|The community of Hackberry was located approximately five miles northwest of present day |
Van Alstyne, Texas.
It was founded around 1840. It was a part of the Peters Colony which was organized by the Republic
of Texas to survey land, attract Settlers and issue land grants. A large portion of Hackberry settlers
came from Tallapoosa County, Alabama which had been severely affected by the Civil War.
only a few remanents of Hackberry remain. Hackberry Road, where the
town was situated, still exists. It runs from Highway 78, four
miles north of Van Alstyne W. to F.M. 121.
On Hackberry Road in Cavenders Trailer Park is a storm cellar which belonged to the Hackberry school.
school was located on, what was then, the Hodgin family farm. The
Hackberry cemetery is located approximately 1,000 feet south of where
Hackberry road crosses the East Prong of White's Creek. The cemetery
consists of an area 50 x 75 feet which was fenced at one time. Most of
the cement fence posts still stand.
Of interest is that then name engraved on one of the markers is "Douglass" spelled with two S's.
In the cemetery, there are the following known family plots: Douglas, Wilson, Wilson, and Garroth.
Descendants of Hamilton Douglass (Sr.) and Mary A. Gill
Source: Survey of Hackberry Cemetery on April 7, 1985 by H.Wackwitz
HACKBERRY SCHOOL DISTRICT MAP