E.E. Davis Wagon Yard
The Herald Democrat
May 26, 2013
The Denison Press
Wednesday, July 27, 1938
WAGON YARD WAS PREDECESSOR OF WOOD AUTO FIRM
The story of transportation from ox wagon to streamlined limousine can be told by Earl Wood, owner of the Wood Motor Company, Denison Dodge and Plymouth dealer. As a young man Mr. Wood started to work for the E.E. Davis wagon yard at $15 a month. That was over forty years ago. Ox teams plodded through the streets and "prairie schooners" stopped at "the only covered wagon yard in North Texas" as the road signs advertised.
Caravans from the North, South and East all came through Denison. Visitors came from Indian Territory to the Davis Wagon Yard, and sometimes they stayed for a week to trade.
Each camp house at the wagon yard was equipped with a cook room, and 15 or 20 beds built one above the other. In times of an overflow crowd some would sleep under their wagons. Gates were locked at bedtime and, to prevent thefts, the only egress of entrance was through a hole cut in the gate that would just allow a man to crawl through.
Starting with "Shorty", first harness horse owned by the stable, the Davis Livery followed the wagon yard. "Shorty" knew where home was and sometimes in the mornings would be found standing outside the gate with the passenger asleep in the buggy.
The livery grew and Mr. Davis became know for his fine horses, some of which were shipped by carload lots from Kansas City. Rates were $1.50 for an afternoon or evening on week days and double that amount on Sundays. The stable ran 30 horses with open and closed buggies, surreys and closed carriages.
Fire brought disaster when it hit the stable Dec. 13, 1908, about 9 o'clock in the evening. Sixty head of fine horses were burned, several carloads of new and uncrated buggies as well as the operating equipment were destroyed.
The frame building, 120 by 125 feet, with a hayloft, burned rapidly. Everything was destroyed except the funeral equipment stored in another building. Many fine horses being "boarded" at the livery were also lost.
The Columbus (Ohio) Buggy Company wired Mr. Davis to order what he needed. A local bank gave credit, for he had little insurance.
A few horses and buggies were gotten together and the firm opened across the street and operated there until a year later when a modern livery was completed. The new quarters had concrete aisles that could be flushed with water.
Then came the motor car in 1910. A row of stalls was removed and the firm became the Davis Livery and Motor Car Company, agents for the Firestone-Columbus car. As automobiles gained wider use more stalls were removed with the space given to cars until the last horse was sold and the firm became the Davis Motor Car Company.
The front of the building was changed and other improvements made and the company continued to operate at the corner of Rusk and Chestnut. The company had the first telephone on the south side of town.
Mr. Wood, who was secretary and treasurer of the Davis Motor Car Company, purchased the company in 1930, and moved to the present location at 508-10 West Main, changing the name to Wood Motor Company.
Besides his garage which has a large display room for new cars, well equipped repair shop, body and fender and painting shop, Mr. Wood has a Used Car department and lot on Main street.
Elaine Nall Bay
If you find any of Grayson CountyTXGenWeb links inoperable, please send me a message.