates Field

TX

Midland

airport

315000N
1021401W

 

USGS

Benge Corner

TX

Midland

pop place

314250N
1020034W

lLocated at a point one mile South of Johnson Draw at the intersection of Farm Road 1787 and State Highway 349 in southern Midland County. Sources: Writer's observation.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Big Biz Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315835N
1021200W

 

USGS

Bonham School

TX

Midland

school

315943N
1020743W

 

USGS

Boone

TX

Midland

vanished community

unknown

Was a rural community in Northeastern Midland County, located thirteen miles south of Stanton, Martin County,Texas. A public school was established at Boone, Texas, by 1910. Children of the Sam Woody family attended Boone School in 1914. Sunday School and church services were held at the community school house in the years between 1910 and 1923. K. S. Boone, who acquired the cattle brand of Charles A. McClintic on 10 January 1914, lived in Boone community and the community may have been named for him. The building that housed Boone School and the church meetings blew down in a storm in 1923, leaving the community without a focus. Neither cemetery nor post office existed at Boone, Texas. Sources: Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 29, 53, 121; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Boone Ranch

TX

Midland

locale

315657N
1014732W

 

USGS

Bounce

TX

Midland

pop place

315709N
1020933W

An unincorporated community located two miles Northeast of Midland International Airport on U. S. Highway 80 and the Missouri Pacific railroad in west central Midland County. No cemetery or post office exists at Bounce, Texas. Sources: USGS, GNIS; State Department of Highways and Public Transporation, General Map of Midland County, revised 1986; Writer's Observation.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith

Bowie School

TX

Midland

school

320039N
1020512W

 

USGS

Boxcar Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314738N
1020918W

 

USGS

Brown Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314717N
1015209W

 

USGS

Bryant Ranch

TX

Midland

locale

314932N
1020205W

 

USGS

Bryant Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315406N
1020216W

 

USGS

Bull Head Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314010N
1021451W

 

USGS

Bull Pasture Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315449N
1021426W

 

USGS

Bull Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314718N
1015455W

 

USGS

Bunche School

TX

Midland

school

315933N
1020319W

 

USGS

Burnet School

TX

Midland

school

315837N
1020725W

 

USGS

Camp Pasture Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315005N
1021048W

 

USGS

Carver High School

TX

Midland

school

315957N
1020331W

 

USGS

Cement Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314831N
1015736W

 

USGS

China Grove

TX

Midland

vanished recreational area

315349N
1021030W

See China Mott, TX.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

China Mott

TX

Midland

vanished recreational area

unknown

Also known as China Grove, Texas, was a recreational area located at a point fifteen miles southwest of Midland, Texas, in west central Midland County. The shade trees. watered by the windmill on the dry prairie, provided a popular picnic setting for early Midland County residents. Since this was not an inhabited area, there was no post office or cemetery. Sources: Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 58; USGS,GNIS.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

China Mott Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315349N
1021030W

 

USGS

Chub

TX

Midland

pop place

320126N
1020108W

An unincorporated community in northeastern Midland County. The community has never had a school, post office, or cemetery. Sources: USGS, GNIS; State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, General Map of Midland County, revised 1986; Writer's Observation.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Chuck Houston Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314807N
1020915W

 

USGS

Cloverdale

TX

Midland

vanished recreational area

315950N
1020027W

Was located east of Midland, Texas, on Cloverdale Farm, where Cole Park now stands, in Northeastern Midland County. The early recreational area was created before 1914 when Henry Halff, owner of the Quien Sabe Ranch, built a pavilion beside one of his water tanks. People came to the spot to swim, dance, and picnic. Since this was not an inhabited area, neither post office nor cemetery existed at Cloverdale. In 1998 only a road by that name existed. Source: Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland County Historical Commission, 1984), 7. 82-83, 104, Midland Chamber of Commerce, City of Midland Map, revised 1990; Quien Sabe Ranch File, Midland County Museum, Midland, TX.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Cole Park

TX

Midland

park

315950N
1020027W

 

USGS

Consavvy Lake

TX

Midland

lake

315408N
1015801W

 

USGS

Corner Windmill

TX

Midland

pop place

315001N
1020914W

 

USGS

Cotton Flat

TX

Midland

pop place

315544N
1020334W

An unincorporated community located 3.5 miles South of Midland, Texas, on State Highway 349 in central Midland County. The community began around 1910 when Henry Mayer Halff broke up his large Quien Sabe Ranch and divided it into family farms. Although the community had no name, it organized a school district by 1911 and erected a building that was also used for Sunday School and preaching. Lula Countiss taught school there in 1911. Reportedly, she and her sister selected the name Cotton Flat by drawing from submitted names that were placed in a hat. Cotton Flat School consolidated with Midland Independent School District in the 1940s. In 1998 Cotton Flat, Texas, consisted of a number of residences, a Baptist church and parsonage, and a grocery store. No post office or cemetery has ever existed at Cotton Flat community. Sources: USGS, GNIS; State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, General Map of Midland County, revised 1986; Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, Texas 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 19-21; 53, 69, 85; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum, Midland, TX; Writer's Observation.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Cotton Flat Church

TX

Midland

church

315455N
1020317W

 

USGS

County Line

TX

Midland

vanished community

unknown

The rural community of County Line was located in western Midland County, near the Ector County line. A public school was built there by the fall of 1913, but the building later burned. Neither post office nor cemetery existed at County Line. Sources: County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum; Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co, Hist. Com., 1984), 53.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Cowden Junior High School

TX

Midland

school

315956N
1020447W

 

USGS

Crawford Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315136N
1015702W

 

USGS

Crier Park

TX

Midland

park

315944N
1020525W

 

USGS

Crockett School

TX

Midland

school

320050N
1020417W

 

USGS

Curry

TX

Midland

vanished community

unknown

Was located south of Warfield, Texas, in West central Midland County. A public school was conducted in the rural community by 1912. The community was named for the Curry family who lived there. Neither post office nor cemetery existed at Curry, Texas. Sources: Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co, Hist. Com., 1984), 29, 32, 53; Midland Map Company, Ownership Map of Midland County, 1989.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Dameron City

TX

Midland

vanished community

unknown

Was located 1.5 miles [direction not known] from the original site of the post office at Midkiff, Texas, in Southeastern Midland County. It was established in 1911 by a promoter who bought on credit building materials from lumber yards in Midland to construct buildings. After two years the structures were unfinished and the promoter was out of money. He left the area in 1913 without paying the lumber yard owners and the community was abandoned. The lumber yard owners managed to reclaim some of their materials from the construction site. Dameron City, named for the promoter, operated a school from 1911 through 1913 in a building moved there from Midkiff, Texas. Neither post office nor cemetery existed at Dameron City, Texas. Sources: Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist.Com., 1984), 36, 55; H. Bailey Carroll, ed., The Handbook of Texas, Vol. 1 (Austin: The Texas State Historical Assn., 1952), 462.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Darty Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315416N
1021239W

 

USGS

De Zavala School

TX

Midland

school

320014N
1020355W

 

USGS

Dennis the Menace Park

TX

Midland

park

315926N
1020550W

 

USGS

Dog Town Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314217N
1021107W

 

USGS

Dora Roberts Oil Field

TX

Midland

oilfield

314842N
1021553W

 

USGS

Double Well Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314416N
1021559W

 

USGS

Dunagan Park

TX

Midland

park

315847N
1020351W

 

USGS

Dwight

TX

Midland

vanished community

unknown

Was located in northeastern Midland County between Midland Draw and Mustang Draw. Community was established in the early 1880s when ranchers used the open range to graze cattle. No village developed and no post office was opened. In 1948 residents of the community received their mail from Stanton, Martin County. No cemetery was found at Dwight. Sources: State Department of Highways and Public Transportation,General Highway Map of Midland County, revised 1986; H. Bailey Carroll, ed., The Handbook of Texas, Vol. 1 (Austin: The Texas State Historical Assn., 1952), 530.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Eagles Nest Gliderport

TX

Midland

airport

314100N
1021101W

 

USGS

East Hensley Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315015N
1020746W

 

USGS

East Holcomb Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315345N
1021338W

 

USGS

East Williams Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314049N
1021622W

 

USGS

East Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314308N
1020830W

 

USGS

East Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315755N
1021056W

 

USGS

East Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315145N
1021304W

 

USGS

Elkin Park

TX

Midland

park

315929N
1020500W

 

USGS

Emerson School

TX

Midland

school

320147N
1020711W

 

USGS

Episcopal Day School

TX

Midland

school

320108N
1020754W

 

USGS

Estes

TX

Midland

vanished community

unknown

Was located five miles South of Warfield in west central Midland County. A public school was located at Estes before the 1907-1908 term with twenty-three students and one teacher. Named for a local landowner, R. E. Estes, the school was still in operation in 1912. No post office and no cemetery existed at Estes, Texas. Sources: Texas State Historical Assn., unpublished chart of early West Texas schools, copy in Writer's file; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum; Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984).

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Fairview Cemetery

TX

Midland

cemetery

320045N
1020500W

 

USGS

Fannin School

TX

Midland

school

320105N
1020634W

 

USGS

Farm Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314928N
1014721W

 

USGS

Fasken Park

TX

Midland

park

320044N
1020621W

 

USGS

Feedlot Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315636N
1021459W

 

USGS

Fighting Hollow

TX

Midland

vanished community

unknown

Was a rural Midland County community that established a public school district by 1911. In 1945 Fighting Hollow School District consolidated with Midland Independent School District. No post office and no cemetery existed at Fighting Hollow, Texas. The geographic location of the community was not found. Sources: Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 53; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Fortyfive Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315155N
1015500W

 

USGS

Fortyfour Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315157N
1015659W

 

USGS

Franklin Ranch

TX

Midland

locale

315207N
1015758W

 

USGS

Frijol Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314300N
1021536W

 

USGS

Garrett Brown Park

TX

Midland

park

315902N
1020701W

 

USGS

Germania

TX

Midland

pop place

320353N
1015623W

An unincorporated farm community located eight miles northeast of Midland, Texas, and two miles south of the Martin County line, on Interstate 20 and the Missouri Pacific railroad in northeastern Midland County. The community began as a land promotion for the Texas and Pacific railroad, which offered land to prospective buyers who received free train trips to the area in 1883. Among the newcomers were a number of German-descent settlers who named the community in honor of their native land. In 1884 a post office opened at Germania, Texas, and continued until 1887. During World War I, when all things German were despised in the U. S., residents changed the name of the community to Paul and it was still listed as Paul in the 1947-1948 Texas Almanac. After World War I and in 1924, W. E. Jackson of Hillsboro, Texas, who exported cotton, bought land at Germania and used tenant farmers to work it. Six houses were built as homes for the tenant families. Jim Glass and his wife of Whitney, Texas, managed Jackson's property at Germania. Late in 1924, a store owned by Ector Thorton of Stanton, Texas, was opened at Germania and Grady Dawkins became manager. It operated as a company store with tenants buying supplies on credit and settling their accounts at harvest. Population of Germania, Texas, in 1933 (the height of the Great Depression) was ten. In 1948 the community consisted of twenty-five residents, two stores, and a section house. The last store closed in 1962. In 1996 population was listed as twenty-seven, but there was no listing for Germania, Texas, in 1998-1999 Texas Almanac. No school, church, or cemetery was found at Germania, Texas. Sources: USGS, GNIS; 1952-1953 Texas Almanac, 583; Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, Texas 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 36; Charles Deaton, Texas Postal History Handbook (Houston: by author, 1980), 99; H. Bailey Carroll, ed., The Handbook of Texas (Austin: The Texas State Historical Assn., 1952), 1:684; II:347; both volumes refer to the community as Paul, Texas; 1996-1997 Texas Almanac, 296.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Germania Oil Field

TX

Midland

oilfield

320007N
1015056W

 

USGS

Goddard Junior High School

TX

Midland

school

320147N
1020654W

 

USGS

Golden Acres Country Club

TX

Midland

locale

315411N
1021608W

 

USGS

Gowden Park

TX

Midland

park

320018N
1020634W

 

USGS

Grafa Park

TX

Midland

park

320036N
1020712W

 

USGS

Gray Well

TX

Midland

well

314638N
1015522W

 

USGS

Gray Well Draw

TX

Midland

valley

314813N
1015558W

 

USGS

Green Hill Park

TX

Midland

park

320231N
1020955W

 

USGS

Greenwood

TX

Midland

pop place

320139N
1015343W

An unincorporated farm community, is located eleven miles northeast of Midland, Texas, on State Highway 307 and Farm Road 1379 in northeastern Midland County. Farmers settled in the area as early as 1897. Greenwood Baptist Church was organized in 1907 in a vacant saloon at nearby Slaughter, Texas, and named for the Reverend Mr. Green and the Reverend Mr. Wood, the missionaries who led the church founding. John M. King, a charter member and deacon of the church, donated land and a building was erected in 1926. Greenwood Cemetery was laid out in the yard of Greenwood Baptist Church. [Survey of Greenwood Cemetery was published in The Thorny Trail 19:2 (Spring 1991), 87-95.] No school existed at Greenwood, Texas, until the school districts from the neighboring communities of Stokes, McClintic, and Prairie Lee combined to form Greenwood Independent School District in 1924. In 1998 Greenwood, Texas, was an active rural community with an accredited public school system, a volunteer fire department, three churches, two stores, a barber shop and 2,000 residents, who received their mail from Midland, Texas. Sources: USGS, GNIS; 1998-1999 Texas Almanac, 240,304; John Clements, Flying the Colors (Dallas: Clements Research II, Inc., 1988), 437; Nancy R. McKinley, The Pioneer History of Midland County, Texas, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 17-36, 76, 93, 96; Writer's Observation.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Haley Park

TX

Midland

park

315930N
1020533W

 

USGS

Halff Park

TX

Midland

park

315909N
1020422W

 

USGS

Hallanan Oil Field

TX

Midland

oilfield

315530N
1021551W

 

USGS

Headlee Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315824N
1021650W

 

USGS

Henderson Park

TX

Midland

park

315833N
1020811W

 

USGS

Henderson School

TX

Midland

school

315832N
1020819W

 

USGS

Hensley Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314934N
1020831W

 

USGS

Hi Estes Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314638N
1021126W

 

USGS

Hi Lonesome Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314618N
1015045W

 

USGS

Hidalgo Park

TX

Midland

park

320022N
1020345W

 

USGS

High Sky Girls Ranch

TX

Midland

locale

320043N
1021252W

 

USGS

Hill Park

TX

Midland

park

320013N
1020525W

 

USGS

Hill Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315132N
1014925W

 

USGS

Hogan Park

TX

Midland

park

320226N
1020407W

 

USGS

Holdover Trap Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315136N
1021705W

 

USGS

Horse Well

TX

Midland

well

320028N
1021706W

 

USGS

Houston School

TX

Midland

school

320001N
1020550W

 

USGS

Hutt Ranch

TX

Midland

locale

314756N
1015604W

 

USGS

Ingram

TX

Midland

vanished community

unknown

Was a rural Midland County community that established a public school district by the 1907-1908 term when twenty-nine students were taught by one teacher. It is assumed that the community was name for Frank Ingram, a successful Midland County rancher who lived south of Midland, Texas, in the 1880s and in Midland, Texas, during the 1920s. Neither post office nor cemetery existed at Ingram, Texas. Sources: Texas State Historical Association, unpublished chart of early West Texas schools, copy in Writer's file; Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 19, 53, 117.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Iraan Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314417N
1020945W

 

USGS

Jane Long School

TX

Midland

school

315858N
1020736W

 

USGS

Jeffs Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315438N
1021546W

 

USGS

KBAT-FM (Midland)

TX

Midland

tower

315730N
1020359W

 

USGS

KCHX-FM (Midland)

TX

Midland

tower

315453N
1015749W

 

USGS

KCRS-AM (Midland)

TX

Midland

tower

320410N
1020146W

 

USGS

Kennedy

TX

Midland

vanished community

unknown

Was a rural Midland County community that opened a public school by 1910. Its exact geographic location cannot now be determined. Neither post office nor cemetery was located at Kennedy, Texas. Sources: Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 53; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

KENT-FM (Odessa)

TX

Midland

tower

315127N
1021946W

 

USGS

KJBC-AM (Midland)

TX

Midland

tower

315855N
1020330W

 

USGS

KKKK-FM (Odessa)

TX

Midland

tower

314102N
1020708W

 

USGS

KMND-AM (Midland)

TX

Midland

tower

315749N
1020453W

 

USGS

KODM-FM (Odessa)

TX

Midland

tower

314740N
1021044W

 

USGS

KOYL-AM (Odessa)

TX

Midland

tower

314708N
1022215W

 

USGS

KOZA-AM (Odessa)

TX

Midland

tower

314952N
1022209W

 

USGS

KQRX-FM (Midland)

TX

Midland

tower

315949N
1020443W

 

USGS

KRIL-AM (Odessa)

TX

Midland

tower

314900N
1022100W

 

USGS

KWEL-AM (Midland)

TX

Midland

tower

315744N
1020407W

 

USGS

KWHU-FM (Midland)

TX

Midland

tower

315948N
1020441W

 

USGS

Lake Well Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315524N
1020848W

 

USGS

Lake Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314737N
1015316W

 

USGS

Lake Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314847N
1021223W

 

USGS

Lake Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314854N
1015006W

 

USGS

Lamar School

TX

Midland

school

315925N
1020648W

 

USGS

Lancaster Park

TX

Midland

park

315940N
1020725W

 

USGS

Largent Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315742N
1021256W

 

USGS

Last Chance Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314821N
1015108W

 

USGS

Lee High School

TX

Midland

school

320044N
1020744W

 

USGS

Little Star Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315126N
1021403W

 

USGS

Lloyd Park

TX

Midland

park

320026N
1020446W

 

USGS

McClintic

TX

Midland

vanished community

unknown

A community once located in central Midland County, founded a public school before 1912. The community was thought to be named for Charles A. McClintic, who registered a brand in Midland County in 1903 and ranched in northeastern Midland County. In 1924 schools at McClintic, Prairie Lee, and Stokes communities formed Greenwood Independent School District, which still operates. Although a post office never existed at McClintic, Texas, a cemetery was reportedly located there at a point now lost. Sources: Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 29,53,69,96,150; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Memorial Stadium

TX

Midland

locale

320007N
1020550W

 

USGS

Middle Pen Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315549N
1021525W

 

USGS

Middle West Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315236N
1020648W

 

USGS

Middle Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314911N
1014841W

 

USGS

Middle Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315615N
1021544W

 

USGS

Middle Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315247N
1020105W

 

USGS

Midkiff

TX

Midland

vanished community

unknown

Was located twenty miles South of Midland, Texas, in Southeastern Midland County on the ranch of John Rufus Midkiff. A post office was opened 12 May 1904 in the general store where it remained until 1906. At that time Midkiff sold the ranch and store to T. M. Cotton, who moved the post office to a shed on the front porch of his ranch home. His daughter, Ada, served as postmaster until the post office closed in 1911. No cemetery was located at Midkiff, Texas. After the discovery of oil in Midland County an oil camp called Midkiff was established in 1950 at a location different from the original Midkiff, but in the same part of the county. Sources: USGS topographical map, Midkiff, Tex.; State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, General Highway Map of Midland County, revised 1986; Charles Deaton, Texas Postal History Handbook (Houston: by author, 1980),120; Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist.Comm., 1984),36,96; Texas Almanac 1928, map on the back cover shows the location of Midkiff, Texas; Ed Bartholomew, The Encyclopedia of Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis: Privately published, 1982), 67.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Midkiff Camp

TX

Midland

locale

314103N
1015227W

 

USGS

Midland

TX

Midland

pop place

315950N
1020439W

Midland is the county seat. Designated as a section house on the Texas & Pacific railroad in 1881, it was first called Midway because it was geographically halfway between Fort Worth, Texas, and El Paso, Texas. Midland developed as a farm and ranch supply center. In 1884 a post office opened in Midland, Texas. On 28 February 1885 Midland County was formed from Tom Green County. By 1904 one public school existed in Midland, Texas, but by 1910 nine public schools and fifteen teachers made up its system. Midland Christian College, a private two-year institution was sponsored by Texas Christian University at Midland in 1910. The campus consisted of a three-story building until it closed in 1921. Midland became an oil-exploration center in the 1930s. In 1998 the town had a population of 98,251 and thrived as shopping center, reaching residents of surrounding hinterlands. Midland County Public Library [301 W. Missouri Ave., Midland TX 79701 (915/688-8991)],which opened by 1910, houses Redfern Genealogical Research Center. Midland has three cemeteries. The gate of Fairview Cemetery stands at the intersection of Nobles and Pecos streets in north central Midland. [It has no attended office.] Resthaven Memorial Park is laid out at the northeastern corner of the intersection at State Highway 349 and Loop 250 on the northeastern edge of town. Valhalla Mausoleum is located two miles north of Resthaven on State Highway 349. [Resthaven Memorial Park & Mausoleum, Inc., 4616 N. Big Spring, Midland TX 79705 (915/684-5462)] Sources: USGS,GNIS; USGS 7.5 topo maps of NW Midland, Tex., SW Midland, Tex., SE Midland, Tex., and NE Midland, Tex; State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, General Map of Midland County, revised 1986; Charles Deaton, Texas Postal History Handbook (Houston: by author, 1980),120; Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, Texas 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984),13-14,54-56,106; Henry Gannett, A Gazetteer of Texas, Bulletin 224 (Washington: USGS, 1904),112; 1998-1999 Texas Almanac, 240;Southwestern Bell Midland/Midkiff Directory, 1997;Writer's Observation.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Midland Airpark

TX

Midland

airport

320208N
1020607W

 

USGS

Midland Country Club

TX

Midland

locale

320356N
1020543W

 

USGS

Midland County

TX

Midland

civil

315200N
1020300W

 

USGS

Midland County Park

TX

Midland

park

320046N
1020508W

 

USGS

Midland Draw

TX

Midland

valley

315432N
1014602W

 

USGS

Midland International Airport

TX

Midland

airport

315633N
1021206W

See Sloan Field.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Midland Sewage Disposal Ponds

TX

Midland

locale

315903N
1020008W

 

USGS

Midway

TX

Midland

populated place

315950N
1020439W

See Midland, TX.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Milam School

TX

Midland

school

315027N
1022108W

 

USGS

Milan School

TX

Midland

school

320141N
1020437W

 

USGS

Monahans Draw

TX

Midland

valley

315745N
1015313W

 

USGS

Montgomery

TX

Midland

vanished community

Unknown
Unknown

Rural community, was located at an unidentified point in South central Midland County. The community founded a public school before 1911. The date that the school was abandoned or consolidated was not found. Sources: Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 53; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Montgomery Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314816N
1020750W

 

USGS

Moore Park

TX

Midland

park

320033N
1020505W

 

USGS

New Well Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315355N
1020722W

 

USGS

New Well Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315600N
1021401W

 

USGS

New Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

320128N
1021619W

 

USGS

Nineteen Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315121N
1015355W

 

USGS

Nobles East Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315912N
1021219W

 

USGS

North Benedict Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314658N
1021001W

 

USGS

North Cooksey Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315933N
1021604W

 

USGS

North Estes Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314947N
1021258W

 

USGS

North James Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315558N
1021100W

 

USGS

North Pasture Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314812N
1014630W

 

USGS

North School

TX

Midland

school

320004N
1020449W

 

USGS

North Travelstead Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315234N
1021224W

 

USGS

North Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315223N
1021414W

 

USGS

North Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315645N
1020921W

 

USGS

Number Two Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315328N
1020548W

 

USGS

Oil Well Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314509N
1015247W

 

USGS

Old Headquarters Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315923N
1021010W

 

USGS

Open Tank Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315814N
1020952W

 

USGS

Parks Oil Field

TX

Midland

oilfield

314937N
1020902W

 

USGS

Parks-Penn Oil Field

TX

Midland

oilfield

315334N
1021509W

 

USGS

Parkview Hospital

TX

Midland

hospital

320149N
1020416W

 

USGS

Partition Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314308N
1021048W

 

USGS

Paul

TX

Midland

populated place

320353N
1015623W

See Germania, TX.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Pease School

TX

Midland

school

320128N
1020334W

 

USGS

Pecks Lake

TX

Midland

lake

314933N
1015221W

 

USGS

Peck Springs

TX

Midland

vanished community

314933N
1015221W

A rural community centered around a water source, was located near the current Pecks Lake and seventeen miles southeast of Midland, Texas, on the old road to San Angelo, Texas, in southeastern Midland County. In the spring of 1884 Ben and George Wolcott located their ranch at Peck Springs, the water source. They sold the ranch to George G. Gray later in the year and moved to the Guadalupes in present Culberson County. Among the residents of the community in 1885 and 1886 were George G. Gray, F. W. Roberts, and James L. Gray. Thomas Oscar Midkiff and his wife, Lillie Davenport, lived at Peck Springs in a half-dugout around the turn of the century. A public school was established at Peck Springs by 1906 when the family of Walter William Wimberly settled there. The date of the abandonment or consolidation of the school was not found. Sources: USGS, GNIS; General Land Office of Texas, Origninal Owners Map of Midland County, 30 Sep 1930; Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984, 18, 22, 53, 97, 118; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Pegasus

TX

Midland

oil field camp

314022N
1020814W

Oil company camp, was located in the oil field by the same name on Farm Road 1788 one mile north of the Upton County line in southern Midland County. The oilfield was discovered on 15 March 1949 and the company camp that provided homes for workers and their families was built after that date. With the improvement of roads and the advent of dependable transportation in West Texas during the 1960s, oil companies began to abandon camps for workers. Pegasus and many others in Midland County were deserted. No post office or cemetery existed at Pegasus, Texas. Sources: USGS, GNIS; General Land Office of Texas, Origninal Owners Map of Midland County, 30 Sep 1930; Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984, 18, 22, 53, 97, 118; Frank A. Herald, Occurrence of Oil and Gas in West Texas, UT Pub. No. 5716 (Austin: Bureau of Economic Geology, 1957), 271. Writer's Observation.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Pegasus Gasoline Plant

TX

Midland

oilfield

313941N
1020815W

 

USGS

Pegasus Oil Field

TX

Midland

oilfield

314022N
1020814W

 

USGS

Pemberton Draw

TX

Midland

valley

315320N
1014722W

 

USGS

Pioneer Memorial Church

TX

Midland

church

315105N
1014811W

 

USGS

Pipeline Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315805N
1021435W

 

USGS

Pleasant Valley

TX

Midland

vanished community

Unknown

Was a rural farming community,located seven miles northwest of Midland, Texas, and one-half mile west of the current site of Midland Park Mall in northwestern Midland County. The community was formed before 1912 when several families moved to Midland County from Mississippi with the Moss brothers,who owned several sections of land and needed families to farm their land. To educate the children, a public school was built. The one-room structure was constructed on land donated by Clarence Scharbauer. The community also used the school building for Sunday School and church services. Pleasant Valley School closed in 1939 and the community lost its central focus. In 1998 only a street named "Moss" in the area of Pleasant Valley remained. No post office or cemetery was found at Pleasant Valley community. Sources: Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 53,112; County School files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum; Writer's Observation.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Prairie Lee

TX

Midland

vanished community

unknown

Rural community, was located ten miles east of Midland, Texas, on the John M. King Ranch in northeastern Midland County. By 1912 Scott McKee, G. N. Staton, and W. H. Stinson of the community built a public school building there that was also used for church services. Elma Grave taught at the school in 1912 and the children of John Stanton Wright were students in the 1910s and 1920s. Ethel McKee Staton taught at Prairie Lee School from 1920 through 1924, the year the school consolidated with McClintic and Stokes schools to form Greenwood Independent School District. With the consolidation, Prairie Lee community lost its central focus and the school building was sold in 1927. Among the early settlers of Prairie Lee community was William Edgar Pigg who farmed there before his marriage in May 1926. No post office or cemetery was established at Prairie Lee, Texas. Sources: Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, Texas 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984),53,85,93,96,101,122; General Land Office of Texas, Original Owners Map of Midland County, 30 Sep 1930; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum, Midland, TX. NOTICE: For the last fifteen years, former students of Prairie Lee School have met for a reunion. They will meet next on 01 August 1998 at Greenwood Grade School Cafeteria. President is Fred Meissner, 2605 Ward Street, Midland TX, 79705 (915/682-5596). Source: Invitation to 16th Prairie Lee School Reunion, mailed 16 Jul 1998, Midland TX.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Ragsdale

TX

Midland

vanished community

Unknown

Was a rural ranching community, was located twenty-five miles Southwest of Midland, Texas, in the southwestern corner of Midland County. It is assumed that the community was named for Joe T. Ragsdale, who registered a cattle brand in Midland County in 1916. He and his wife, Lou Ella, lived on TA Ranch in the community. A public school was organized at Ragsdale before 1912, but the date of its closing was not found. No post office or cemetery existed at Ragsdale, Texas. Sources: Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984),31,33,53,105; General Land Office of Texas, Original Owners Map of Midland County, 30 Sep 1930.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Ranchland Hills Country Club

TX

Midland

locale

320200N
1020346W

 

USGS

Ratlift Park

TX

Midland

park

320120N
1020436W

 

USGS

Rattlesnake Raceway

TX

Midland

locale

315448N
1020241W

 

USGS

Red Tower Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315534N
1020808W

 

USGS

Redtop Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314943N
1015637W

 

USGS

Rest Haven Cemetery

TX

Midland

cemetery

320245N
1020454W

 

USGS

Reynolds Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314647N
1015334W

 

USGS

Ridgeheights

TX

Midland

pop place

315712N
1020344W

 

USGS

Robinson

TX

Midland

vanished community

Unknown

Was located at an unidentified point in Midland County before 1907. A public school operated at Robinson in the 1907-1908 term with twenty-two students and one teacher. The community may have been named for Mrs. A. M. Robinson, who registered a Midland County cattle brand in 1898. No post office or cemetery existed at Robinson community. Sources: Texas State Historical Assn., Unpublished chart of early West Texas schools, copy in Writer's file; Nancy R. Rankin, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, Texas 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 28.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Rusk Park

TX

Midland

park

320041N
1020803W

 

USGS

Rusk School

TX

Midland

school

320038N
1020800W

 

USGS

Ryan Aerodrome

TX

Midland

airport

320500N
1020101W

 

USGS

Saddler Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

313909N
1021052W

 

USGS

Saint Ann School

TX

Midland

school

315942N
1020548W

 

USGS

Saint Paul Church

TX

Midland

church

315849N
1020800W

 

USGS

Salt Lake

TX

Midland

lake

315139N
1015922W

 

USGS

San Jacinto Junior High School

TX

Midland

school

320028N
1020603W

 

USGS

Sandy Acres

TX

Midland

pop place

315707N
1020435W

 

USGS

Scharbauer Oil Field

TX

Midland

oilfield

315316N
1020836W

 

USGS

Shackleford Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315047N
1015016W

 

USGS

Shearing Pen Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314137N
1021252W

 

USGS

Sidwell Park

TX

Midland

park

320118N
1020508W

 

USGS

Skywest Incorporated Airport

TX

Midland

airport

315130N
1020426W

 

USGS

Slaughter

TX

Midland

vanished community

Unknown

Was located ten miles Southwest of Stanton, Texas, and ten miles Northeast of Midland, Texas, near the Martin County line, on the Texas and Pacific railroad in northeastern Midland County by 1881, when it became a railroad section house. Slaughter, Texas, was named for Christopher Columbus (Lum) Slaughter, who owned Long S Ranch and used the open range in Midland County from 1879 through 1912. His cattle brands were registered in Midland County in 1892 and in 1900. A post office operated at Slaughter, Texas, from 1907 until 1912. A public school opened by 1911, where the children of John M. King were students. The date of the school closing was not found. A vacant saloon in Slaughter, Texas, was used for Sunday School and preaching. Greenwood Baptist Church, which still existed in 1998, was organized in that former saloon. No cemetery was found in the community. Sources: 1911 Texas Almanac, map in back cover pocket shows the location of Slaughter; Nancy R. Rankin, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, Texas 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 14,18, 24, 53, 56, 92-93; Charles Deaton, Texas Postal History Handbook (Houston: by author, 1980), 142; W. H. Whitlock, Cowboy Life on the Llano Estacado (Norman: Univ. of Okla Press, 1970), 145; H. Bailey Carroll, ed., The Handbook of Texas, Vol. 2 (Austin: The Texas State Historical Assn., 1952),618; Charles P. Zlatkovich, Texas Railroads: A Record of Construction and Abandonment (Austin: UT and TSHA, 1981), 30, 91; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum, Midland,TX; Writer's Observation.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Sloan Field

TX

Hall

early airport

315633N
1021206W

Early aiport, was built on the site where the current Midland International Airport stands at the intersection of U.S. Highway 80 and Farm Road 1788 near the Missouri Pacific railroad in northwestern Midland County. It originated as a dirt landing strip in 1927, created by oilman Samuel Addison Sloan as his private field. He leased 220 acres of grassland from Clarence Scharbauer, a local rancher. Sloan then graded a landing strip, drilled a water well, and built a hangar for his plane. By 1928 Sloan Field became a refueling stop for military planes. Sloan crashed his own plane on 01 January 1929 near Colorado City, Texas, ending his life. However, the landing strip continued. His family bought the land he had leased from Scharbauer and began improvements. They added refueling services for planes, a terminal with a snack bar for passengers, a flying school, and a residence. A small army unit was also stationed there in 1929. On 01 July 1939 the family sold Sloan Field to the City of Midland and it was renamed Midland Municipal Airport. In 1941 the field became the site of a bombardier school and was renamed Midland Army Air Field. When the base closed in 1946, the field received an inactive status. In February 1947 the City of Midland, still owning the land, reclaimed the field. In 1990 it became Midland International Airport, serving a wide region of West Texas and Eastern New Mexico. Sources: State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, General Map of Midland County, revised 1986; James L. Colwell, "Midland Army Air Field in World War II," in The Permian Historical Annual 25 (Dec 1985), 11-42; James L. Colwell, "'Hell from Heaven!' Midland Army Air Field in World War II: Part III," in The Permian Historical Annual 27 (Dec 1987), 95-127; Ed Vogler, Pres. of Midland International Airport Planning and Development Board, interview by Julia Cauble Smith, 05 Nov 1990, Midland, TX; Writer's Observation.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

South Benedict Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314558N
1020921W

 

USGS

South Camp

TX

Midland

vanished community

Unknown

Was located at a point on the Midland and Northwestern railroad fifteen miles northwest of Midland, Texas, in the northwestern corner of Midland County. It was established in 1917 by the railroad and the family of Andrew Fasken moved there that year. The railroad abandoned South Camp, Texas, in 1923 and the town vanished soon after that. There was never a post office or a cemetery at South Camp, Texas. Sources: Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 16-17; USGS,GNIS; Charles P. Zlatkovich, Texas Railroads: A Record of Construction and Abandonment (Austin: UT and TSHA, 1981), 78; Ed Barthollomew, The Encyclopedia of Texas Ghost Towns (Ft. Davis: Privately published, 1982),97.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

South Camp Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

320420N
1021709W

 

USGS

South China Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315247N
1021014W

 

USGS

South Cooksey Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315713N
1021601W

 

USGS

South Estes Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314532N
1021125W

 

USGS

South James Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315446N
1021030W

 

USGS

South School

TX

Midland

school

315915N
1020430W

 

USGS

South Whittenburg Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315628N
1021709W

 

USGS

South Williams Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314013N
1021709W

 

USGS

South Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

320106N
1021537W

 

USGS

South Witcher Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314927N
1015334W

 

USGS

Sparks Park

TX

Midland

park

320105N
1020340W

 

USGS

Spraberry

TX

Midland

pop place

315523N
1014931W

An unincorporated community, is located on State Highway 158 and Farm Road 1379, sixteen miles southeast of Midland, Texas,in east central Midland County. Spraberry, Texas, came into existence after the discovery of oil in the Spraberry Trend Area on 24 February 1949. A post office was opened in 1954 and continued through 1959. In 1958 the community reported a population of fifty. Over the years, the community has had two churches, a cafe, a service station, and two stores. In 1990 one store operated at Spraberry, Texas, and population was forty-six. In 1998 population was still forty-six. Spraberry, Texas, had no school or cemetery. Sources: USGS,GNIS; State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, General Map of Midland County, revised 1986; Robert L. Phifer, Petroleum Review: Midland County, Texas (Houston: Phifer Petroleum Publications, 1963),6; Louise Gay, interview by Julia Cauble Smith, Spraberry, TX, 11 Oct 1990; 1998-1999 Texas Almanac, 315.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Spraberry Church

TX

Midland

church

315500N
1014929W

 

USGS

Spraberry Gas Plant

TX

Midland

oilfield

315117N
1014756W

 

USGS

Steel Trap Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314938N
1014909W

 

USGS

Stephenson

TX

Midland

vanished community

315251N
1015305W

Near Stephenson Lake, fifteen miles Southeast of Midland, Texas, on Donavan Ranch in Southeastern Midland County. A school operated there for about forty years. It was established by 1908 when the family of Joseph Heidelberg lived there. May Beth Judkins started to Stephenson School in 1925 and Vernetta Ray was her teacher. In 1947 Stephenson School consolidated with Midland Independent School District and the community lost its central focus. Sources: Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984),53,88,90; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Stephenson Lake

TX

Midland

lake

315251N
1015305W

 

USGS

Stokes

TX

Midland

vanished community

Unknown
Unknown

Located thirteen miles east of Midland, Texas, in Northeastern Midland County. The community was named for J. V. Stokes who came to Midland County from the Pecos River in 1890. He registered Midland County cattle brands in 1896 and 1897. Three schools were reported in the Stokes School District during the 1907-1908 term with three teachers instructing fifty-seven students. The family of Edward Eason Eiland lived at Stokes and Troy Eiland served on the Stokes School Board. In 1924 Stokes community lost its central focus through school consolidation. At that time the school districts of Stokes, McClintic, and Prairie Lee combined to form Greenwood Independent School District, which was still operating in 1998. Sources: General Land Office of Texas, Original Owners Map, 30 Sep 1930; Texas State Historical Assn., Unpublished chart of early West Texas schools, copy in Writer's file; Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984),19,27,53,76,90; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Strickland

TX

Midland

vanished community

Unknown
Unknown

Rural community that was located at an unidentified point in Midland County. A public school was founded at Strickland community before 1911, but the date of its closing was not found. Sources: Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 53; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Sweetie Peck Oil Field

TX

Midland

oilfield

314038N
1021328W

 

USGS

Taylor Park

TX

Midland

park

315856N
1020506W

 

USGS

Terminal

TX

Midland

populated place

315633N
1021206W

Terminal, Texas [now annexed by Midland,TX], is located at the intersection of U.S.Highway 80 and Farm Road 1788 on the Missouri Pacific railroad in northwestern Midland County. It developed around Sloan Field, a private airport built in 1927 by oilman Samuel Addison Sloan. Sloan Field was bought by the City of Midland in 1939. A bombardier school opened at the airport in 1941 and the facility was renamed Midland Army Air Field. When the air base closed in 1946, Terminal, Texas, was granted a post office. By 1949 the community consisted of four businesses and 100 residents. In 1958 population rose to 400 and businesses to thirty-two. In 1965 the City of Midland extended it limits westerly along U.S. Highway 80 to annex both the airport [now Midland International Airport] and the community. At some time Terminal, Texas, had a school and a church, but no cemetery was created there. The main post office of Midland, Texas, is located at the community of Terminal. Sources: State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, General Map of Midland County, revised 1986; H. Bailey Caroll, ed., The Handbook of Texas, Vol.2 (Austin: The Texas State Historical Assn., 1952),725; James L. Colwell, "Midland Army Air Field in World War II," in Permian Historical Annual 25 (Dec 1985), 11-42; James L. Colwell, "'Hell from Heaven!' Midland Army Air Field in World War II: Part III," in The Permian Historical Annual 27 (Dec 1987), 95-127; 1949-1950 Texas Almanac, 120; 1958-1959 Texas Almanac, 127; Ed Vogler, Pres. Midland International Airport Planning and Development Board, interview by Julia Cauble Smith, 5 Nov 1990, Midland, TX; Stan Sartain, U.S. Postal Service, interview by Julia Cauble Smith, Midland, TX, 05 Nov 1990.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Terrace Gardens Nursing Home

TX

Midland

hospital

315936N
1020634W

 

USGS

Tex-Harvey Camp

TX

Midland

locale

315337N
1014905W

 

USGS

Thaxter

TX

Midland

vanished community

Unknown
Unknown

Located on the Midland and Northwestern railroad line in Northwestern Midland County. The settlement was established in 1917 when the railroad built its tracks from Midland, Texas, to Florey, Texas, in northwestern Andrews County, a distance of 47.5 miles. When the railroad was abandoned in 1923, Thaxter community vanished. Sources: Eldon Stephen Branda, ed., The Handbook of Texas, A Supplement, Vol. 3 (Austin: The Texas State Hist. Assn., 1976), 1001; Charles P. Zlatkovich, Texas Railroads: A Record of Construction and Abandonment (Austin: UT and TSHA, 1981), 78.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Thirtyeight Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314948N
1014801W

 

USGS

Toad Loop

TX

Midland

vanished community

Unknown
Unknown

Rural community that was located at an unidentified point in Midland County. A public school was located at Toad Loop community by the 1907-1908 term when seventeen students and one teacher were reported. Laura Johnson taught at the school from 1914-1917. She had eight students. Erma and Louis Wrage were two of her students. Sources: Texas State Historical Assn., Unpublished chart of early West Texas schools, copy in Writer's file; Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 53,59.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Tolbert Park

TX

Midland

park

320113N
1020355W

 

USGS

Tower Church

TX

Midland

church

315714N
1020617W

 

USGS

Tower Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

320510N
1021706W

 

USGS

Travis School

TX

Midland

school

315853N
1020345W

 

USGS

Tubb Wells

TX

Midland

vanished community

314329N
1020313W

Rural community centered around water wells, was located twenty miles south of Midland, Texas, in south central Midland County. It was reportedly named for J. B. Tubb who registered a Midland County cattle brand in 1908. The family of William P. Lewis Nugent camped at Tubb Wells when they traveled from their ranch to Midland, Texas. A public school was in session at Tubb Wells before 1912 and it continued for more than thirty years. In 1945 Tubb Wells School consolidated with Midland Independent School District and the community lost its central focus. Sources: USGS, GNIS; State Dept. of Highways and Public Transportation, General Highway Map of Midland County, revised 1986; Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 32,53,100; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Tubb Wells

TX

Midland

well

314329N
1020313W

 

USGS

Tucker Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315055N
1015146W

 

USGS

Twenty Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315310N
1020808W

 

USGS

Two Section Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314750N
1021245W

 

USGS

Ulmer Park

TX

Midland

park

315906N
1020611W

 

USGS

Unnamed Cemetery

TX

Midland

cemetery

unknown

An unnamed, fenced cemetery once stood in a cotton field three miles east and two miles south of Greenwood, Texas, in Northeastern Midland County. Alvey Bryant first saw the cemetery in 1925 when he came to Midland County and settled a few miles from the site. Some long-time residents believe the cemetery was the burying place for a number of people who were traveling in a wagon train. The wagon train, they believed, was attacked by Indians or its people were stricken with a disease. The travelers camped at the site for some time, caring for the ill or injured and burying the dead. Eventually, the train moved on and the cemetery was left with no one to tend it. In 1990 all evidence of the cemetery was gone and cotton grew over the graves. Source: Alvey Bryant, interview by Julia Cauble Smith, Midland, Texas, 26 October 1990.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Valhalla Mausoleum

TX

Midland

cemetery

320424N
1020513W

 

USGS

Valley View

TX

Midland

populated place

315637N
1015940W

An unincorporated community, located ten miles Southeast of Midland, Texas, on Farm Road 1213 in central Midland County. Like Cotton Flat community, Valley View developed as a farming community in the 1910s after Henry M. Halff broke up his many-sectioned Quien Sabe Ranch and divided it into family farms. Some early settlers of the community were the families of Almorane Brunson, Lenton Brunson, Symeon Castellaw, D. R. Ray, and T. N. Wilson. A school was opened in the community before 1911 in part of a farm house owned by the Ray family. There was one teacher and the school met in one room. Residents also met in the building for Sunday School and Baptist preaching. After one revival meeting, the converts were baptized in Rays' stock tank. Gilbert Brunson donated land for the construction of both a school and a church in 1927. Valley View School completed its building in 1932, but it consolidated with Midland Independent School District in 1945. Even without the school, the community continued. The school building became a well-kept community center. The Baptist church was still meeting in its original building in 1990, although it had been remodeled. Many former residents of Valley View community return each year for the Valley View Old-Timers Reunion. Surnames among those who returned on 13-14 June 1998 were Brunson, Campbell, Estes, Fleming, Hobbs, Jones, Ray, Sanders, Stewart, Vest, and Wimberley. Sources: USGS,GNIS; USGS 7.5 topo map, Stephenson Lake, Tex., 1974; John Clements, Flying the Colors (Dallas: Clements Research II, Inc., 1988), 437; Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County, Texas 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 21, 53, 65, 68, 88, 96, 107, 118; General Land Office of Texas, Original Owners Map of Midland County, 30 Sep 1930; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum, Midland, TX; Doris Jones, interview by Julia Cauble Smith and Ann H. Auburg, Valley View, Texas, 25 Oct 1990; Midland Reporter-Telegram, 18 Jun 1998; Writer's Observation.

Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Valley View Church

TX

Midland

church

315637N
1015940W

 

USGS

Virey Oil Field

TX

Midland

oilfield

314337N
1021548W

 

USGS

Wadley Barron Park

TX

Midland

park

320028N
1020509W

 

USGS

Walcott Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315258N
1020345W

 

USGS

Walters Ranch

TX

Midland

locale

314617N
1021620W

 

USGS

Warfield

TX

Midland

pop place

315515N
1021306W

An unincorporated ranch community, was originally called Carson. It is located ten miles southwest of Midland, Texas, on the Missouri Pacific railroad and Interstate 20 in northwestern Midland County. When the Texas & Pacific railroad laid it tracks through the area in 1881, the location was designated a section house and its name was changed to Warfield for the Warfield family. Other families in Warfield community in the mid-1880s were those of Neil J. Gillis, E. Powell, Joseph Powell, W. L. Powell, and Edward Thomas. In 1884, before Midland County was created, a post office opened at Warfield, Texas, only to close in 1887. The post office was re-established in 1909 and finally closed in 1915. Warfield School building, which was also used for worship services, was built by 1912. In 1940 the community was a flag stop on the railroad, depending economically on ranching and oil, and consisting of twenty residents, a store, and the school. In 1945 the school consolidated with Midland Independent School District and the community lost its central focus. In 1998 Warfield, Texas, was best known for its truck stop. No cemetery was found in the community. Sources: USGS,GNIS; General Land Office of Texas, Midland County Map, 1896; Nancy R. McKinley, ed., The Pioneer History of Midland County 1880-1926 (Dallas: Midland Co. Hist. Comm., 1984), 22,36,53,118; Charles P. Zlatkovich, Texas Railroads: A Record of Construction and Abandonment (Austin: UT and TSHA, 1981), 30, 91; Charles Deaton, Texas Postal History Handbook (Houston: by author, 1980), 151; County School Files of Rose Rankin, Midland County Museum, Midland TX; H. Bailey Carroll, ed., The Handbook of Texas, Vol. 2 (Austin: The Texas State Historical Assn., 1952),863.

USGS &
Julia Cauble Smith
cauble@apex2000.net

Warfield Oil Field

TX

Midland

oilfield

315312N
1021243W

 

USGS

Warsaw Oil Field

TX

Midland

oilfield

314325N
1021315W

 

USGS

Washington School

TX

Midland

school

315958N
1020311W

 

USGS

Weatherd Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315136N
1015034W

 

USGS

West School

TX

Midland

school

315932N
1020548W

 

USGS

West Willow Well

TX

Midland

well

315049N
1021553W

 

USGS

West Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

314423N
1021136W

 

USGS

West Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

315604N
1021336W

 

USGS

West Windmill

TX

Midland

locale

320454N
1020836W

 

USGS

Willis Ranch

TX

Midland

locale

315251N
1015615W

 

USGS

Willow Well

TX

Midland

well

315111N
1021528W

 

USGS

Windmill Number Eight

TX

Midland

locale

314727N
1020342W

 

USGS

Windmill Number Five

TX

Midland

locale

315120N
1020505W

 

USGS

Windmill Number Four

TX

Midland

locale

315019N
1020404W

 

USGS

Windmill Number Fourteen

TX

Midland

locale

314749N
1020113W

 

USGS

Windmill Number Nine

TX

Midland

locale

314747N
1020207W

 

USGS

Windmill Number Nineteen

TX

Midland

locale

314626N
1020044W

 

USGS

Windmill Number One

TX

Midland

locale

314628N
1015827W

 

USGS

Windmill Number Seven

TX

Midland

locale

314827N
1020312W

 

USGS

Index


8 June 2997