Grayson County TXGenWeb

Destroyed
Canon Family Cemetery
Whitewright, Texas



Map

The Canon Family Cemetery belonged to the Samuel F. Canon Family.  It was located about 500 ft. NW of the corner of
Jack England Rd. & County Line Road south of Whitewright. The cemetery sat at the top of a small rise, which could be seen as of Spring 1999.  It was 'located' in a
plowed field due north where the Jack Englands house sat, approciamtely
1000 feet NW of the intersection.
A cement company purchased the land & the cemetery may not be visible.



The Cemetery was witnessed by many early residents. It had a metal fence around it until WWII when it was taken down for the war effort. All of the graves where known to be of or related to the Canon family who lived there until they sold the land to the T. L. Cowart family and has had several owners since. There was a concensus that there were about 12 stones, mostly infants. All the stones were standing when the metal fence was removed. Soon the stones began to be caught and pushed over by farm machinery as the field was plowed.

An eye witness to it , now deceased, said the last two stones that were for a mother & infant. He and his son had been hired to plow the field and clear those last two stones. The stones to the cemetery were used as fill on road work on
Hwy 160.

Grayson County Cemeteries

Grayson County TXGenWeb

Elaine Nall Bay
2002