Sherman Public Library
HAGERMAN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Sherman Public Library
1889 the Smith brothers, J.P., W.N. and Maurice, originally from
Fordyce, Arkansas, bought the O.H.Willis Survey east of Big Mineral
Creek in Grayson County.
When the section was divided among the
brothers in 1904, J.P. Smith had ten acres in the northeast corner
surveyed. The streets were designated and named. The Missouri, Kansas
& Texas Railroad switch already at the site had been named
for an official of the railroad.
T.M. Smith, another brother, had
joined the Smiths on the farm. He, with his wife, Ida and daughter,
Norah, occupied the first residence on the townsite. W.N. Smith, his
wife, Lucy, and son Elbert, moved into the second residence. They
reared their family, including Elbert, Bruce, Mary, Robert and Edwin in
the area. All made valuable contributions to the community.
families were established in the vicinity. In 1888, Judge Seth Daniel
Steedman, former Judge of Grayson County, moved to a farm near Dever
Switch about a mile west of the Hagerman Switch. The Steedman post
office was established in the Steedman home with Mrs. Steedman was
post-mistress. The post office was later moved to the Henderson store,
also near Dever Switch. This post office was later
The U.S. post office was established at Hagerman and A.B. McClendon as
the first postmaster. R.L. Sweeney was the last postmaster. He was
transferred from the discontinued post office to Perrin Air Force Base
post office where he is still serving.
In 1901 the Steedman
Presbyterian Church was organized in the Plainview school house. The
church later became the Hagerman Presbyterian Church. After the
government bought the property, the church was moved to the Hyde Park
community and became Hyde Park Presbyterian Church.
church was organized in the Presbyterian church in 1907 and continued
to worship there until it was dissolved in 1943.
Baptist Church was organized in 1922. The church was moved two miles
east of the townsite and continues as Hagerman Baptist Church. The
church, the cemetery and the Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge are the
only remaining users of the name Hagerman.
Hagerman Presbyterian Church, final service before the building was
moved to Denison and became Hyde Park Presbyterian Church.
The bell seen here stands beside the Hyde Park building built later.
Material from the old Hagerman church was used in construction of a
Fellowship Hall at Hyde Park.