Be sure to check both lists
Cemetery - West of Van Alstyne ~ Photographed 2009 !
Cemetery - West of Van Alstyne - Contains some abstracted info from Obituaries
Historical Marker Transcript
David Elliott (d. 1909) for whom this cemetery is named,
was a pioneer settler in the Southern part of Grayson County, born in Murphreesboro,
Tennessee, in 1817, he joined the crew on a boat on the Mississippi River
at an early age. He later served as a riverboat captain before his ordination
as a Baptist Minister.
In 1847, two years after Texas became a state, the
Rev. Mr. Elliott migrated to this are , settling on land at this site,
he noted evidence of earlier pioneers, including several graves with crude
markers of a sandstone not common to the area. The stones contained no
inscriptions or identifying marks.
When David Elliott's daughter, Virginia F. died in
1855, he interred her near the pioneer graves, later as other settlers
moved into the area, the Elliott Family Cemetery was opened for use as
a public burial ground. From 1905 until 1950, it was maintained by Pilgrim's
Rest Baptist Church, of which the Rev. Mr. Elliott was an organizer.
Other buried here include longtime residents, early
teachers and military veterans. Still used, the site serves as an important
historical reminder of the individuals and families who opened this area