Cannon Congregational Methodist Church
View the Cannon
Plat and the location of the church
More Photos below
Van Alstyne Public Library
CANNON METHODIST CHURCH
Van Alstyne, Texas
Local History Records
Date of article not noted.
The Methodist church of Cannon
was organized in the year 1896, by the Rev. Morbid and
two minister brothers by the name of Jones. They erected a
church building on the
present church site, and held the first service in 1897.
Prominent members of the congregation were:
Rev. Pinckney Shaw; C. H. Hill; and Frank Mann.
The Rev. Bescher Airhart served the church as pastor for many years.
One of the highlights
of this church was the singing convention sponsored by Bro. Frank
Mann and family. He was
aided by some forty or fifty other good singers of this area.
Today 1974, its lone parishoner is Arnold
Wiggins, who goes each Sunday morning for an hour
of prayer and meditation.
Later, 1976, through publicity of an interview
with Bro. Wiggins by a reporter from Television Station Chan. 11, Dallas,
Texas, and the showing of this interview, the inactive members of the church
began to return to worship, and at this time, Arnold is not alone in his
Van Alstyne Historical Collections