northwest corner of Rusk & Main St.
The “Club Rooms” upstairs
were operated by Charles Clymer and Enoch Hughes (operating as Clymer &
Hughes) in the 1880’s.
White Elephant Restaurant would have been in the partial picture of the
taller building to the left. The saloon was in 301 and 303 W.
Main and the restaurant was at 305 W. Main (east half of the building
305 - 307 building). The White Elephant Livery is behind the tall
building and is seen on the right side of the picture. There may
have been a funeral parlor in part of that location which is now the
Chawse Drive-In Bank facility.
The historic building in about 1910 was located on two of the original Denison city lots at 301
and 303 West Main, at the northwest corner of West Main and Rusk
This building was heavily damaged by a fire on
Christmas Eve of 1944. By October of 1945, a new and more
modern store was completed. In 1961, the historic lines were lost after a
complete remodeling project when a cement shell covered this
structure and the expanded space of a building next door at 305
West Main, acquired from the Esler Paint Store in the 1950's. A
few years later, in January of 1967, the building was destroyed by a
spectacular fire while thousands of people watched as they gathered around
the site. Note: The information in this paragraph was
obtained from the Denison Library's microfilm of the January
15, 1967 edition of the Denison Herald. From 1896 to 1967 the
Madden Department Store (originally Madden, Graham &
Co.) was located here, except for a few years in the 1950's when the
building was occupied by Dunlaps, a department store.
The present day building, 301-305 West Main
and shown lower right, was completed by Tobe and Angie Madden in
1967. Lilley's Department Store and Apple Furniture were previously
located in this building from 1968 to recent years.
Prior to the Madden's
Store opening in 1896, Hibbard Bros. Grocers was located here for
about three years.
From 1884 to 1892 the White Elephant Saloon
and Restaurant was in business at this location under a number of
different proprietors. The saloon, billiards, and
restaurant were on the first floor, and club (gambling) and sleeping rooms
were on the second floor, according to the Sanborn Fire
Insurance Maps of 1885 and 1892.
The building was owned by Owen McCarthy, and
later his heirs, from 1876 until the early 1900's. McCarthy operated his
hardware business here from about 1876 to 1883.
Owen McCarthy's name is on the cornice at
the center top of the old building.
The White Elephant Saloon, Ft. Worth
White Elephant of Denison, 1884 - 1892