Denison Marble Works
Denison Marble Works
A. P. Chamberlain, Proprietor
620 - 622 W. Main St.
This is one of the very oldest enterprises of its kind in north Texas, it having been established for twenty-seven years. A large patronage is enjoyed throughout Oklahoma and Texas, a number of salesmen efficiently covering this territory. The Denison Marble Works are equipped with up-to-date facilities, while the most thoroughly experienced workmen are employed, with the result that the best character of work comes from this establishment. Mr. Chamberlain deals in all kinds of granite and marble monuments, tombstones, etc., all kinds of cut stones and granite work and importer of fine statuary. Estimates are cheerfully furnished and all contracts are executed with promptness and satisfaction. Mr. Chamberlain is classed among the most progressive citizens of Denison, and may be said to stand at the very head of the marble and granite business of the city of Denison and Grayson County.
Source: “Denison, the Texas Gateway: A Busy, Progressive City with Golden Opportunities.” 16pp. Brochure. N.p.: N.d. [ca. 1908].
ANTHONY P. CHAMBERLIN
For fifteen years Anthony P. Chamberlin has been a resident of Denison, connected with its business development and public progress. He is distinctively American and has aided in developing at this place a typical American city, whose progress and enterprise are worthy of the spirit of the west. His birth occurred in Watertown, New York, in 1850, his parents being Nelson and Anna V. (Kauffman) Chamberlin. The father was born in Rutland, Vermont, and died in 1896, at the age of sixty-seven years. His wife, who was born in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, is still living, her home being in Ypsilanti, Michigan. She was reared In Springfield, Ohio, and was a daughter of Michael Kauffman, a native of Pennsylvania, who became one of the first settlers of Springfield, Ohio. At the time of the Mexican war Nelson Chamberlin, father of our subject, enlisted from Boston and de- fended the interests of his country in that struggle. At the time of the Civil war he organized a company and was chosen captain of the command that was mustered in in 1861 as Company I, Eleventh Michigan Infantry. He rendered valuable service to the Union cause for two and a half years, after which he resigned and returned to Monroe, Michigan, where he settled on a farm. In 1865 he moved to Dexter, Michigan, where he was engaged in the marble business and there he remained until his death.
Anthony P. Chamberlain accompanied his parents on their removal from New York to Ohio and afterward to Michigan, being reared largely in the latter state- He remained there until twenty-four years of age and then came to Texas in September, 1874, making his way from Detroit, Michigan, to Dallas. He had previously learned the marble cutter's trade in Dexter, Michigan, under the direction of his father, and sought employment in that line in the southwest. He spent the winter in Dallas and in the spring of 1875 went to Sherman, Texas, where he remained until 1879. He then went to Leadville, Colorado, where he was engaged in mining and he also did some contract work in the marble business, residing in Colorado until 1885. In that year he again became a resident of Sherman, where he was engaged in contracting and building until 1889. In October of that year he came to Denison, where he continued in the same line of business, erecting many business blocks and other important structures in the city. He was thus closely connected with its improvement and upbuilding until 1896, when he purchased a half interest in the marble works owned by Joe Cathry, of Denison. The partnership was maintained for a time and later he purchased the interest of his partner, so that he is now sole proprietor. He conducts the plant under the name of the Denison Marble Works, the oldest established enterprise of the kind in the city- He also conducted a similar business in Sherman from 1875 until 1879, and his thorough understanding of the trade and practical workmanship enable him to capably direct the labors of those whom he employs. His business has now reached an extensive figure, for he receives and executes many orders annually, being a leading representative of this line of trade in his part of the state.
In 1877 Mr. Chamberlin was united in marriage in Sherman, Texas, to Miss Nannie Gatewood, a native of Missouri and a daughter of Colonel James Gatewood. Her father at the breaking out of the Civil war become commander of a Missouri regiment that enlisted for service in the Confederate army and was in Price's division. Associated with George Smith, he was the founder of the town of Sedalia, Missouri [a key stop on the MK&T Railroad]. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Chamberlin have been born three children: Nelson G. and William H., both born in Sherman; and Hazle T., born in Marysville, Colorado.
Mr. Chamberlin is well known in Denison and Grayson county, where for many years he has been actively connected with business interests. To a student of human nature there is nothing of greater interest than to examine into the life of a self-made man and analyze the principles by which he has been governed, the methods he has pursued, to know what means he has employed for advancement and to study the plans which have given him prominence, enabling him to pass on the highway of life many who had a more advantageous start. In the history of Mr. Chamberlin there is deep food for thought, and, if one so desires, he may profit by the obvious lessons therein contained, for his success is attributable entirely to his own labors. Watchful of business opportunities and utilizing the advantages that have come to him, he has gained recognition in commercial circles as a man of capability and enterprise and has also won the substantial return of labor, of which his profitable business is today the indication.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906).
Sherman Public Library
19 December 1928
A. P. Chamberlain Was Prominent in Building Circles in North Texas
Special to The Democrat
DENISON - A. P. Chamberlain, a pioneer business man of Grayson county and over forty years a resident of Denison, died at Boerne, Texas, at midnight Tuesday, according to telegraphic information received in Denison Wednesday morning. At the time of death Mr. Chamberlain, accompanied by his daughter Mrs. George Rue of Dallas, was in route from San Antonio to Kerrville, after having spent ten days in San Antonio under treatment of Dr. Langford, a brother-in-law. He left Denison about two weeks ago on advice of physicians.
Born in Watertown, N.Y., 78 years ago, Mr. Chamberlain grew to manhood, later moving to Port Huron, Mich., and moving to Sherman in 1875, when he opened a marble yard, In 1877 he married Miss Nannie Gatewood of Sherman, a sister of Mrs. William Lankford of that city.
While in Sherman Mr. Chamberlain had charge of construction of the present Grayson county jail, the rock work of Carr-Burdette College, the Industrial Cotton Oil Mill and similar large structures in that city. His artistic sculpture work attracted considerable attention and he later erected the present Confederate monument on the courthouse lawn, also similar monuments in Texas.
Mr. Chamberlain later located in Denison, where he owned and operated the marble works in the 600 block of West Main Street. Soon after arrival here he erected a home at 1700 South Rusk Avenue, where he reared his family of two sons, Nelson and Will Chamberlain, now of Fort Worth, and daughter Mrs. George Rue of Dallas. The wife, two sons, and daughter survive.
Mr. and Mrs. Chamberlain observed their fiftieth wedding anniversary with their son, Will, in Fort Worth last year. Mr. Chamberlain had been a member of the Denison Lodge of Elks since its organization in this city. He was prominent in work of the Elks' organization and was generally known for his kindheartedness and liberal donations to worthy causes.
In addition to the immediate family, there are two brothers and a sister in New York and a sister-in-law, Mrs. William Lankford of Sherman.
The body is due to arrive in Denison on the Katy Flyer at noon Thursday. Funeral services will be held under auspices of the Elks lodge at the home.
Tombstone of Jennie Hornbeck visible on photo
24 June 1957 - 7 October 1876
d/o Alfred Hornbeck & Lucy Harris
(written on the back of the Denison Monument promotional card)
Denison City Directory, 1876A fourth brother, Alfred Sterling Hornbeck, was married & living in Rains County, Texas by 1900, at which time
---Hornbeck, E. Victor, lab. bds Wm. Hornbeck
---Hornbeck, Lewis N., farmer, bds Wm. Hornbeck
---Hornbeck, William W., printer, "News", res s s Crawford bet Armstrong and Barrett Aves.
he purchased the local newspaper and was editor of The Rains County Leader until he sold the paper in 1901.
Lucy Harris Hornbeck died in Rains Co., Texas and was buried in the Emory City cemetery.Denison Index
Her daughter, Lucy, had her mother's body exhumed and moved to be buried next to Jennie's.
Lucy Hornbeck is buried in Fairview Cemetery, Denison, so based on the family information
it is safe to assume that Jennie was also buried in Fairview Cemetery and the photograph of a
cemetery scene on the promotion card for Denison Monument Co. was taken at Fairview Cemetery.