Mrs. D. H. Johnston, the subject of this sketch, was born near Bloomfield, Chickasaw Nation, September, 1865. She was the daughter of J. R. Harper, a white man, who came to the territory from Louisburg, North Carolina, and a full-blood Chickasaw lady whose maiden name was Miss Serena Factor, and who assisted in the primary department for a while at Bloomfield when Parson Carr was contractor.
Mrs. Johnston was educated principally at Bloomfield Seminary, but attended Savoy College, in Texas, one term. She began teaching in 1884, near Pennington, ten miles northwest of Tishomingo, while Col. G. W. Harkins was Superintendent of Public Instruction of the Chickasaw Nation. The following year (1885) Mr. Johnston employed her as one of the teachers at Bloomfield, where she continued to teach four years in succession. Her intellectuality, her kind disposition and beautiful countenance won for her a host of friends.
In 1889 the subject of this sketch was
married to Mr. Johnston. Since her marriage she has retained her position as
teacher in his school, which she occupies at present. One daughter -- Wahneta
E., a lovely child -- blesses this marriage. Mrs. Johnston belongs to the house
of Incona (In-co-na).
Bloomfield Academy, a Chickasaw school for girls, was founded in 1852 by Rev. J. H. Carr and is located between present-day Kemp and Achille, OK. Control passed to the U.S. government after passage of the Curtis Act in 1898. Bloomfield Academy burned January 14, 1914. Later, Bloomfield Academy was moved to Ardmore.Courtesy of Oklahoma Historical Society
Native American Research
Grayson County TxGenWeb
Elaine Nall Bay