1030 W. Munson Street
Mercy Hospital was located at 1030 West Munson Street when it was built and opened in 1925, according to Susie Foster, a nurse from the inception of this facility. The building was constructed by the Sons and Daughters of Mercy, a fraternal organization of African-American citizens. Mercy cared for the African Americans in Denison.
R. C. Riddle was supreme President and hospital director, and his assistant was Dr. Holloway.
When Dr. Riddle moved away in 1946, the hospital was purchased by Dr. U. C.
Franklin, who continued its operation for a number of years before turning it
into the Haven Rest Home until 1971, when the hospital finally closed.
Dr. Franklin already had moved his practice into North Denison at 726 West Elm Street until his death in 1963. Joy Tarver came by in 1985 and purchased the condemned building and tried unsuccessfully for five years to raise funds to preserve the historic landmark. It was demolished