Located next to the
railroad tracks at 104 East Main Street, this large, elegant warehouse was built
in 1885 for the Waples-Platter Grocery Company. That year, Andrew Fox Platter
had formed a partnership with Edward B. Waples and his two sons, Paul and John.
Founded in Denison, the company became one of the largest wholesale grocery
firms in the Southwest, with its salesmen covering five states.
As the Wapco and White
Swan brands became widely known, coffee importing, roasting, packaging, and
sales became major elements of Waples-Platter’s business. W. J. Cockrell Sr.
(1889–1947) managed the coffee roasting operation, which produced 20,000 pounds
of coffee daily. Shown here in the coffee testing room, around 1920, are
Cockrell and Lingo Platter (1890–1929), a nephew of Andrew Fox Platter. (Above,
AWGC; below, IndDen.)