Dallas Morning News
August 20, 1899
FATALLY SHOT HIMSELF
Denison, Tex., Aug 19 - The city has not
been so terribly shocked
in many a day as it was this afternoon by the news of the death of
(mistake in paper, Edwin is the name) B. Benjamin, who committed
about 3 o'clock by shooting himself with a 32-caliber revolver.
The deed was committed at the home of his
parents, Mr. and Mrs.
C.L. Benjamin, No. 800 West Owing street. Deceased has been
a long time and of late has been very despondent. The story
as can be learned from his family is that he was downstairs on a lounge
reading a book. His mother was upstairs asleep, and there was
one in the room at the time. His sister, a little girl about
of age, had seen him with a pistol a few moments before, but thought
of it at the time. A few moments afterward the household was
by a pistol shot, and deceased's little nephew ran into the room and
him sitting upon the lounge with the pistol grasped in his right hand,
while the blood flowed from a wound in his right temple, where the
The boy screamed and the other members of
the household came running
into the room. He was dead when they reached his side, the
having entered his brain and death no doubt was
physician was summoned as soon as possible, but nothing could be
His father, who is chief clerk in the car shop department of the
Kansas and Texas, and his brother, who is employed in the National Bank
of Denison, were notified and were soon on the scene. The
is completely prostrated by the terrible tragedy and were unable to
the particulars of the case. There can be no cause for the
that stated above.
Deceased was a young man who had been
almost reared in the city,
quite popular in social circles, and his sudden death has come as a
shock, not only to his family but to his many friends and acquaintances.
He was a member of the old Denison rifles
and enlisted here when
the war broke out with Spain and served until mustered out.
at the Missouri, Kansas and Texas car shops for several years, but of
has been unable to do anything on account of illness. The
will be held at the home, 800 West Owing street, tomorrow afternoon at