Worth & Denver Northern Railway
Source: The Handbook of
The Fort Worth and Denver Northern Railway
Company was chartered by the Burlington system on May 20,
1929. The road was to build from Childress north to
Shamrock in Wheeler County and then northwest to Pampa in
Gray County, a distance of 110 miles.
The initial capital was $110,000, and the business office
was in Childress. Members of the first board of directors
included John A. Hulenqv of Houston; F. E. Williamson and
C. E. Spens, both from Chicago, Illinois; and Khleber M.
Van Zandt,qv F. E. Clarity, T. B. Yarbrough, J. H.
Barwise, W. C. Logan, and W. O. Hamilton, all from Fort
The 110 miles of track from Childress north to Shamrock
in Wheeler County and then northwest to Pampa in Gray
County was completed on July 15, 1932. The road was
leased to the Fort Worth and Denver City for operation
and merged into that company on June 13, 1952. The
section between Wellington and Pampa was abandoned in
(information from The Handbook of
Texas Online --
a multidisciplinary encyclopedia of Texas history,
geography, and culture.)