Grayson County TXGenWeb
Gunter Baptist Church

Van Alstyne Public Library
Genealogy Collections


In 1895, Brother J.M. Lawhom and a fellowship of Christians from the Burke Baptist Church came to Gunter and organized a church on the old Gunter Ranch.  The school house, located on the ranch property, provided a place for preaching and teaching.  In 1914, the church, with 101 members, moved into Gunter to a location just a block north of where the present building is located.  

In 1918, a tornado did considerable damage to this first structure and it was decided to buy property and build a new sanctuary. This was accomplished in the fall of 1919.  An annex was added in 1951 to provide additional space for teaching, fellowship and recreation.  Five Sunday School rooms were added in 1971.  In 1973, the present brick sanctuary was built. 

The church continued to grow.  In 1987, plans for a major project called Challenge 95 took shape; this endeavor would be a five phase building program including remodeling of the existing sanctuary and annex, demolition of the 1919 building and construction of a 5,000 square foot office complex and fellowship hall.  The goal was to complete and pay for the building by our Centennial in 1991.  With the Lord's blessings, the new facility was dedicated debt-free in 1993. 

The church has since grown in many ways.  As we are outgrowing the facilities, plans are being made to buy property and build a larger facility in the next few years. 

At the present time, the church has a total of 307 resident members on the roll.  The Sunday School averages 140 in attendance. 

The history of the First Baptist is filled with testimonies of people faithfully following Christ.  The future is a challenge that can only be met with the wisdom of the Lord and the Prayers and support of a loving people of God. 



Back to the Grayson County TXGenWeb Index page
If you find any of Grayson County TXGenWeb links inoperable,
please send me a message.
Visit the TXGenWeb State Page.
Visit the USGenWeb
This page is maintained by Elaine Nall Bay 2009