Buddy Clay is one of the
better known later grocery store operators. He had stores all over Denison.
Clay opened his first store on South Crockett Avenue in 1957 when he purchased
the old Armsworthy store. As of the year 2000, Clay is still an active pioneer
in Denison, continually mapping out plans for the future.
Clay’s stores covered southwest Denison for many years,
with a number in operation from time to time. The William Pearce Grocery Store
on South Armstrong Avenue was a popular Clay store for many years. Clay’s also
took over the old Perry Taylor store at the northwest corner of Armstrong
Avenue and Bullock Street, which at the time was being operated as the Oak
Farms Grocery Store. The third Clay store was opened in 1961 at 2229 West Bullock
Street, which now hosts a private residence. Clay closed the store and moved it
to the corner of Sunset and Loy Lake Road in the 1960s, when he opened a new
shopping center at the site. The “Mr. M” Store at Hull Street and Perry Avenue
was remodeled and opened as a Clay’s store, serving for a number of years.
A new Clay store was opened in the 1960s in the 2500
block of West Crawford Street, serving that neighborhood with necessary items
for quite a while.