Bettie Harper (Mrs.
Douglas H. Johnston)
Mrs. D. H. Johnston, the subject of this
sketch, was born near Bloomfield, Chickasaw Nation, September, 1865. She was
the daughter of J. R. Harper, a white man, who came to the territory from
Louisburg, North Carolina, and a full-blood Chickasaw lady whose maiden name
was Miss Serena Factor, and who assisted in the primary department for a while
at Bloomfield when Parson Carr was contractor.
Mrs. Johnston was educated principally at
Bloomfield Seminary, but attended Savoy
College, in Texas, one term. She began teaching in 1884, near Pennington,
ten miles northwest of Tishomingo, while Col. G. W. Harkins was Superintendent
of Public Instruction of the Chickasaw Nation. The following year (1885) Mr.
Johnston employed her as one of the teachers at Bloomfield, where she continued
to teach four years in succession. Her intellectuality, her kind disposition
and beautiful countenance won for her a host of friends.
In 1889 the subject of this sketch was
married to Mr. Johnston. Since her marriage she has retained her position as
teacher in his school, which she occupies at present. One daughter -- Wahneta
E., a lovely child — blesses this marriage. Mrs. Johnston belongs to the house
of Incona (In-co-na).
Bloomfield Academy, a Chickasaw school for girls founded in 1852 by Rev. J.
H. Carr & located between present-day Kemp and Achille, OK.
Control passed to
the U.S. government after passage of the Curtis Act in 1898.
Jan. 14, 1914.
Later, Bloomfield Academy was moved to Ardmore.
Oklahoma Historical Society.