Henry T. Walker
1857 - 1947
s/o Calvin John Walker & Elizabeth Frances Porter
Dr. Walker Dies Late Saturday
[Source: August 9 or 10,
1947, Denison, Texas]
Dr. Henry Thompson Walker, 90-year-old pioneer
Denison dentist, died Saturday [August 9, 1947] at 4:50 p. pm. at his home, 912
West Gandy, after a long illness.
Born in Lumpkin, GA, Feb. 24, 1857, Dr. Walker
came to Texas in 1870, living first near Calvert. He became an apprentice
watchmaker in Fort Worth a few years later, and he first came to Denison as a
watchmaker and jeweler in 1881.
Soon after, in 1884, Dr. Walker left for Philadelphia,
PA, to take the then prescribed two-year course for becoming a dentist at the
dental college which is now a branch of Temple University of Philadelphia.
At the age of 29, Dr. Walker set up his first
practice as a dentist to the army troops at Fort Sill and Fort Reno in the
Indian Territory wilderness now Oklahoma. Five years later, he returned to
Denison to set up an office here, first in the 200 block West Main, and later
in the 300 block West Main. He remained in practice here for 46 years, until he
lost his hearing in 1937 and was forced to retire.
Always a lover of the outdoors, and
particularly of fishing, Dr. Walker was instrumental in creating the Izaac
Walton League in Denison and remained a leader in the organization for many
Dr. Walker married Miss Isabel Porter, daughter
of J. H. Porter, pioneer Denison grocer and cotton buyer who came to Denison in
1874. They had two children, Henry Donald Walker, now a civil engineer in
Washington, D. C., and Miss Mildred Walker, a teacher at Denison High School. Mrs.
Walker died in 1940.
Funeral services will be conducted at 11:30 a.
m. Tuesday [Aug. 12] at the Bratcher-Moore chapel with the Rev. O. D. Reed Jr.,
rector of St. Luke's Episcopal Church, officiating. Burial will be at the
Aside from the son
and daughter, Dr. Walker is survived by a sister, Mrs. E. A. Dewitt of Dallas,
and one grandchild.