Original Building 1889.
The original building of the Elmont Baptist church was erected in
1889 and was used until 1939.
Van Alstyne Public Library local history files
Van Alstyne Leader
16 October 1969
The above picture is a photo of the original building of the Elmont
Baptist Church, which was erected in the year 1889, and was used until
1939, when the building that is used today took its place.
Elmont is located about five miles west of Van Alstyne, and the
church has extended the invitation to anyone who whishes to attend the
100th year celebration to attend. The celebration will be held on
October 26, 1969, and there will be dinner served on the ground.
Some of the ministers that have led the congregation over the years
will also be present for the festivities on the 26th. [Transcribed with
dates "as is"]
Established in 1879
Van Alstyne Public Library
Original Church Bulletin
Elmont Baptist Church was organized in 1869
by Rev. Thomas B. McComb, who also served as Pastor until 1894. The
congregation was formed from a group of pioneers who had been worshipping
together since the mid 1840's consisting of all denominations. At
first there was preaching only once a month, held under brush arbors and
shelters made from tree limbs and cotton bagging. The first Sunday
School was organized by Mr. E.G.Gregory, Sr., in the early 1900s.
The first Training Union was started by Mr. John B. Stewart in the late
View the New
Building of the Elmont Baptist Church
was built recently across the street from the old church building.
Source: Home Town Calendar 1998 [Van Alstyne]