Denison has many institutions of which it is justly proud, but if there
is one above another for which it has a peculiar affection, it is its
Municipal Hospital. This institution, dedicated to the cause of
suffering humanity, was made possibly by the voting of bonds in
sufficient amount to erect and equip a hospital with all modern
conveniences and appliances, and of sufficient capacity to accomodate
the needs of a much larger population. The institution is under
experienced management, having upon its staff practically every surgeon
and doctor of medicine in the city, all of whom take a special pride in
the success of the institution. The hospital is not only
patronized by the citizens of Denison who suffer the misfortune to need
hospital treatment, but it draws from surrounding towns and communities
within a radius of many miles to whom its reputation has spread as one
of the leading enterprises of its character in the State.
Sisters of Divine Providence, a Catholic sisterhood, took over
operation of the property in 1943, and Madonna Hospital opened its
doors on September 1, 1945, as a first-rate medical facility. By the
mid-1950s, it had become too small to serve the population, and a
larger hospital replaced it. - - - Denison, compiled by Donna Hunt & Dr. Mavis Bryant, Arcadia Publishing Co.
The property was later deeded to the Sisters of Divine Providence.
The place was completely refurbished in 1945 and the name was
changed to Madonna Hospital. The appearance of the building has
really been altered in recent times, and it is part of Texoma Medical
Madonna Hospital served the entire city for over half a century.
front detail of the hospital