On September 22, 1883, the first meeting
of the shareholders was held, and the articles of incorporation were
them. The first shareholders were: A. H. Coffin, A. R. Collins,
H. Lingo, W. C. Tignor, Alexander Renney, J. N. Johnson, W.
Segar, John C.
Waples, W. R. Green. The directors elected at that meeting were: A. H.
A. R. Collins, Samuel Hanna, E. H. Lingo, W. C. Tignor, Alexander
Renney, J. N.
Johnson, W. R. Green, Wilmot Segar; and the first officers were: J. N.
president; S. Hanna, vice president, and W. Segar, cashier. The
commence business was signed by John Jay Knox, then comptroller of the
currency, on September 28, 1883, and the number of this national bank
The first place of business of the bank was
in the rear of what was then the book store of W. G. Hughes, in 200
street, and in 1884 the present site on Main and Rusk streets was
the building erected. On June 1, 1887, Mr. Segar resigned as cashier,
and N. S.
Ernst was chosen his successor. In August, 1889, the controlling
interest of J.
N. Johnson was bought by Mr. R. C. Shearman, of Bradford, Pennsylvania,
associates, and on August 13 of the same year the number of directors
increased from six to eight, the additional members being S. G. Bayne,
York state, and R. C. Shearman, of Bradford, Pennsylvania. On the same
Johnson presented his resignation as president, and Mr. Shearman was
On June 30, 1890, Mr. Ernst resigned the
and was succeeded by G. L. Blackford. The capital stock which had till
been one hundred thousand dollars, was increased on July 29, 1890, to
hundred and fifty thousand dollars. October 16, 1890, Mr. Ernst also
his place as director, Mr. John Doyle succeeding him.
State National Bank
300 West Main Street
Enlarged half of a Verkin & Enos stereographic postcard in
SMU's digital collection.
Ten years after the organization of the
bank many of the old directors had ceased their connection, from death
reasons, and at that time the board comprised the following: Alexander
A. F. Platter, John Doyle, A. H. Coffin, J. B. McDougall,
W. C. Tignor, A.
Acheson, D. N. Robb, R. C. Shearman, G. L. Blackford. And the
officers: R. C.
Shearman, president; Alexander Renney, vice president; G. L. Blackford,
State National Bank
300 West Main Street
Source : Art Work of Grayson County (1895)
January 24, 1899, at a meeting of the
stock- holders, the capital stock was reduced from one hundred and
thousand dollars to the original figure of one hundred thousand
which amount it has since remained. On January 30, 1899, Vice President
removed to Indian Territory and resigned his office and in the
his death occurred at Pauls Valley, Indian Territory. Mr. A. F. Platter
elected his successor. On July 16, 1899, the bank lost another of its
Mr. Shearman, whose death occurred at Excelsior Springs, Missouri, of
disease. This necessitated several changes, and on the following August
W. Madden was elected director to succeed Mr. Renney, and G.
L. Blackford was
chosen president. At the same date Mr. Courtenay Marshall succeeded to
directorship vacated by the death of Mr. Shearman, and Mr. A. F.
elected first vice president and Mr. Marshall became second vice
G. Meginnis being chosen cashier.
In January, 1900, the following board was
elected: A. W. Acheson, E. H. Lingo, J. W. Madden, W. W. Elliott, J. B.
McDougall, A. F. Platter, D. N. Robb, W. C. Tignor, Courtenay Marshall,
Blackford. Mr. Marshall became actively associated with the affairs of
at this time, and continued so until 1902, in which year he moved to
Texas, to become secretary and treasurer of the Security Oil Company,
erected there the largest refining plant in the southwest. On leaving
he resigned the position of second vice president, and this office has
The present board of directors of the
State National are: A. F. Platter, J. B. McDougall, A. W. Acheson, D.
W. W. Elliott, E. H. Lingo, J. W. Madden, P. H. Tobin, Elihu B.
Hinshaw, G. L.
Blackford — all men of the highest integrity and financial reliability.
The sworn statements of the bank as issued
from time to time convey graphically the best idea of the status of
institution in Grayson county and northern Texas. In the first official
statement published December 31, 1883, the bank showed $48,288.29 on
with an undivided profit and surplus of $475. By December, 1885, the
had increased to $121,000, with $16,000 in undivided surplus and
years later the deposits were $168,000, with $45,000 of undivided
profits. At the close of 1889 the deposits were $509,000. When Mr.
controlling interest was purchased in that year the larger part of the
and divided profits were distributed among the stockholders. On
1891, $508,000 was on deposit, and the profits and undivided surplus
$43,000. December 19, 1893, the corresponding accounts showed $580,000,
$52,000, respectively. This year it will be remembered, was the
the hard times, when so many banks large and small throughout the
to the wall. December 13, 1895, the prosperity of this institution was
evidenced as shown by the figures, $705,000, deposits; $48,000, surplus
profits. September 15, 1897, under the same heads were $674,000, and
on December 2, 1899, $675,000, and $27,000; on December 10, 1 901,
and $38,000; and on November 17, 1903, $822,000 and $81,000. On
1904, the statement shows deposits to the amount of $814,000, and the
and undivided profits to be over $92,000. On December 31, 1905,
$1,026,000, with surplus and undivided profits of $100,000. The
now G. L. Blackford, president; A. F. Platter, vice president; W. G.
cashier; George Rue and T. F. Foley, assistant cashiers — young men
with the bank for some years past, who were promoted to fill these
account of its increased business. The total assets therefore foot up
to over a
February 6, 1939
HOMER WILSON GOES TO DENISON BANK
Feb. 6 (Special) - Mr. and Mrs. Homer Wilson of Bokchito, moved today
to Denison, where Mr. Wilson has accepted a position with the State
National bank, one of North Texas' largest banking institutions.
his graduation from the University of Oklahoma a year ago, Mr. Wilson
has been associated with the First State bank of Bokechito, as
assistant cashier. The bank was organized more than 25 years ago,
and operated by his father, the late H.S Wilson, until his death in
R.J. Miller, formerly connected with the Bokchito bank, will become assistant cashier.
Mrs. Wilson is the former Mildred Hess, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. C harles Hess, of Durant.
Friday, 3 December 1943
W L Peterson, President, announced new officers of the State National Bank :
J. Hetley Hutt – assistant national bank examiner
Hal P. Watkins – cashier
The State National Bank is the United
States depositary at Denison, and its affairs throughout have been
men of such high financial and business standing and with such due
the importance of the institution as a factor in the life of Texas that
reputation is as substantial and men rely up its acts as confidently as
the government itself.
100 South Rusk Avenue, west side
Looking north toward State National Bank on right side of photo
L. B. Burns truck visible on this side of State National Bank
Paddock, B. B. History
and Biographical Record of North and West
Texas. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906.
The State National Bank
of Denison, Texas [300 W. Main St.]
Among the monetary institutions
of the country which bear the prestige of years of useful and faithful
to the community wherein located, none stands forth more prominently or
possesses in a greater degree the full confidence of the public than
National Bank. The Bank has been established since 1883, and its
been one of steady progress and advancement along the lines of
good judgment; and during all the years of its business career this
has been responsive at all times to the financial wants of the
in periods of depression as in days of prosperity. The bank is today
one of the
riches, most influential and most substantial financial institutions in
A general banking business is transacted, the bank being equipped with
modern facilities. It has a capital of $100,000.00 surplus fund of
undivided profits $28,616.62, and deposits $1,083,550.54, according to
statement of Oct. 24, 1908.
officers include the
following prominent gentlemen: Messrs. G. L. Blackford, Prest.; A. F.
Vice-Prest.; Wm. G. Meginnis, Cashier; Geo. Rue, Asst. Cashier; T. F.
Asst. Cashier. Directors: A. F. Platter, Vice-Prest., Waples-Platter
Co.; J. B. McDougall, Vice-Prest., Denison Light and Power Co.; A. W.
M.D., M., K. & T. Railway Co.; D. N. Robb, Stockman; W. W.
Merchandise Broker; E. H. Lingo, Lumber; J. W. Madden, Dry Goods; P. H.
Treasurer, Denison Crystal Ice Co.; Elihu B. Hinshaw, Real Estate; G.
Blackford, President, all widely known, and each name inspires
Bank is surpassed by no institution here, nor is there any institution
interest in the development and prosperity of this city is keener or
identical. Its great resources stand out conspicuously as one of the
bulwarks of that financial safety and strength which give to Denison is
pre-eminent prestige as a leading commercial and industrial city.
“Denison, the Texas Gateway: A Busy, Progressive City with Golden
Opportunities.” 16pp. Brochure. N.p.: N.d. [ca. 1908].
Mavis Anne Bryant, Donald Lee Mayes of
Denison, Texas: An
Architectural Legacy (Denison, Texas: Denison Heritage Inc.,
much of its history, Denison
had two major banks. Facing each other across an intersection were the
Citizens’ National Bank at 231 West Main Street, and the State National
300 West Main Street. Both added drive-in facilities in 1957.
for a major remodeling of
the State National Bank in 1956, architect Donald Mayes carefully
ornate exterior while incorporating a recently acquired adjacent
Private offices of the bank’s president and executive vice present were
to new glass enclosures at the front of the bank, and a new conference
added. In 1957, a drive-in banking facility south of the main bank
added, with entry off South Rusk Avenue and West Chestnut Street.
banking facility behind State National Bank
300 West Main Street
Source : Mavis Anne Bryant, Donald Mayes of Denison, Texas : An
Architectural Legacy. c2001, p.19
As part of major changes in the
banking industry nationwide, both these local banks soon were acquired
larger banks based elsewhere, which now would make major decisions
operations in Denison. In 1970–71, Interfirst Bank demolished the
Beaux Arts–style State National Bank Building that had graced Main
around 1893, replacing it with an overscaled three-story white marble
West Main Street
NationsBank (now Bank of America), ca. 2000
In 1970–71, Interfirst Bank demolished the 1893 State National Bank
Building, replacing it with this large two-story white marble
structure. Source of photo: Mavis Anne Bryant, "Donald Mayes of
Denison, Texas: An Architectural Legacy" (2000), p. 19.