120 West Main St
Diamonds, Watches and Jewelry Bought and Sold.
Railroad and Steamship Brokers. Loans.
Robinson, Frank M., comp. Industrial
Denison. [N.p.]: Means-Moore Co., [ca. 1909]. Page 51.
C. J. O'Maley : Diamonds,
Watches, Jewelry and General Merchandise, Musical Instruments, Talking
Machines, etc. 120 W. Main St.
famous house has been a feature of the business interests of Denison for the
past fourteen years, and Mr. O'Maley has always been an ardent champion of the
city and her brilliant future. It is well that he should be loyal to the
up-to-date and ever prosperous city, for Denison has bestowed her bounties upon
him with a generous hand. During the fifteen years he has been in business
here, he has, by close attention and intelligent management, achieved great
success. Mr. O'Maley is an able financier and understands marshalling his
assets with judicious skill. In addition to dealing in the above lines of
goods, he also does a general loan business, and there is scarcely any one man
in the city through whose hands more money passes in the course of a year. He
is thoroughly progressive as a citizen and does all he can for the benefit of
Source: “Denison, the Texas Gateway:
A Busy, Progressive City with Golden Opportunities.” 16pp. Brochure. N.p.: N.d.
C. J. O'Maley & Co.
109 East Main Street
From 1896 Denison
Denison High School
Christmas (December) 1910 edition
116 - 120 W. Main St.
1888, C. J. O’Maley, who had started his jewelry firm on East Main Street,
erected a new building at 120 West Main Street and remained there until the
1930s. O’Maley’s was described in 1909 as “O’Maley’s, Diamonds, watches and
Jewelry Bought and Sold; Railroad and Steamship Brokers; Loans.”
building, which always housed two separate stores as well as furnished rooms
upstairs, is perhaps the only intact nineteenth-century storefront remaining in
Denison. The structure is notable for original doors, suspended canopy, terra
cotta foliar relief panels on second-floor windows, and corbelling.
1936, C. J. McManus established Dad and Lad’s store in this building. He moved
it to 312 West Main Street in 1938, where he expanded it into a chain that even
operated on Guadalcanal when McManus, in the Navy, was stationed there in World
War II. A domino parlor and Davis Barber Shop were housed here in recent years.
O'Maley sign in sidewalk
Courtesy of Brian Christopher Hander
1998, John and Raquel Tellkamp purchased the O’Maley Building, opening their
Tellkamp Gallery in the west half. In 2000, they expanded the art gallery into
the east half and renovated the upstairs for living quarters, installing an
outdoor elevator-like “lift” at the back of the building.