CODE OF ETHICS
(Bylaws: Article XVI)
The Genealogy Friend ...
- - Promotes a coherent, truthful approach to genealogy, family history and local history.
- - Presents research results and opinions in a clear, well-organized manner; fully and accurately cites sources;
does not withhold, suppress, or knowingly misquote or misinterpret sources or data.
- - Promotes the trust and security of genealogical consumers.
- - Honestly abides by agreements regarding project scope, number of hours, and deadlines or reporting schedules;
keeps adequate, accessible records of financial and project-specific contacts with the consumer;
and does not knowingly violate or encourage others to violate laws and regulations concerning copyright, right of privacy,
business finances, or other pertinent subjects.
- - Supports records access and preservation.
- - Is courteous to research facility personnel and treats records with care and respect;
supports efforts to locate, collect, and preserve the records by compiling, cataloging, reproducing, and indexing documents;
and does not mutilate, rearrange or remove from its proper custodian any printed, original microfilm, or electronic records.
- - Promotes the welfare of the genealogical community.
- - Gives proper credit to those who supply information and provide assistance; does not knowingly supplant another researcher;
encourages applicable education, accreditation, and certification;
and refrains from public behavior, oral remarks, or written communications that defame the profession, individual genealogists,
or the Genealogy Friends of Plano Libraries, Inc.